What`s your crystal ball about chainsaw future?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4pwr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Will EPA ruin chainsaws? Or will the industry respond with better saws? What`s down the road? Can saws get lighter and still have durability. Will lubricants continue improving? Will everything improve from sparkplugs to chain,etc? Or will new rules put the skids on chainsaws? It seems the outboard boys managed to adapt and are making engines better than ever.What about saws? Are you not worried because you figure you can get around possible EPA rules by modifying the saws. It seems you guys are pretty good at that. What areas do you think need improving in saws? You guys are pretty much up on this,I`d like to know what your crystal ball tells you.

Right now there is a real nice selection of chain saws available (Dolmar, Stihl, Husqvarna, etc). The Power, durability, comfort, & price is as good or better than ever.

I know the manufactures are investing a lot of time & money into chainsaw engine technology for the future.

Steve

Hydrogen turbine engines, weighing a pound, turning out 90 thousand Rpm's, with bar width (kerf) measured in the thousandths, chains that never break, with diamond impregnated teeth, that never need sharpening.

I'd expect performance to remain about the same and price to climb as the EPA tightens its grasp. Of course its possible technology will outpace the EPA's onslaught and we'll see increasing performance. Either way, we'll probably see some small, expensive 4-strokes before very long:cry:

Fuel injection doesn't have to be prohibitively expensive. They already have fuel injection on $400 r/c airplane motors.

If the EPA continues to tighten emissions laws I think we will see technology advances focused on meeting that requirement. The result could mean minimal increases in HP and continued small increases in weight as new models are introduced to replace non-compliant ones. New saw engines will be more efficient. However, new technology will be focused on improving fuel consumption and emissions. I'd consider the 575XP to be an example of this.
I think we will slowly see newer more advanced materials introduced into saw construction in an attempt to reverse the weight trend. The extent will be somewhat limited by the markets ability to tolerate cost increases. I don't think we will see fuel injection any time soon. Not that they can't do it, but the cost trade on that one would be too unfavorable.

They are using it on outboards, but there they already have a pretty much full sized 12 volt battery and alternator. Weight will be more of a handicap on a saw. Eric, do you remember any of the details?

Automotive emission controls began in 1968. Since then automotive engine efficiency has more than doubled while weight was reduced. They last about twice as long too.The cleanest (and fastest) cars' exhaust is cleaner than ambient air during a smog alert. How can that be bad?
I don't think you need to see EPA regulation as the end the chainsaw any more than it was the end of fast cars.
Petroleum will continue to have more calories per pound than any other fuel source and reciprocating engines will still be the most efficient way to use it.

Often in error...never in doubt
Happy new year

Cars are better TODAY because of the EPA and safety regulations, but what about the quality, speed, style, and longevity of cars from 1973-1983?

Like with the automobile, it might take a a decade for chainsaw engine technology to catch up to the regulations. I suspect chainsaws will be better 20 years from now because tougher regulations will drive technology improvement.

Chainsaw Master said:
Hydrogen turbine engines, weighing a pound, turning out 90 thousand Rpm's, with bar width (kerf) measured in the thousandths, chains that never break, with diamond impregnated teeth, that never need sharpening.

Im getting a hard on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The outboard manufactures have started to go almost completely 4 stroke due to government mandates. I can see this happening in the chainsaw industry as well. (that will be a sad day) Emissions regulations will, I'm guessing, prevail! Thats OK there are still enough of us to keep the 2 strokers alive. Besides I've always exercised a little non-conformity!

toolfreak said:
The outboard manufactures have started to go almost completely 4 stroke due to government mandates. I can see this happening in the chainsaw industry as well.

I've always exercised a little non-conformity!

If (when?) this happens who wants to be the first to mod one of the new emmisions compliant 4 strokers into a 2 cycle! :D

:blob2:

KarlP said:
Cars are better TODAY because of the EPA and safety regulations, but what about the quality, speed, style, and longevity of cars from 1973-1983?

Like with the automobile, it might take a a decade for chainsaw engine technology to catch up to the regulations. I suspect chainsaws will be better 20 years from now because tougher regulations will drive technology improvement.

that's interesting because Detroit stopped building cars in 1971.

Styling? Really?

Fred

I would like a little John Force in my saw I could settle for skywalker.

Fred

Latest posts

Back