What saw is the best? Husky, Stihl, McCulloch, Homelite, Echo, Pioneer, Dolmar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What saw maker is the best

• Stihl

Votes: 176 36.7%
  • Husky

Votes: 192 40.1%
  • McCulloch

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • Homelite

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Echo

Votes: 32 6.7%
  • Pioneer

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Dolmar

Votes: 41 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 14 2.9%

• Total voters
I voted for stihl. I walked into the dealer yesterday and bought the most dependable saw built today IMHO which is the the 460.

I've gave husky a run and they just did'nt win me over. I've bought 2 new 346's in the last year at different times. The 1st one had the intake boot on the cylinder crooked which was almost off the cilynder on one side and leaking a slight bit of air...good thing I looked the saw over closely after just starting it and not cutting wood with it yet. The 2nd one I ran one time dropping and cutting up three 12-16'' ash trees. After I was finished for the day I was cleaning the saw up to find a carb that had taken in alot of saw dust. I looked at the air filter and seen where the filter material was ripped where it met the plastic. Now I'm not saying that the 346 is not a good saw because it is but when I pay near 500 bucks for what is supposed to be the best 50cc saw on the market It had better not be leaking air or sucking saw dust in through the intake. To me this is like a home owner paying me for a new roof and calling me the first time it rains and telling me it's leaking...not good bussiness at all IMHO.

I recently bought a new 365XT and it would not idle correctly what so ever, it would load up and die out no matter where the carb was adjusted to. Another member on here said they had the same issue with their new 365 also so I'm sure there is more than just him and I out there that had or has this problem. I did'nt like the orange plastic and paint being three different colors either. Whats so hard with making the color match. Ford, chevy or dodge would'nt have a car or truck sitting on their lot looking like this and expect to sell it. Looks like a quality control issue to me...heck even the new cheap poulans colors match. Besides all of this the saw was a dog. My eight year old son looked at me when I shut it off and said...dad you got ripped off that saw is slow, how much did you pay for it? I laughed and said...well it is supposed to be the best deal out there for a new saw right now.

I also bought a refurbed husky 435. Cheap enough so I thought what the heck (CAD I guess) Now I know this saw was a refurb but would'nt ya think after it went back to the factory they would adjust the carb correctly so it did'nt come back again? Nope not husky, I get the saw and fuel it up to find out I can start it to only watch it fall on its face and die when I try to rev it up because the low screw is set way to lean. Come on man I'm a back yard woodchuck that can adjust a chainsaw carb but the people at Husqvarna can't? Something wrong with that picture if you ask me. The AV on this saw just felt way to soft to me also. Seems like husky would be able to figure out how to match up a clutch for the displacement of a saw also.

Here is a thought for ya...why does'nt Stihl sell any refurbed saws?

Last but not least the 395 I purchased new also. This seems to be a good powerful saw. The only complaint with this saw is the some of the screws like to loosen up on this saw no matter what kind of loctite I use and the orange on the saw does'nt match the greatest. It really is a good saw though for the bigger wood.

No way I could vote for Dolmar, Solo or any other brand because I could'nt even tell where one of these dealers are at around here.

I also know that Stihl has been adding alot of weight to their new saws and I would'nt buy any of them but they are still making the two or three saws that I would buy whick is the 440,460 and 660. These saws have stood the test of time so that is where my money went (again) I will tell ya that when I picked up a 261 at the dealers it about made me puke compared to what the 260 felt like. I hope they have put alot more thought into the 461 and 661 or my new dealer could end up being walmart lol.

Now don't take offense to my post and want to beat me over it...Randy wanted to know why we chose the brand we chose and all I did was exlpain my reasons.

395XPWOODCHUCK

Well you can't argue with someone that's had a bad experience or two with a brand. Maybe your just a Stihl kind of guy, we can't all be perfect.:msp_wink:

With that said I've had issue with every brand out there at some point. Yes saws are simple, but they still have moving parts. The newer carb's all seem to have a pretty high failure rate these days.

