What makes the MS 261 better than the 346 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustyb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I searched through some threads and don't recall seeing a ton of info re the 261 vs 346. Maybe I missed something.

At any rate, I'm not clear on the price difference but it appears the 346 can be had for $50-75 less (is that right???) which is something a cheap sucker like me can't ignore. On the other hand, the nearest Husky dealer is 60+ miles away. I have two Stihl dealers right here in town, one less than 2 miles away.

I have a MS 260 but the air filter has griped me to no end since I've owned it...and my tendons beg for better anti-vibe.

I've read good things about the Dolmar but not having a dealer any where close dampens the enthusiasm there.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Last edited:
They are both excellent saws, but I still prefer my 346. The 261 does have the best filtration on the market. Both are worlds ahead of the 260 in every way.

+1

They sure do look great though....

attachment.php

If dealer support is important to you though........

Both taken when new.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBKc8sZqdZk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBKc8sZqdZk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GAiw6PtgeP0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GAiw6PtgeP0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

I'm Happy to read this. Since you handle sooooo many saws I'm glad you like the 346 just a smidge more.

Honestly, I'm probably not the best person to get input from. My judgement is based entirely on my modified saws. 99% of the saws out there will remain stock. The 261 has a few features the I definately prefer over the 346. But using the 346 is just............it's just............well, perfect.

Honestly, I'm probably not the best person to get input from. My judgement is based entirely on my modified saws. 99% of the saws out there will remain stock. The 261 has a few features the I definately prefer over the 346. But using the 346 is just............it's just............well, perfect.

From what I know of you the fact that you like something other than Stihl says a lot about that saw. Just saying:D

I realllllllllllllllllllllly like my MS261 and the new air filtration is what did it for me.

From what I know of you the fact that you like something other than Stihl says a lot about that saw. Just saying:D

I realllllllllllllllllllllly like my MS261 and the new air filtration is what did it for me.

It's the ONLY Husky I own! That's just how much I do like it. There are many more great Huskys, but the 346 has my heart.

MWEBA, that's a stock CAT 346?

Yes cat is present in that vid. Didn't stay that way long though.

Muffler is stock on the 261 at that time as well.

Its all in the flippy caps, they make all the difference in the world!

I've not had great experiences with them but these are new and improved versions.

Buy the MS 261 you'll like it. I've just about finished cutting up that large Maple log with my 261 and 20" B&C. It's getting a workout. But it can take it. Plus it cuts much better since I have the yellow chain.

Both taken when new.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBKc8sZqdZk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KBKc8sZqdZk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

What bar is that mweba, and is the saw stock?

18" .058 .325 Saw was stock. Only mod I ended up doing to it was adding another port to the muffler and gutting the cat.

I just posted in another thread about these two models.
I have both, they are used in a commercial firewood business and I prefer the 261. They 346xp was and is the only Husky I owned, it is a great saw. For use in what is almost strictly a firewood cutting operation we like what we perceive as a wider more useable power band on the 261 . (Stock saw/non-modified) The air filter set up is the best on the market. The in board clutch and captive bar nuts are two things we prefer on the 261. The 261 is the smoothest saw you will ever run imho. We have ours set up with a 18" bar. For people who cut firewood for themselves this saw will handle 90% of what any firewood cutter will ever run across. Set all the enthusiast and power junkies aside on this site and the truth is this saw will do all that most will need done unless you truly are a professional tree trimmer, logger, or in the commercial firewood business.
It's hard to go wrong with either saw, both are good as said in another post dealer support and personal preference is important.
I'd buy the 261 and never look back.

My guess is,

Could it be, it's a Stihl?

My guess is,

Could it be, it's a Stihl?

Well that's very informative,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not.:tongue2:

Both are fine saws the 261 may have a little more power, and better filtration. Like Brad I simply like the the feel, weight, power and overall construction of the 346.

Last edited:
Back