What model falling saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cottonwood1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Was wondering what model of saw you pro fallers are using this year? How many seasons do you get out of them? Thanks

A lot of guys seem to use saws in the 70 cc range of pro modles. It also depends on the job. If you never drop trees over 20 in a 50 cc - 60 cc will handle almost anything. I have a Stihl 029 that has droped tons of oak and hickory over the past 15 years. I have only came across a few trees I would not tackle with it. Then again I would not touch those trees with any saw. Just out of my comfort zone.

Pretty much stihl around here, husky doesn't have the dealer range. 441-661 with the 362 is the most common I have seen.

Stihl : ported 460's most raved PNW
2nd place tie 440\660

Husky : ported 372's most raved PNW
2nd place tie 390\395

PNW,British Columbia

390/660 by a long shot.

Hard to believe a 395 is even used at all never mind as popular as the 390.
The 390 retired the 394 and 395 for the Husqvarna lovers that like a bigger saw. They been dust collectors years.

I mainly use a 62cc Oleo Mac 962. For the wood I cut it is usually enough. I have up to 100cc if the need arises but in recent years I have gotten so much wood from tree companies that I hardly do a lot of felling anymore.

My 661 works perfectly for me. But it's not just the saw, bars and chains play a big role to. I run full skip chisel on both of my saws. The first thing I do to a new chain is file the takers down 3 to 5 swipes.

Back