395XPWOODCHUCK

When I read your post last night I was wondering if you were going to change your user name back to 460 woodchuck. Got up this morning to see that you have.:laugh:

395XPWOODCHUCK

When I read your post last night I was wondering if you were going to change your user name back to 460 woodchuck. Got up this morning to see that you have.:laugh:

I used to like brunettes then blondes then I married a brunette..;) They are both great saws and I really like my 395 but my heart lies with the 460.

for some reason it quoted you. I know you didnt say that i know how much you hate stihls.

I don't hate Stihls, and I actually like some of them - the MS361 still is among my favourite saws, and I like my FS200 bruchcutter as well, despite a slight vibration issue. :msp_smile:

I used to like brunettes then blondes then I married a brunette..;) They are both great saws and I really like my 395 but my heart lies with the 460.

never dated anything but blondes. It is a requirment. I met my wife in passing in a college campus club 4 years ago. Never ran into her there again. Went to Hooters Restauant several weeks later with 4 friends and my brother. She walks by and grazes me across the chest and says "I know you". Wound up eating there alot the next few weeks always sitting in her section. Got her number and finally got to spend some time with her watching a movie at my house one night with some of my friends. She left my house at 4 in the morning to go home to her parents. I met her little boy at 7am the next morning over breakfast at Cracker Barrel. She moved in that evening. I have raised her little boy as my own since he was 13 monthes old and Kari and I have also been blessed with 2 beautiful little girls. Funny thing about it is, after she moved in, I learned that she was a bottle blonde and actually a brunette. So to keep it blonde I spend $160 every 6 wks at a Salon on her hair. She recently had her hair done darker with blonde highlights which is beautiful. Our son just started Kindergarden this past Friday. What a wonderful life!

Last edited:
Pioneer P series. They were ahead of their time. As far as I know one of the first to do factory boost/finger ports. Great looking design, well built, easy to work on. If they weren't bought out and ended the company, I'm sure they'd be in the top 3 today.

What he said. Simple saws. I can have the carb off a P-40/50/60 series saw in about two minutes. New fuel lines in another three. Dependable and run very very well stock. But, I still have one or more of about every brand on the list except Dolmar. I've got two Stihls and like them fine, but they're not my favorite by a long shot.

What he said. Simple saws. I can have the carb off a P-40/50/60 series saw in about two minutes. New fuel lines in another three. Dependable and run very very well stock. But, I still have one or more of about every brand on the list except Dolmar. I've got two Stihls and like them fine, but they're not my favorite by a long shot.

My favorite brand is the one that starts all the time & doesn't poop out

I like them both but I voted Husky. When I was falling timber I was cutting 35,000-50,000 bf every day and it really helped having a saw that was a pound or two lighter but with the same power like the 372xp bb is to the 046mag. I also like how my hands didn't go numb as fast with the husky. I will say that the Stihl's do feel a bit tougher like they can take a bigger beating and I gave the saws a pretty good beating each day. I own both and like both but for production I would go with the husky.

6 monthes have past since the last post in this thread. We have some new models out now and have had 6 monthes worth of Cad... so do we have any new opinions, votes, etc?

I voted Echo based on the smaller saws. I have no need for the bigger saws but from what I have seen of them I think Husky is ahead of Stihl on innovation. For the smaller saws, that most homeowners would be interested in, I think Echo is ahead and their new saws coming out are very good bang for the buck saws. I just got an CS-500P and the only thing that compares to it is the Husky 550xp. The Husky is probably a better saw but it's also $180 more, with only a 6 month warranty.

My all time favorite is McCulloch. They have pioneered so many "first"in chainsaw history. my 6-10 was wore out when i got it and now its ready to be beat to hell for another 40 years! new saws I am husqvarna all the way. my 435 is under 10 pounds and pulls a 18" bar nicely. I have run 2 gallons through it and the air filter is just starting to show dirt on it! oh and it takes forever to burn 2 gallons with the x-torq! If i had a need for a AT saw i would have one no doubt. husqvarna will soon have a 25cc saw pull a 28" bar sunk in oak like it was a 3120 if they keep up their pace!

Back