What one wood do you have more than any other in next years wood pile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingsley

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My next years wood pile is complete. I was just wondering what ONE wood you have in your wood pile more than any other? Let's just keep it simple and not get into break downs or percentages. What ONE wood do you have more than any other?

I have Red Elm more than any other. Burns great and comes home with no bark.

Marty

Hard Maple, but I need more wood for next year still. Probably going to cut some Tamarack and a few huge Quaking Aspen because they are mature and will die soon, and they are easy to get.

Black locust, but this is an odd year in that I cut a bunch down from around a pond for a co-worker. Next year it will probably be back to white oak although I do have a good line on a boat load of hedge.

i gotta lot of maple for this winter

im going for strictly white and red oak this cutting season. I hear alot of jibber jabber on how goood that wood is, so guess I'll find out

Last edited:
I think I have just as much or more locust (black and honey) than all my other wood combined. But it's close. Oak is a close second with hard maple, hedge, and ash rounding out the lower end with <4 cords of each of those.

You all suck.

I have >15 cords of 5-year old white pine logs in the yard, plus another several cords at another site, and I'm getting 8-1/2 acres logged and the tops cut into firewood, which are.....white f'in pine. At least this year I get to burn some hardwood, but it's still mixed with pine. I won't be able to burn 100% hardwood until about 2014, when it'll be mostly ash and cherry.

At least I can burn it in my OWB. If I had a woodstove it would already have been torched in a giant burn pile and the offsite stuff would be left there to rot.

I have been real fortunate over the years and almost always had red oak, some white oak and hickory.

This year I am switching over to almost all black walnut. A buddies brother just logged many truckloads of walnut and wil be cutting up the tops. I have to drive further than normal on this, 6 miles.:hmm3grin2orange:

Back