What saw for this job?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello all, there is a job I am looking at on a Charlie Brown's restaurant land, its a 5 foot diameter, 16-18' tall trunk of solid hard wood, not sure what kind of tree it used to be. Its in a tiny enclosed area, with a small opening that it could be falled, if it were thinner. I imagine that the last guy to do this tree decided it was a hell of a lot more work to remove the trunk, and gave a cheaper price for leaving it like that.

Here's what I was thinking. Pick up either a 660 or 880, and rip cut it vertically down from top to bottom, maybe into quarters or eightths(sp?). Then I was going to fall each piece in the opening. Thinner pieces might be more manageable in this way.

If I try to slice it up into 1 foot sections instead, starting at the top, I still can't manhandle 5' diameter chunks like that. Not with my experience anyway.

One question is, what saw could rip this size easily enough? I know my 460 can't. I don't mind paying for a larger saw as long as I can cover it with this job. I was thinking $2K for the job down to ground level.

Thanks for any help!

Dean

Last edited:
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At 2k you don't afford the cost of equipment at all!!!! I know, because I have seen it, not done ith though, that you're 460 will do it. Just have to be paitent. If you were to run a 32" and rip it from both sides then cut halves or even quarters to you're drop zone. Sounds like a real PITA to me anyway you go!
Hope someone else comes up with something better, but at that price I say use what you have as efectivly as you can.
Andy

2K can get me an 880 and several chains. I think that's all I would need. I know that my 460 is not up to it, at least not in any reasonable amount of time. The restaurant owner doesn't want me crapping around out there for an entire week.

Does 2K seem to low?

DeanBrown3D said:
2K can get me an 880 and several chains. I think that's all I would need. I know that my 460 is not up to it, at least not in any reasonable amount of time. The restaurant owner doesn't want me crapping around out there for an entire week.

Does 2K seem to low?

I agree that the 460 is not the tool for the job. 660 would be a minimum. Regardless, unless your sole goal is to make enough money to buy a new saw, what's the point of taking this job? It seems like a PITA from how you described it.

I have a hard time envisioning the job being worth $2000.00, but what do I know.

I do not cut trees for a living, so there may be a reason why this would not work. What about a crane? You could precut it most of the way through, then have the crane show up and start to lift and you could finish the cut. The crane could set the log on your trailer and after a little clean up you are done at the restaurant. Only problem is what to do with the truck on your trailer. In my area I can hire a crane for 160.00 an hour with I think a 1.5hr min.

Good luck

Jim

TopJimmy said:
I do not cut trees for a living, so there may be a reason why this would not work. What about a crane? You could precut it most of the way through, then have the crane show up and start to lift and you could finish the cut. The crane could set the log on your trailer and after a little clean up you are done at the restaurant. Only problem is what to do with the truck on your trailer. In my area I can hire a crane for 160.00 an hour with I think a 1.5hr min.

Good luck

Jim
There you go Dean, choke it a few feet from the top, walk a saw around the butt and have the crane put it on a trailer or truck. Use wedges, you could do it with a 24" bar by cutting windows in the stump, easier with a longer bar, 460 can do it.

computeruser said:
I agree that the 460 is not the tool for the job. 660 would be a minimum. Regardless, unless your sole goal is to make enough money to buy a new saw, what's the point of taking this job? It seems like a PITA from how you described it.

I have a hard time envisioning the job being worth $2000.00, but what do I know.

That was kinda my point!!!!! He priced just to pay for the equipment and nothing else.
Good call on the crane Jimmy:cheers:
Andy

BWacker, indeed, that is what I am concerned about. Maybe its clear inside, maybe not, the price has to accommodate that. Last time I did that I hit a verical bar (fence post?) in the middle of the tree, no way could I cut it up. I'm thinking that at least by ripping vertically I have a chance of missing something like that or moving over if I do.

Personally, my thoughts on it are to make as few, and as quick of cuts as possible. The crane idea is the most practical in my opinion. Beyond that, I'd climb it and block it down.

