What Model Homelite is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawnami

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is in an upcomming auction. Is just listed as a larger Homelite saw. Don't have a clue if it runs or not. What might it be worth either way?

Looks like a homelite C-9 85 cc. I have one but couldn't tell you what it's worth,(given to me). Hope this helps.

not to be a smart alec but...

You may want to take a couple more pictures. Like one from the left side and one from the right side (showing the side with the recoil start and the side opposite of it). I don't have any idea where the 'vin' code stamp is but I would look for the roman numerals,:yoyo:

To be very honest it is impossible to specify a model based on that 1 pic. It is very easy to mix an match parts on the C series and XP series saws. The way to tell lies deeper in the orientation of cylinder and even that is not definate. It really does not matter as to the specific model as all the possible models have about the same value.

Bill

It has enough parts in the matching orange and green color scheme that I'd be pretty sure it is a C-9 or C-91. If it runs I'd give $50 for it, if not, or if it's siezed up $10. They're a big saw but fairly common. And if the guts turn out not to be from a C-91, but from a smaller displacment saw those are worth quite a bit less.

donnyman said:
Thats a c9.

Scott and Donny.

Well I must disagree. As I posted last night colors and general appearances are misleading on the Homelites. If you take a look at the pics yes it has a green air box cover but it is not a C9/91. The C9/91 was slanted in the front and had no fins along the edges. Now take a look at the muffler. There are 3 mounts. The C9 had 2. As I believe I said earlier it is easy to interchange parts and confuse the whole process. Obviously if you can pull the recoill things will clear up some and taking a look at the clutch will also help. I will not put a bunch of money on it but the 3 mount muffler leans toward a XP series saw. Hopefully the poster will get it so we can find out.

Bill

Bill, I'm going to have to agree and disagree on some things...

C91 has the air filter cover like this. It's slanted in the rear and has the fins along the outer edges. The C51, C71, C91, C52 and C72 all have this air filter cover. Then of course the corresponding gear drive models, but I'm still debating on them being different saws.

The C5, C7 and C9 "original 3 C-Series saws" had the flat style.

The muffler "as I see it" is the 2 mount "box style" optional muffler for these saws.

You can also see the "C" on the fuel tank...

Here is the C9...

Here is the C91...

These are two of my own personal saws... Both saws have the otional tin boxed muffler and the C91 has the optional rubber padded handle. The C9 also has the optional conversion gear drive kit. Engines on these two saws are identical. Only air filter cover and rewind assembly's have been changed to signify the different models.

Of course there is always the possibility of it being a thrown together assortment of different saws. That's just the risk you take with some of these old saws and is why it pays to have a lot of info and good pics...

Hope this helps some ;)
Greg

I also thought I would point out that even though my C91 doesn't have one, C91's came with a green colored rewind assembly and of course the green colored bar cover and air filter cover. Also as stated, the C91 had a completely different rewind assembly that used over running bearings to grab and turn the crank. The C9 had regular "old fashioned" starter dogs and a starter cup that was bolted to the crank.

The C9 came with green colored air filter cover and rewind assembly ONLY. The bar covers were red on those saws.

Carburetors, should be HL141A on C9 and HL141B on C91. However I have seen 141B's on every C-Series saw that there was or rather among all of the one's that I have seen, have had the 141B's. Then of course the carbs are joined to the saws with an elbow looking piece that is held down on top of the pyramidal reed assembly by two bolts...

I would say that you have a C91, just from the picture you have shown...

Bill, as far as air filter covers goes... You may be thinking of the optional air filter cover for the original C-Series saws, which kinda looked like the flat style with vanes cut out around it "didn't have the sloped rear like the newer C-Series saws". This was used in areas where the saws were constantly being used in snow drift cituations to keep the inlet at the back of the cover from getting stopped up with snow... Well just a thought...

Hope this helps some more in the quest for answers...
Greg

Ok here are some better photos. That is because I am the owner now. They couldn't get starting bid on it.

It doesn't run and it may turn out to be a parts saw. The piston looks pretty scored so I doubt that the compression is good enough to get it started. Also the mounting boss for the handle at the bottom and closest to the recoil starter is cracked.

OK, here is what I see...

