What saw is the best? Husky, Stihl, McCulloch, Homelite, Echo, Pioneer, Dolmar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What saw maker is the best

• Stihl

Votes: 176 36.7%
  • Husky

Votes: 192 40.1%
  • McCulloch

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • Homelite

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Echo

Votes: 32 6.7%
  • Pioneer

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Dolmar

Votes: 41 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 14 2.9%

• Total voters
First post on the forum which I have observed from the safety of my lounge for several weeks.

I started cutting firewood with friends more than 10 years ago now mainly due to the static nature of our work. We watch automatic palletising machines so don't actually do much of a psychical nature, so firewood is our fitness and also a release of pent up energy.

Having said that we started cutting firewood with husky's. We ran with these for several years then bought some second hand stihl 044s. These proved to be easier to start more robust and certainly easier to get parts for. We are now at the stage that we have 1 old 044, 1 new ms440,3 ms660 and 1 ms880, these saws are great to use. My main problem with my husky was getting the bar pinched in a log (several times) and getting it out I usually managed to disconnect the throttle. Never had that issue with a stihl (crosses fingers).

I can't wait to get a modded saw from what I have read online about the gains its a MUST. Now I'm going to wait until stihl gets its business in order and puts the 661 on the market. I have a friend in North Carolina who will buy 1 on my behalf when they finally get distributed and then post/courier to a saw builder to get modded.

Regards to all Chris

Well, I liked the Husky stratos until I saw the Dolmar 6100. However, my favourite saw is a crappy Stihl 029 with a 390 jug running a 20" NK Husky bar (9 pin) - it's light and fast.

Now I'm thinking that a Dolmar 6100 (with a few mods) running a 20" Husky NK bar with a 9 pin would be a great saw. So, I'm kinda of a Husky, Stihl, Dolmar fan.

I decided to get a new chainsaw after a 40 year stint with just Walmart stuff. When the idea poped into my head it was 1145 on Saturday. I was 10 Minutes away from the Husky dealer and 15 away from the Stihl shop. So I restarted with Orange. I voted for Jonsereds because of nostalgia. They are a Husky wannabe, but still love the Red and Black.

I grew up with Stihl, love Stihl, and used to run nothing but Stihl. After seeing and modding more and more saws, that's slowly switched to mostly Huskies. There's no denying their performance and leading edge technology.

Have used chainsaws on and off but never enough to learn about them or the differences. Time finally came to buy and my research said a coupla three things...consensus seemed to be that Stihl wasn't any longer the dominant technology that once made it the best; seemed a lot more woods porting was being done on Huskies (and a peek at Wicked Work Saws seemed to confirm this); I was more familiar w/ Husky through their last decade of TV advertising as a force in chainsaws, even though I knew of Stihl all my life for other tools; Husky seemed to be winning the cutting competitions, and; therefore the higher price for Stihl didn't seem justified. So 5 reasons = a coupla three, sorta. But if you read it as 6, then I'd add ergonomics.

After running a bunch of different saws I have stuck with Husky, lightweight, fast and feel good in my hands. I believe a Stihl would last longer but we ran the Huskys 2 years non stop with no issues and really never had a major failure. I cannot comment on any of the homeowner saws, just never run them. The worst brand was Homelite 4 saws and not 1 of them was worth a crap other than a XL-12 and I hated running that slow vibrating pig. CJ

i would say i became a husky man when my church camp down by yellowstone was having issues with alot of pine bugs and needed about 4 acres cleared and i went to help and i took my new to me and rebuilt 55 rancher down to do the cutting the only saws still left standing at the end where my old 55 and the stihl pro saws that other members had brought all the craftsman and homelite saws where having issues or just plain kia
i was the only husqvarna man there too out of about 10 saws

I voted Stihl. I have run Husqvarna, Echo, Dolmar, Stihl, Pioneer, McCulloch to name a few and worked on them all as well and what I will say is all of the pro lines have some good saws and some that don't meet my expectations. In this day and age it is getting harder to find a bad saw unless you shop at (Walmart Sears or the like to get a saw), and most people (lets face it) will not ever put their saws to the test. Of everything I work on 90% is related to improper storage and any saw will have diaphragm pumps go bad with ethel fuel in the carb for three years (FACT). So for those of us who really use a saw to its full potential, day in and day out this is a hard choice, it comes down to Stihl and Husqvarna. I own saws from both and, they all have a place and purpose in my stable. As I though over this question I took into account reliability, power, ability to get parts, ergonomics, and how rugged the saw is made. What it really came down to for me, why I have favored my Stihls is because they are a go to saws (start on the second pull every time), I can ride them hard and put them away wet and in the morning I know my saw will not let me down. Just the feel of a Stihl is rugged to me, yes they might not be the most technically advanced or the fastest, Husqvarna has them there but when the s--t hits the fan they just work. A stihl is like an old 3500 4x4 Chevy truck with a 454, and a Husqvarna is like a Toyota tundra with all the features, it is faster it is lighter it has leather but can I put over a ton of wood in the back, pull a trailer with three more on it going up a hill in the mud day in a out a not break something? I think not. Now not to say I don't like my Husqvarnas, I like anyone else want to have speed and comfort when I am playing, and a Husky will walk all over a Stihl in the cut, I have been impressed by many of their models they are a fine saw but my heart will always scream LONG LIVE STIHL POWER!!!!

Husqvarna aint no toyota more like a ferrari

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Im sure stihl is s great saw but my 346 and 390 give me no reason to want to lug one of those heavy boxy dinosaurs around

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

This is a no brainer for me. Husqvarna. First anti-vibe is the best overall. Second balance is great on XP saws. Third power/ cutting speed is unrivaled. Fourth more professional models than most company's even sell altogether. Fifth always new leap taking design's. Sixth cheaper than Stihl's. Seventh reliability. Eighth sexy looking saws. Ninth respond better to mods. Tenth Pops used them and I still use the same ones 30 years later.

I decided to get a new chainsaw after a 40 stint with just Walmart stuff. When the idea poped into my head it was 1145 on Saturday. I was 10 Minutes away from the Husky dealer and 15 away from the Stihl shop. So I restarted with Orange. I voted for Jonsereds because of nostalgia. They are a Husky wannabe, but still love the Red and Black.

what did you wind up with?

I run nothing but Stihls. Dad and Grandpa run nothing but Stihls. I remember back in 90s helping dad cut wood, us and a few others running Stihls would still be cutting when everyone else had left cause their saws quit or wouldn't start after they got hot. New technology is ok, but why change when your number one world wide.

Latest posts

Back