What lathe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lathe or mill

I looked at a lot of lahtes and mills I wanted US made even if used ; I bought china with tiwand head like Sharp.same with the lathe, it is just the way Randy said it is, you will spend about 1&1/2 days cleaning and adjusting.Then get ready to more on tooling.I believe you will happyer than with a 1930's machine. I say this because I am. Steve

I looked at a lot of lahtes and mills I wanted US made even if used ; I bought china with tiwand head like Sharp.same with the lathe, it is just the way Randy said it is, you will spend about 1&1/2 days cleaning and adjusting.Then get ready to more on tooling.I believe you will happyer than with a 1930's machine. I say this because I am. Steve

Zactly!! Buy what you need and is good. All Asian isn't bad. I'm looking at a $650,000 machine that turns, drills and taps one end of a piece. Then transfers it to another chuck and does the same on the other end.

But a good 1930s SB is a good lathe. It won WW2. A bad one is a bad one.

Hobby guys want small, so their demand keeps prices up. The bigger stuff isn't wanted in industry because they've gone to cnc. This leaves good machines being sent to South America, India, and china for cheap.

That's the main problem over here in europe. I've been looking for a small lathe for years, but since there are so many restorers of cars, bikes, etc, these small lathes go for high dollars in europe. The internet is full of adds from people searching for one.

I have an eye on a nice machine that belongs to a retired metal worker (incl. lots of tools), but he's so attached to it that he won"t let it go for the time being, although he doesn"t use it anymore. Great tips in this thread as well. Everybody tells me to take a machinist with you when you go to check one out ; there are a lot of things to look for.

That's the main problem over here in europe. I've been looking for a small lathe for years, but since there are so many restorers of cars, bikes, etc, these small lathes go for high dollars in europe. The internet is full of adds from people searching for one.

I have an eye on a nice machine that belongs to a retired metal worker (incl. lots of tools), but he's so attached to it that he won"t let it go for the time being, although he doesn"t use it anymore. Great tips in this thread as well. Everybody tells me to take a machinist with you when you go to check one out ; there are a lot of things to look for.

Call these guys up, they'll set you up. They are very big on Myford lathes.

Model Engineering and engineering tools online from RDG Tools Ltd Home Page (Engineering Tools) Tel 01422 885069 /884605

$1,500 asking price, with "lots of extra tools".

5T25Fd5H23G23J23N2c7p0cfbc4ff8-M.jpg

Brad were i work has about 10 just like that and they are solid i have been their since 94 and i remember them replaceing one compond.I keep waiting for them to start replaceing them so i can get one of the old one's but it hasent happend yet.

That turret lone is worth $1k, but note there is no compound so you would be stuck with something you cannot use. The turret is used to hold up to six individual tools so you could drill, ream and other a piece.

If the used Grizzly can hold good tolerances then go for it. You can learn on the machine, it'll do what you want to do, and show you the limitations of a small machine so you can save money and spend the time learning what you will purchase in the future to replace the it.

Brad,

Just remember one thing when it comes to mills and lathes.

"The cost of the machine tool is just the deposit".

If you buy a lathe that includes a few boxes of tooling you will likely be getting more value in those boxes than in the machine itself. Try to buy something from a private party that includes all of his tooling.

You want a 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck if possible, drill chuck, boring bar, quick change toolpost, knurling tools, live centers, power feeds, face plate and drive dog, and a 5c collet chuck would be nice also. If any of these terms are jargon to you, research them before you buy.

Good luck, and try to buy "old" quality.

If the used Grizzly can hold good tolerances then go for it. You can learn on the machine, it'll do what you want to do, and show you the limitations of a small machine so you can save money and spend the time learning what you will purchase in the future to replace the it.

Not a bad idea. Of course, I might not ever replace it either. It belongs to a member here. He's only selling it to get something bigger to fit his needs.

What say the masses about a used Grizzly 9x19 w/stand for $750. This is a known good machine from a reputable source.
G4000 9" x 19" Bench Lathe
G4001 Lathe Stand for G4000

I was looking at this exact lathe locally a few months ago for the same price! The "fun" money just wasn't there at the time, or I would have gotten it.

Not a bad idea. Of course, I might not ever replace it either. It belongs to a member here. He's only selling it to get something bigger to fit his needs.

The deal's getting sweeter too. I just found out that it comes with a drill chuck, knurling tool, and a hand full of cutters. Sounds like a road trip might be coming up in the near future.

That turret lone is worth $1k, but note there is no compound so you would be stuck with something you cannot use. The turret is used to hold up to six individual tools so you could drill, ream and other a piece.

Just waking up and catching up on the thread.

Not your first rodeo for sure!!!!!

And you got some buckles along the way I'll bet.

Need anything up there let me know.

Car or boat to get to your place?

I have a 1973 SB 10K which is the light ten and just love it. It was used and abused when i got it but she has been the best lathe for me. I also have a SB heavy 10 or 10L and a SB 15" which is rather big but still fits in my basement. My basement looks like a school shop as its all machine tools. I also have a SB drill press from the closed factory in SB and a SB metal shaper which i really like...Bob

Back