What saw is the best? Husky, Stihl, McCulloch, Homelite, Echo, Pioneer, Dolmar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What saw maker is the best

• Stihl

Votes: 176 36.7%
  • Husky

Votes: 192 40.1%
  • McCulloch

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • Homelite

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Echo

Votes: 32 6.7%
  • Pioneer

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Dolmar

Votes: 41 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 14 2.9%

• Total voters
Since you'd most likely have to remove the con-rod and flywheel to get it to weigh the same as the 550XP I'm not sure if it would run well after that.

I was thinking some of the squish band and the strato dividers. :laugh:

best saw

I voted Stihl because the have never let me down,whether just cutting firewood when I was young and didn't have but one saw or was on a job. I seem to be leaning along the husky lines more and more. As
stated by several of you, husky just seems to be working harder . They have developed new innovative products and if the dealer service in this area keeps improving stihl had better buckle the old chinstrap. I find a 346 ,368,372 in my hands more and more lately. they make me :hmm3grin2orange:

It's interesting what a couple of years can do. 2-3 years ago, this forum was all about Stihl saws.

Don't throw Stihl under the bus just yet. The 441C-M is right on track, and of they incorporate that tech into the 660 replacement that will make one strong saw. The new Husqvarnas have impressive tech, but it will take months in the hands of pros before the reliability is proven. All of this together shows that now is a great time for saw nuts like us!

Not that my vote counts I went with the Swedish made saw Have had good luck w/Jonsered/Husky. When I bought my first new saw it would run circles around my brothers eqivelent Sthil. and was 50 to 75 $cheaper. We would run the same chain that he had sharpened. But every brand has some stand out saws. My saw self is a rainbow of colors.:msp_biggrin:

Don't throw Stihl under the bus just yet. The 441C-M is right on track, and of they incorporate that tech into the 660 replacement that will make one strong saw. The new Husqvarnas have impressive tech, but it will take months in the hands of pros before the reliability is proven. All of this together shows that now is a great time for saw nuts like us!

Stihl is just too slow in bringing new models to market. They most always do so after Husky. This leaves the impression that they just copy Husky, whether true or not. Look how long the 461 has been rumored about, yet nothing on the market. The 661s have been out there for several months as well. I appreciate good testing and bringing a solid machine to market, but they're leaving Husky alone at the front of the pack leading in new technology.

Certain Stihl's are great saws, I'd never get rid of any of mine. However, some Husky's are just too fast, snappy throttle, good feel, good looks, just plain fun. That's why I voted orange.

West Coast is done eating dinner and begining to vote...

I voted Stihl for my 200T and the 440/460 Hybrid that Mastermind and Snelling must like too. :)

But, I ran all Husky's for a number of years. Have kept a 372, 288xp, and 394.
THE REASON I first went Husqvarna: My father came back from Vietnam/Korea minus his right leg. He was bummed and figured that he could go dirt-biking as a form of excercise & fun. Well - in those days the Husky dirt bikes had the shifter on the left side. This meant he could upshift, etc with his good foot - use his wood leg for the rear brake pedal.
He sent me my first saw in 1999 (372xp) so I could start my business. My (then) boss ran all 044, etc.

-that is mt long story... sorry :)

I still can't get over buying Stihl parts$$$. My Husqvarnas always seem to be lighter faster and easier to work on. I Stihl like Stihl but not as good Husky...

I am extremely spoiled with Stihl parts availability. My dealer will get me almost anything I want in one business day. I order all Husky parts online, and it usually takes a week or longer to get them.

Latest posts

Back