What makes a perfect flipline???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After you click on the "quote" button do not remove or change the brakets at the end of the quote. Just do a return and start your post

Re: Flipline systems -- The Wirecore Flipline

Originally posted by Tree Machine

Second lastly, in an earlier thread, there was a statement of a chainsaw having been shown to go through a steelcore flipline in less than a second. Under test conditions, I've no doubt you can make this happen. However, in 'in-tree' conditions I speak from experience, if you are momentarily careless enough to hit your flipline, colorful nylon fuzz will fly everywhere, and there will be a ratcheting vibration through the flipline and INTO your saddle. If these two rather obvious clues aren't enough to make you shut off your saw immediately, then have a nice landing. A regular rope, or nylon buckstrap, I'm sorry, the chainsaw will go right through it, and unless you're roped into a TIP up higher, you're in-flight. That's precisely WHY they make wire core fliplines.

I made that statement, not to discourage people from using steel core fliplines (SCFs), but to make them aware that SCFs are not chainsaw proof.
You are right, a SCF will divert an angled blow from a chainsaw. You have apparently experienced that yourself and I have witnessed it happen to another climber. Nonetheless, in addition to the controlled tests that I mentioned, I have also heard of people cutting themselves out of a tree despite the fact that they were using a SCF. SCFs may provide an extra margin of safety, but they are not invincible and people should be aware of that.

In the research that I have done, I found that SCFs were originally manufactured for use on the west coast to stiffen the line and make it easier to 'flip' the line up large trees. Although SCFs are now widely used as added protection against inadvertent contact with a chainsaw, I don't know of any manufacturer that says that SCFs are chainsaw proof. No climber should assume this either.

Mahk

The code needed for bold is bracketing with in front and putting a slash (/) in front of the alpha character to close it.

italics is
[/email]

[url]

What I did to your last post was to put the [/quote] at the end of tims paragraph.

I find it easier to hit the quote key in a reply, enter a single space then cut and paste the lines I want in between the codes.

quote] PASTE TEXT [/quote]

I left the first brackets out so everything wound show up

This is my 6th or 7th lanyard in the last 10 yrs. I've been using this (pictured) now for 9 months, with a microcender and have nothing but good things to say. -TM-

Steelcore and a microcender

How can you use that with a Microcender? The MC is a one way tool. Doesn't the lanyard slip when you use the opposite end?

Yessir, the MC is a one-way device, and that's how I use it. Always.

99% of the time I clip/unclip from my left side, and use the MC conventionally. There are those moments, such as limbwalking way out in no-man's land where where I might use the opposite end (right side clip), but it would not require the use of the microcender.

For example, I need to do an impossible cut out in no-man's land and its going to require a hard-right lean to almost horizontal. for this, I can unclip from the right side of my saddle, go around an adjacent limb and use both safety snaps on my saddle's left side. OR, similarly, right-side snap around an adjacent limb to my left, and clipped back to the flipline itself (choker), giving me extra length from that 2nd tie-in point. It's just about having extra versatility and options for your 2nd TIP. -TM-

Last edited:
Back