what limits RPM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has anyone else ever ran a 2 stroke w/o the muffler in the dark or dim light and looked into the exhaust??? the blue flame lights up the inside completely and the piston is moving so fast that it dissappears. really neat sight.

i still think the speed of sound, which limits the speed of air movement, is ultimately the limiter. of course that limit could be overcome w/ compressed air, maybe?:dizzy: :dizzy:

where is spacemule when we need him

I think your on to something..................

"The bearings in a turbine survive at 100,000RPM + for hundreds of hours"

Hundreds? Like 200? Just kidding, however we have a John Deere 4020 diesel with 26K hours and its on its original mains (Lower rpms = longer life in my mind). That and turbines are a different story entirely, they are not subjected to the same environment that they are in an internal combustion engine. (Just my opinions)

Exactly ..........totally different
Turbine bearings are loaded EVENLY with relatively constant pressure(no power stroke)
Internal combustion engines have to deal with the battering of the power stroke 150 times a second ! .........yikes

Back