What lathe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
why do i picture brad getting one of those 3 phase lathes,ditching the electic motor and mounting a chainsaw powerhead up to spin the chucks ........

Here's the DV-59 I posted the pic of earlier. hardinge dv-59 tool room lathe

Nice!! But still hire a machine rebuilder to check it.
Those compounds last a LONG time but rebuild to spec was $2500......

30 years ago. But you gotta be stupid to wreck one.

A rebuilder can tell what needs work. A bargaining chip.

Like a lover, steak or Motorcycle. You remember your first GREAT one.

It gives you an insite that you will remember with lesser quality.

The problem with buying used is that I have no idea what I'm looking for. What about a 9" Southbend model A?

Take Nick with ya hes a machinest and will know what to look for,there is nothing more frustrating than working with a worn out,in accurate machines trust me there.The headstock bearings needs to be spot on,slide ways need to be true (so dont turn tappers) check gibbs and lead screw nuts for wear and so.
You will find endless uses for a lathe and have a lot of fun learning the skills involved in there use.:smile2:

Brad, these guys are 4 hours north of ya -- and might have more to offer than that one auction? Not that that lathe is bad. . . Might be worth contacting them to see, and have a road trip "man day" with Nik looking over a lathe. :rock:

As far as that Grizzly goes, the guy has it up for barter (maybe he needs a chainsaw *wink wink*), and you'd have some cash surplus for tooling, etc.

The same guys are selling this one. HARDINGE DV59 LATHE 9" X 18" | eBay

Truer words were never spoken. They'll kill you instantly too. Someone had posted on PM a series of police photos of a poor soul in a shop who had been polishing up and axle. From what was left of the mess it was determined his sleeve got caught by the axle and was wrapped up, drawing him into the chuck. It wasn't for the faint of heart. A little 9" can break your fingers/wrist/arm quick as a wink.

I watched a guy in school snag a t shirt in a newer Clausing. He was turning aluminum and that red t shirt turned into red lint. He is lucky it didnt kill him. He was the epitome of goof off, but I could tell that ordeal scared him, scared me to see it happen. If he would have been turning slower, it would have pulled him in it.

Power feed isn't needed for what these chainsaw nuts are doin, or really for the small stuff I do with my South Bend...

I agree, but one thing that has not been mentioned is a quick change gear box. I had one without it and I would have been better off useing my neighbors 9" SB that had one. Tom

Craftsman 6" Lathe

This is not a bad deal at all. Craftsman 109.01 or Atlas 101. In your price range, and something you can learn with. Not a production machine, but would do what you are wanting to do.

Let's look at........facts.

What thread are you going to cut for a chainsaw.

Most everything in this thread is opinion - my opinion is buying a 2nd op machine as a primary tool is idiotic.

Do you really base every purchase you make on the narrowest of circumstances? Yes, he "thinks" he only needs it to do cylinder work, but having a "real" lathe opens up so much more opportunity to do other work. There is a world outside that doesn't involve chainsaws, you know...

My lathe was $26,000 when it was new in 1975 money. Yes, it's 37yrs old, just like me. I've had it about 4 years now, and never once have I said "gee, I wish I couldn't chuck this part up." Or, "if only I didn't have all this power." I paid 5k for it, and it came with some nice tooling. Money well spent.

Lathes are like pole barns - always get one bigger than you think you'll need.

Something else to consider: bigger used manual machinery is often cheaper than the smaller stuff. Hobby guys want small, so their demand keeps prices up. The bigger stuff isn't wanted in industry because they've gone to cnc. This leaves good machines being sent to South America, India, and china for cheap.

Most everything in this thread is opinion - my opinion is buying a 2nd op machine as a primary tool is idiotic.

Do you really base every purchase you make on the narrowest of circumstances? Yes, he "thinks" he only needs it to do cylinder work, but having a "real" lathe opens up so much more opportunity to do other work. There is a world outside that doesn't involve chainsaws, you know...

My lathe was $26,000 when it was new in 1975 money. Yes, it's 37yrs old, just like me. I've had it about 4 years now, and never once have I said "gee, I wish I couldn't chuck this part up." Or, "if only I didn't have all this power." I paid 5k for it, and it came with some nice tooling. Money well spent.

Lathes are like pole barns - always get one bigger than you think you'll need.

Something else to consider: bigger used manual machinery is often cheaper than the smaller stuff. Hobby guys want small, so their demand keeps prices up. The bigger stuff isn't wanted in industry because they've gone to cnc. This leaves good machines being sent to South America, India, and china for cheap.

Pretty sound advice fer most things really!

Rod hates his mill, as it's too small for what he's used to and wants. . . To me it would be a huge mill. :laugh:

I stand by my earlier advice . . . Brad should go to Manville (Man-Mart?) with Nik. Pictures are good, but picking over a lathe in person is better!

:msp_w00t:

Check out this one. I was turned onto it by another AS sponsor. These have been gone through and are ready to go. LATHEMASTER8x14Lathe.htm

That one is the very same one as this one from HF--

This one-

8" x 12" Benchtop Lathe

It gets very good reviews. It was on my shopping list until I stumbled across the 7x HF lathe for cheap. You can find HF 20% off coupons in the back of lots of magazines. Be prepared to spend several hundred more to get the tooling and gauges you need.
Littlemachineshop.com is a good place to look for accessories and information.

LatheMaster calls it a 14", HF calls it 12". It is in fact a 14" bed.

Latest posts

Back