What lathe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe it or not, I can run a 220V line:) So, this phase converter would allow me to run a 440V motor on 220V?

Yes, the 440v motor would be a three-phase motor. . . It will be, by far, the most common when buying industrial equipment. It's also the cheapest to buy because most people don't have access to 3-phase.

You should read up a little on what 3-phase means -- it's not complicated. My old man used to work for a gun smith that would start his big lathes with a pull rope and run them on 240v.

Now I'm really going to show my ignorance. I know next to nothing about electronics. Do I have to buy a 110 V or 220V unit? Most all of the units are 440V.

Honestly, I would snag a 220 or 110. It isnt a big deal on most equipment to interchange motors (and can be relatively cheap). Only problem with 110 and 220, they are much more marketable to the average joe, and typically you would pay for them. I think metals mentioned it, there are
3 phase units out there, that have sold for scrap weight because of their size/ power. Just keep pounding away at "metal lathe" on CL. I have seen a couple others at the same time I sold mine for a decent deal. I have my eye on an older Clausing right now that I have been meaning to buy. I think youll find something in the near future, I think some of these guys listing some of this stuff that was their dads or whatever that they dont know how to use, are just crap shootin' on price. Im sure youll find a deal.

Now I'm really going to show my ignorance. I know next to nothing about electronics. Do I have to buy a 110 V or 220V unit? Most all of the units are 440V.

Do you have a dryer in the house? Stove? Those are 220v. Motors can be rewired for 220v for cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUTH-BEND-...094?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564ba2fc5e

Heavy 10. Euclid Ohio. What are you waiting for? Right now on eGay I see a bed turret, taper attachments, collet attachments, milling attachments, all for the Heavy 10. Note: Don't get a 10K, it is a slightly different model SB and goodies are almost as hard to find as are they for my Model O.

For a tad more there are a couple in Toledo complete with tooling that'd add $1k to above. Man....

Last edited:
$1,500 asking price, with "lots of extra tools".

5T25Fd5H23G23J23N2c7p0cfbc4ff8-M.jpg

That is a speed lathe, you don't want it. Notice there is no feed shaft or screw so you'll be stuck feeding by hand all the time. The gear feeds are nice to produce a consistent surface.

The Grizzly lathes are surprisingly good for an import. There are on par with Jet and Enco branded machines and will work fine once you get the cosmoline off them. A friend has a 12x36 and it holds great tolerances and he hasn't had any issues. The chucks (3 jaw and independent 4) that came with the machine are adequate.

I picked up an older Jet 13x40 (green colored) a few years ago for $1500 with a enough tooling to get started. I had to switch the 3 phase 220 motor for a single phase 220. I used a dual voltage motor since it only needed 3 contactors to be reversing thus I was able to rewire the existing contactors in the machine. The motor came used from the local electric motor shop and cost less than a VFD.

This may be a little far to drive but it's a decent deal. It already has a quick change toolpost which IMO is a necessity but you'd still have to buy a 4 jaw chuck (probably a D1-3 mount so $100-$250 depending on what quality you wanted). Enco 9x20 Metal Lathe with Stand

I would personally beat this guy down to $1200 and call it a day. It may not be a benchtop model but it won't take up much space. ~~12X36 GRIZZLY LATHE AND STAND F/S F/T~~
It's looks like it comes with another probably better than original 4-jaw, some extra tool holders for the quick change and probably some carbide tooling. I would guess somewhere between $500-1000 of extras and it will do anything you'll ever what to do for a chainsaw (even turn a 3120 cylinder).

Do you have a dryer in the house? Stove? Those are 220v. Motors can be rewired for 220v for cheap.

SOUTH BEND CL187R LATHE 10" X 39" | eBay

Heavy 10. Euclid Ohio. What are you waiting for? Right now on eGay I see a bed turret, taper attachments, collet attachments, milling attachments, all for the Heavy 10. Note: Don't get a 10K, it is a slightly different model SB and goodies are almost as hard to find as are they for my Model O.

For a tad more there are a couple in Toledo complete with tooling that'd add $1k to above. Man....

Brad, these guys are 4 hours north of ya -- and might have more to offer than that one auction? Not that that lathe is bad. . . Might be worth contacting them to see, and have a road trip "man day" with Nik looking over a lathe. :rock:

As far as that Grizzly goes, the guy has it up for barter (maybe he needs a chainsaw *wink wink*), and you'd have some cash surplus for tooling, etc.

Sorry but the pic Brad posted is not a speed lathe.

Hardinge Speed Lathe has a shorter bed. 4500RPM

It is a DV-59. 3000 or so RPM. Same head as Speed Lathe.

The TBF (TFB?) has drive shafts for power feed, but does't cut threads.

You could use your CNC mill as a lathe:

[video=youtube;8O_EanaXtSw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O_EanaXtSw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Sorry, I couldn't help myself;)

You have already heard this, but if you go to buy a used machine take Nik with you. He will be able to tell the wheat from the chaff.

Some training would help as lathes, even small ones, do not suffer fools. Lathes can cause severe injury quickly.

Good luck in your search!!

Brad, these guys are 4 hours north of ya -- and might have more to offer than that one auction? Not that that lathe is bad. . . Might be worth contacting them to see, and have a road trip "man day" with Nik looking over a lathe. :rock:

As far as that Grizzly goes, the guy has it up for barter (maybe he needs a chainsaw *wink wink*), and you'd have some cash surplus for tooling, etc.
And just exactly what saw do you want me to part with?!;)

Some training would help as lathes, even small ones, do not suffer fools. Lathes can cause severe injury quickly.

Good luck in your search!!

Truer words were never spoken. They'll kill you instantly too. Someone had posted on PM a series of police photos of a poor soul in a shop who had been polishing up and axle. From what was left of the mess it was determined his sleeve got caught by the axle and was wrapped up, drawing him into the chuck. It wasn't for the faint of heart. A little 9" can break your fingers/wrist/arm quick as a wink.

Had a guy right next to me sling a chuck key out of a 16X40 set on 1500. Sounded like a gunshot when it hit the wall. He got the "stare".

Idiotic is an opinion

Let's look at........facts.

What thread are you going to cut for a chainsaw.

That tool room lathe could you get for a grand. A new Hardinge is $50,000 plus tooling of you could get one.

That Dv-59;

The compound is worth a grand.

.000020 TIR from the factory.

Set up for 5C collets.

That chuck is worth $400 if a Hardinge.

Rigid enough to pull a curly chip off of carbide.

When the European Union built their first composit fighter jet ALL the rivets for the composite were made on a DV-59.

Tapernose for 2,3,4, or 6 jaw chuck.

A 5 C drive collet to 6 inch diameter.

Great resale value.

Back