What makes the ms361 so great?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it, James "Son" Thomas. I don't remember hearing any of his music though.:confused:

Bingo. Beefsteak Blues. Well, you'd have to be a blues geek to have heard his music. He mostly played from West Helena to Clarksdale to Indianola and on down to Greenville. Played hundreds of little towns in between. Never got the big break. But, you want Delta blues, this is as good as any. I liked Son Thomas and RL Burnside (Hill Country blues) because when you hear them play acoustic, you say, "Oh, that's their best". When they play electric, you say, "Oh, that's their best".

At least RL became quite popular a few years before his demise.

And I'm goona do, do like Henry Ford,
Breakfast in the mourin', and sup on down the road,

joat

Last edited:
Bingo. Beefsteak Blues. Well, you'd have to be a blues geek to have heard his music. He mostly played from West Helena to Clarksdale to Indianola and on down to Greenville. Played hundreds of little towns in between. Never got the big break. But, you want Delta blues, this is as good as any. I liked Son Thomas and RL Burnside (Hill Country blues) because when you hear then play acoustic, you say, "Oh, that's their best". When they play electric, you say, "Oh, that's their best".

At least RL became quite popular a few years before his demise.

And I'm goona do, do like Henry Ford,
Breakfast in the mourin', and sup on down the road,

joat

Cool deal, sounds like good music. Blues type music sounds great through an electric. I have a few Stevie Ray Vaughn albums, awesome stuff!!

You boys have a good night! I'm outta here.:)

I've run sh#$%y Poulan up to the MS 880 on 6' western red cedar.

+1 to all above, plus something that I just learned is the muffler system in the MS 361 and MS 441 have a "stratified muffler", from what the dealer explained, that reduces the unburned mixed-gas emissions from the muffler from 25% to 5% reducing pollution plus increasing HP.
And because of the muffler design, it is the only chainsaw that never experiences suck back.

The guy that works on my saws had never even seen a 361 before mine and he bit$hed and moaned about this new saw, until he began working on it and he thought the intake porting on the 361 was already a great thing, and he stated that the muffler has enough holes in inside that he didn't see the point of cutting it out. I don't know if this is true, but he stated there were at least the same or more than on a 660. He just added another hole and called it a day????

I know this thing runs like a striped ape and spins way, way faster after porting the exhaust and muffler.........hows that for scientific, LOL.

Sam

Very true, I read on here about people whining about the 361 and 441 being "strato" saws??? The 361 is a great leap forward in my opinion. I run both the 036 pro and the 361 in stock and now modded form and the 361 just plain kicks the 036 in all department (including price I will admit), but when I use my saws I use them to make money and I won't bitc$ about a little more cost for something faster and more efficient in the long run.

My next saw is going to be a 441 and its going straight to the sawman to get the porting and muffler work done. I don't really even care to start it up in stock form, as I know this 361 would put it to shame. I am going to see how close we can get to making 660ish power without the weight and without the horrible gas mileage that the 460 gets after being modded.

The Anti Vibe on the 361 is simply incredible (I assume the 441 is similiar), and it makes 14 hour cutting days no problem, especially when such days with a 660 will just about cause a full lock up the next morning, LOL.

My opinion,

Sam

Sam, anti-vibe on the 441 is so much smoother.

Very true, I read on here about people whining about the 361 and 441 being "strato" saws???

(snip)

The Anti Vibe on the 361 is simply incredible (I assume the 441 is similiar), and it makes 14 hour cutting days no problem, especially when such days with a 660 will just about cause a full lock up the next morning, LOL.

The 361 is not a starto saw. The 441 is, and that makes modding it more difficult, and the results less than appealing compared to the previous versions of Stihl saws (like modding the 361).

As for anti-vibe, the 361 is superior in that regard. I ran 6 tanks of gas through mine yesterday with a 25 inch bar felling and bucking up a 38 inch DBH box elder maple. My hands were fine after 6 hours of solid cutting. I was testing the vibe yesterday pressing my thumb on the top of the unsprung motor top while it was reved wide open and the dampening effects of the springs is amazing. With the 460, my hands were buzzed out and tingly after running only two tanks of gas. Granted, two tanks of gas in the 460 did 30% more cutting in the same time, but I could not run it for long periods of time.

My next saw is going to be a 441 and its going straight to the sawman to get the porting and muffler work done. I don't really even care to start it up in stock form, as I know this 361 would put it to shame. I am going to see how close we can get to making 660ish power without the weight and without the horrible gas mileage that the 460 gets after being modded. ...

I suspect the stratified 441 will not make improvements comparable to the older designs when modded.......:jawdrop:

What you have to say around here doesn't matter anyway. Your lack of knowledge is known.

We don't have the same size trees as they do in other parts so not much need for anything larger.

Learn something before you do any bashing again. Get's old after awhile.

Almost forgot. You are just another Wanabe.:dizzy:

LMFAO!

im sorry my tree is bigger than yours but i could tell that just by your attitude.

lack of knowledge? :confused:

i understand you may not like what i have to say but it is the truth.

im far from the only person on here that think the exact same thing about the 361. they just keep it to themself for the most part because they dont want to deal with yahoo's like you.

seem what i say does matter or it wouldnt warrent a responce from yourself.

:popcorn:

The 361 is not a starto saw. The 441 is, and that makes modding it more difficult, and the results less than appealing compared to the previous versions of Stihl saws (like modding the 361).

