What lathe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We actually have a HVAC contractor in our called "Getairdone" No joke!

I hate to revive a real old thread. Is a simplex lathe a good one? It's an older unit 10x24".

I hate to revive a real old thread. Is a simplex lathe a good one? It's an older unit 10x24".

From the pictures/info at the website that Stihl041S mentioned, those machines will be ancient designs by today's standards. They appear to have been designed to be run from lineshafts in an industrial setting and not have an electric motor integral to the design. If you're talking about one with an electric motor, then it's been adapted(not uncommon for older machines) to operate from one and that could be good or bad depending on who did the work and how it was done. Some work well and some, not so much. I didn't look very closely, but it may also use change gears for different feed rates and threads per inch. Change gears aren't a bad thing necessarily(assuming it comes with all of them), but it's a lot more hassle than a quick change gearbox. You also won't be cutting metric threads without doing some calculation to find, IIRC, another input gear, buying it, and machining it to fit the shaft.

Without looking at the machine in question and being able to lay hands on it, I couldn't tell you if it's worthwhile or not. It's not uncommon for older machines to have worn ways, especially up near the headstock where most work is done. It's also not uncommon for the leadscrews and nuts to be severely worn. Most(at least from my experience) use left hand acme thread for the leadscrews and a lot of times people will replace it with right hand thread and then the dials are backwards. Something else of note is that some lathes are "2 for 1" and others are "1 for 1", meaning that on some machines when you dial in .001" on the compound or crossfeed on a "2 for 1", it will remove .002" from the diameter. I've never run across a machine with a dial on the carriage travel that was 2 for 1, though it wouldn't surprise me if they exist.

Pick up a copy of home shop machinist magazine and/or search for machinist forums. There used to be one called practicalmachinist, but I don't know if it's still in use or not.

Practical Machinist is alive and well

Largest technical forum, but a pro forum.

Read the rules and don't ask about Chinese machines. Don will lock the thread.

Incredible forum.

Covers everything about machines and what machines make. Like everything.

Two types of things in the world......things God made.....and things machinists made. LOL

Incredible forum.

Two types of things in the world......things God made.....and things machinists made. LOL

Excellent........ :rock:

Your saw had to have a fuel line Rob.............we're getting it running just right before we dive in.

Incredible forum.

It's a very good source of information. I've been using it a lot lately as I've been in the market for a 2 axis CNC mill.

FYI use the google site command to search only that forum.
Int the google search bar type
Site:practicalmachinist.com
Followed by your normal search criteria.

Incredible forum.

It's been a long while since I've been over there. There were several others, but I can't remember the names. I know home shop machinist magazine has one.

Your last statement is very true.

It's been a long while since I've been over there. There were several others, but I can't remember the names. I know home shop machinist magazine has one.

Your last statement is very true.

A kid came home from school and asked what his dad did. The other kids were bragging on their lawyer and accountant dads.

"I'm a machinist"

What exactly does a machinist make?

The father took the kid to the window and had him look out on the city.

There are two kinds things out there son........

A kid came home from school and asked what his dad did. The other kids were bragging on their lawyer and accountant dads.

"I'm a machinist"

What exactly does a machinist make?

The father took the kid to the window and had him look out on the city.

There are two kinds things out there son........

I'm probably going to have a similar talk with my son in a few years, only difference is that we don't live in town. :D

Latest posts

Back