It has the C91 green rewind "over running bearing" setup...
It has the newer C-Series air shroud "for the over running bearing setup"...
It has the C91 idle screw "also another diff, but forgot about"...
It has "C" on the fuel tank...
It has the wider decaling for the newer C-Series badges (C91, etc...)
It has the C91 air filter cover...
It has the C-Series "two bolt" muffler and muffler mount...
It has the higher center pointed "T-P" looking breather in center of fuel cap found on newer C-Series saws...
It has the higher sitting lip on the fuel tank "where fuel cap screws down into", found on newer C-Series saws...
It has the "green grip" handle grip found on C9's and C91's...
It has the reddish-pink coloring "on bottom of crank case" found on C91's...
It has the C-Series cylinder bolting pattern...

Some obvious wrongs or differences...

It has the C9, C7, C71 and others bar cover "C72 used a darker red"...
Flywheel air-shroud has an extra mounting hole on the rear near handle...
There apears to be some sort of wire soldered or retained by one of the flywheel air-shroud bolts???
Rear cylinder-air shroud is missing - apears a retaining bolt has been brocken off just beside handle...

I'm sure if I looked long enough I could notice some other things, but these are just the one's that jumped out at me... There is still always the possibility of it having C91 exterior shelling with something different inside, but I would say just from the shelling, you have a C91...

I have some C91 pics of a nearly new saw, but I can't get them to transfer from "WORD", where I jumbled them together, to my pictures, so I can post them...

Hope this helps some...
Greg

GPH85 said:
I have some C91 pics of a nearly new saw, but I can't get them to transfer from "WORD", where I jumbled them together, to my pictures, so I can post them...

Hope this helps some...
Greg
Just post the word file--you can post .doc files here.

GPH85 said:
OK, here is what I see...

It has the C91 green rewind "over running bearing" setup...
It has the newer C-Series air shroud "for the over running bearing setup"...
It has the C91 idle screw "also another diff, but forgot about"...
It has "C" on the fuel tank...
It has the wider decaling for the newer C-Series badges (C91, etc...)
It has the C91 air filter cover...
It has the C-Series "two bolt" muffler and muffler mount...
It has the higher center pointed "T-P" looking breather in center of fuel cap found on newer C-Series saws...
It has the higher sitting lip on the fuel tank "where fuel cap screws down into", found on newer C-Series saws...
It has the "green grip" handle grip found on C9's and C91's...
It has the reddish-pink coloring "on bottom of crank case" found on C91's...
It has the C-Series cylinder bolting pattern...

Some obvious wrongs or differences...

It has the C9, C7, C71 and others bar cover "C72 used a darker red"...
Flywheel air-shroud has an extra mounting hole on the rear near handle...
There apears to be some sort of wire soldered or retained by one of the flywheel air-shroud bolts???
Rear cylinder-air shroud is missing - apears a retaining bolt has been brocken off just beside handle...

I'm sure if I looked long enough I could notice some other things, but these are just the one's that jumped out at me... There is still always the possibility of it having C91 exterior shelling with something different inside, but I would say just from the shelling, you have a C91...

Hope this helps some...
Greg

Greg,

That is a lot to see from the original picture. I guess I am blind as the pic I was looking at did not show that detail. I will try to attach the orginal pic that was posted.

Bill

Bill G said:
Greg,

That is a lot to see from the original picture. I guess I am blind as the pic I was looking at did not show that detail. I will try to attach the orginal pic that was posted.

Bill

I posted 4 images with better detail on my post just previous to this one. I agree, GPH85"s detailed reply would have been mighty amazing to get from my first image posted.:hmm3grin2orange:

It has 135 lbs of compression so I may not write if off as a parts saw yet.

Thanks for the replys!

That's really not all that bad... My C91 has 140lbs compression "I haven't personally checked it, but that's what it was advertised to have when I bought it" and my C9 "in it's old setup" had 145lbs compression "I'll have to check them both to see what they are now"...

These older saws can have fairly bad scored up pistons and it not really effect performance that much...

I would be weary to the shape the saw is in though. From the last 4 pics you posted, that saw has been used really heavily and abused a lot. I noticed a lot of parts are either wore out or cracked, almost as if it's been nearly crushed and had other parts to reassemble to get it back in it's present configuration...

If you do decide to part it out, would you be willing to sale off some parts?
Thanks,
Greg

Spacemule... OK, I'm going to need to know how to do that step by step if possible. I would like to post them, but even that info, I still have no idea as to how. I'm computer illiterate and need all the help I can get :D

Thanks,
Greg

Back