As for anti-vibe, the 361 is superior in that regard. I ran 6 tanks of gas through mine yesterday with a 25 inch bar felling and bucking up a 38 inch DBH box elder maple. My hands were fine after 6 hours of solid cutting. I was testing the vibe yesterday pressing my thumb on the top of the unsprung motor top while it was reved wide open and the dampening effects of the springs is amazing. With the 460, my hands were buzzed out and tingly after running only two tanks of gas. Granted, two tanks of gas in the 460 did 30% more cutting in the same time, but I could not run it for long periods of time.
I have researched on here the modding of the 441 and there are/were some that really like the saw. I am aware that it might be somewhat heavy for the power produced, but that is not what has traditionaly wrecked my working attitude, its the vibration. I have and can, cut with and carry a 660 for all daylight hours and then some, physically, but the vibration just kills my hands and is fairly debilitating after several continious days/weeks of such work.

A 441 has already been placed on order and the saw builder is going to see what majic he can perform. I assume in stock form it would be a lackluster program, as I simply am not interested in non-modded saws.......to me they are not practical from a economical standpoint.....amount of wood cut/time.

But in all honestly a properly modded 361 makes me wondering why anyone would want a 440, 441 or 460, and I like saws, LOL. It will be interesting to see if any really or measurable perfomance------workwise, can be gained from the 441 over the 361.....they both have AV and the 361 is lighter to boot.

Since you have a 460 and can compare the benefits of its power as to the 361. What is your opinion, of the overall speed or wood cutting ability versus the fact that at the end of the day you will spend at least twice the amount of time filling it up with gas. Most occasional users would not even bother with "worrying" about this little time consuming tidbit, but with the 361 versus the 660/460 it may be 1-2 seconds slower in typical 24" and less cutting, but you save on the many minutes it takes to walk around the timber tracking down you fuel jug and refueling, LOL, and to me that is a really good thing.

I have stated it before, in stock trim the 361 could cut and top 15 oak trees for every 4-6 that the 660 would. In my opinion, at the end of the day, I'm going to cut more wood with the 361 than the 660....... when it comes to working I am not the type that looks forward to refueling as a breaktime, to listen to the birds, LOL.

What is your opinion of my last paragraph? Do you think the 361 for being a much lighter and vibration free and fuel effecient saw could keep up with larger saws in the 24" and less (25" bar) after a complete day?

I wonder this, LOL.

We will see.

Sam

I believe WT ridded himsekf of the 460, because of the vibes.....

Yah, I no longer have the 460. Or the 440 for that matter, for completely different reasons. The 460 simply had too much vibration. I also had a good return policy on it; no questions asked. So after a lot of tests with it, I returned it. I posted some threads here on its ability to drop large diameter tree... "test" stumps. And bucking logs. Bucking was not as bad, as you can rest the saw on the log and let up on your grip. But felling and running the saw in deep wood, it is really gonna shake you up. After 2 quick tanks of gas, my hands were tingling. After a few hours, I was really tired and my arms were sore. I did not have the stamina with that saw that I do with the 361.

Now, for results? Yah, the 460 does not get very good gas milage. Its a thirsty machine. The 361 and the 441 both get better milage. The 361 will not cut with a 460 though; the 460 just rips through wood like nobody's biz. It will cut face and back cuts in a jiffy, and rip through bucking cuts fast. Maybe 30-40% faster than a 361. It has 50% more power at the bar. It also has a better feel to it from feedback in gripping the saw. The 290 is similar in that respect; more precise cutting is possible at the expense of added vibration.

I could stihl get the 460 to bog down though, and there is added effort to manage the added weight of the saw (fatigue from controling 2 more pounds of saw) factored on top of the added vibration, as well as controlling the added torque effects and issues like bigger kick-back. With that saw you can make bigger mistakes in a hurry, like cutting through your hingewood, or making Dutchman cuts. Overall though, for short cutting times, the 460 is better and faster. You can run a bigger bar, and in larger diameter tree situations, it is the better saw. But overall I would rather wait in the cut for 40% longer and be able to better control the saw, while not having nearly as bad of side effects after running the saw for long periods of time. In the end, I can cut more with a 361 and feel a lot better afterward. It may take longer cutting-wsie, but 80% of the time is getting to and from the woods, and sharpening the saw, and looking for the gas tank (as you say; bird watching), and setting up a tree for felling, banging on wedges, etc. I do not see gas-filling time as being an issue; you will cut more wood faster with the 460 to compensate for bird watching. Once on the ground, I switch to a smaller saw for limbing. Usually the 210 or 025. More buzzing vibes there too, but far lighter and less fatigue using them than the 361 even.

I looked a long time at the 441 as a larger saw option. Until recently I was looking for a larger saw for the larger trees we have to cut here. But the 441 is too close in size to the 361, and it has the starto system, and it does not run well at altitude. It also has a wider metal spring rocking horse body to it. It is smooth... so in that regard it is probably a great saw to cut with. The Dolmar 7900 was probably my best choice for a larger smooth running saw in the next size up class of saw. However, my pending 'divorce' is ending that search, along with my career here as a woodsman. I think that the 361 is a great all-around saw, and I will be keeping mine regardless of where I go or what I wind up doing next.

Last edited:
Yah, and w/o the cheap flimsy plastic mismatched handle

i agree about the 361 handle. its unjustified in a $600 saw. if the saw had another .5 HP it would start to impress me.

infact i got a new 60cc saw for $200 that just might give it a beatdown!

:popcorn:

Latest posts

Back