What one wood do you have more than any other in next years wood pile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
right now sadly, #1 is basswood. Injured my back last febuary, finally started cutting next years wood last weekend

but i think i might set aside the red oak i was planning on burning this year and let it season till next year, i cut it in august of last year, tried a couple pieces this year and its not burning up to the standards of what i hear everyone talking it up to be.

Red maple-White Ash-red oak-beech-yellow birch-white birch.
More red maple than the others, but evenly split among the others.
It's just how the cookie crumbled on my current wood-lot.
There's a nice bit of hard maple out there, but I try my best to leave it standing. It's getting rare to find it in mid-NH.

I hear ya.

2011 will be the year of red oak. Invited to clean up stems ans tops, to the tune of 6 cords. I defer to my few customers who will take most of what's gonna be ready for 2011.

2011 will likeley be a burn combo of birch,maple, oak, &c

Western big leaf maple, I think it is not quite like hard maple. Once seasoned it makes great fires. The other stuff is a mix of fruit woods and Douglas fir. Next year will be the first year I will have a full years time of seasoning. I can not wait. :biggrinbounce2:

This year, elm. Next year, elm. The year after that, elm. The year after that, more elm. But, I've just started cutting for the year after that, and I'm really hoping for oak!

Red Oak. I have some that has been in the woodshed for 3 years but keeps getting buried by Elm. Everything I cut this year will be stacked outside for the sole reason I want to burn the Oak to get it out of the shed.

This year Bur Oak is the dominate wood, with some ash, mulberry, hedge, hackberry, red elm, and a little honeylocust. Next year will be mostly ash with some hickory, red elm, and cherry.

I know the feeling of stuff in the woodshed getting buried by elm. Dead elm usually goes straight there for me. The others sit outside to dry for at least a year.

I need to get started on 2012 season. It should be a bunch of bur oak as my neighbor has offered me the dead ones in his timber. I can't sell any of it but there is enough wood there to keep me in heat for a long time.

Don

For next year, there seems to be more hickory on the ground, when it's usually red oak. Of course, if we have a long winter, next winter's wood will become this winter's wood. :hmm3grin2orange:

Back