You mention that you can't handle 1' blocks. Here's my take on that-you're going to be up a spar with a big friggin saw, and a decent sized bar. The blocks are going to be the least of your concerns. Get the saw in, use wedges and work your way around the tree with a 32" bar. If it's properly wedged, you should be able to complete the cut, pull the saw, start the next cut just enough for it to hold the saw and get it out of your hands, and then slide the block off. You mention experience in getting the blocks off. I'd think it's more like good old fashioned muscle, and it won't take Hercules to slide those blocks enough to get them to fall. You don't have to pick them up, or even slide them all the way, just enough to get them to tip and fall. I'm hoping you'll have someone on the ground to manage the blocks and keep it from rolling or whatever, and to toss your wedges back up to you.

Now, this is just what I have in my mind from what you're mentioning. I could be completely off base with this, but with no pics, this is just my opinion. Are you over concrete, landscaping anything like that that would preclude blocking down heavy pieces?

fishhunt,

I'm still concerned about the crap that might be inside the trunk, even if I do get a crane (which I didn't consider until now).

Around the tree is a sidewalk around 5 feet away, then a main road. Other side is the restaurant (maybe 10 feet). Also a shop 10 feet away. Its tight, once side is open but onto grass if I remember right.

One minor point is that I want the wood in 22" lengths for my splitter! I don't like 12" firewood!

-D

Crane it out, worry about the chains when you hit something, then go around or above, (maybe explain this to the owner and get them to cover 'breakage'?) if its nice wood consider what an 18ft+/- clear grain board brings esp oak or other hard wood, could be a very nice bonus imho. Shouldn't be more than a couple of hours max but am only guessing since there isn't a pic (hint hint).

:cheers:

Serge

If the crane method isn't feasible, just block it down in sizes you can push off. Then use your saw or wedge/sledge to section the rounds to manageable size. Wouldn't need to invest in a bigger saw using that method. Yeah, you might wind up with short firewood but you aren't talking about 20 cord of it.

Harry K

I think it may be possible with a 460 running a 32" bar and chisel chain, but what do I know? I'm just a collector of old muscle saws.

a crane would be a MASSIVE help to get the tree out safely and quckly. then just cut it up and load onto trailer or into truck.

I don't drop trees for a living.I went to help a friend of mine who is a pro and we had a similar situation. He used his 110' crane and pulled a 6'X40' Oak up,in 10-15' long pieces.It was so fast.If it were me,I would go with the crane and use your 460,chains are a lot cheaper than a new saw.I can't imagine ripping down that tree on scaffolding,or a bucket truck.
If you decide to cut it into short rounds and shove them off,and it is tight below,maby put up barriers like plywood w/2x4 frame against the buildings.Heck,I don't know. Good luck.

TopJimmy said:
In my area I can hire a crane for 160.00 an hour with I think a 1.5hr min.

Around here a cranes start at $1000 just to show up and a couple hundred bucks an hour after that. But it all depends on how big a crane you need.

IF the center of that thing isn't rotted out you could be looking at pretty good money for the boards.

Personally, I would never spend 2k on tools and equipment to do one 2k job. Maybe if I had a bunch of work lined up after that first one and knew I could make a return on my investment.

What happens if the whole thing goes awry? Heavy equipment, a big saw, heavy sections of hardwood, busy roads, adjacent buildings. Sounds like a situation that would make me a little nervous.

Dean, definitely need pictures. Can you drop it across the sidewalk and into the road (if blocked right and enough room you can drop it into the road without touching pavement.) Otherwise I'd chunk it down, but 22" chunks that big are hard for a newbie. Crane is the best option if you can afford it-have as much cutting done as possible before the crane even shows up. And since the tree is next to a "shop", I can almost gaurantee there is crap in it-bring extra chains.

retoocs555 said:
Around here a cranes start at $1000 just to show up and a couple hundred bucks an hour after that. But it all depends on how big a crane you need.

I've priced relatively small cranes (weight wise) around the country, and that's pretty much what I've found. Always a minimum, like a half day or often a full day.

Back