What saw parts to have on hand when cutting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I carry most of the stuff already mentioned, but I keep a scrench and a Stihl depth gauge tool wrapped up in a cloth, stuffed into the door pocket of my truck. No matter how many of them I buy, I always seem to forget to put one in my bucket buddy, so now I have them wherever I go.....

@ nomadarcher

you don't need an expensive second saw! A Poulan 40cc saw will be an excelent companion with a sharp chain and well set carb. Don't underestimate these cheapies!

nomad archer I just enjoy reading the posts as I like to tinker and fix stuff. Also new to using a chainsaw was using my gf's fathers ms230 and then the gf and her mom got me a ms290 with a 16in bar. I see your into hunting which is what I live for, bow hunting. I can tell your like me when you get into something you get overly into it. Like have to have this, have to have that. I bet you have a back up bow in your truck ready to go when your string breaks. haha

Anway I was reading your sharpening post and I also bought a HF chainsaw sharpener but when I got my saw he gave me a file. 2-3 strokes on each and I am back in action. Each time I fill up the tank I check the chain and hit it a few times with the file. I think I can get the chain sharper by hand vs the cheapy HF sharpener unless its really bad.

So your an archer, now chainsaw extremest I bet. haha Anyway I had a price point/budget and I was really torn between getting the ms271 vs the ms290. I really like my saw but for small stuff that lil ms230 I started with was nice and light and did most of what i needed. Expect for a few big trees blocking my hunting trails, I cant have that. Which is why I got the new saw, that and I didnt want to borrow theirs any longer. Have a nice weekend guys...

I can't recall ever having a saw break in the field that was repairable in the field. Proper preventative maintenance solves 99% of issues. I honestly see no reason to carry an air filter, fuel filter and spark plug. Nor do I see any reason to carry an E-clip (never lost one), or a sprocket. I don't sharpen in the field either. I carry a few spare sharp chains, a spare bar (to get out my stuck saw), wedges, axe, PPE and a first aid kit. Fuel, scrench and oil for the saw, water and food for me.

Akdoug this list also doubles as a list of things i want to keep on hand so i don't have to run to the dealer every time i need something since it is a 30 to 40 minute round trip.

I can't recall ever having a saw break in the field that was repairable in the field. Proper preventative maintenance solves 99% of issues. I honestly see no reason to carry an air filter, fuel filter and spark plug. Nor do I see any reason to carry an E-clip (never lost one), or a sprocket. I don't sharpen in the field either. I carry a few spare sharp chains, a spare bar (to get out my stuck saw), wedges, axe, PPE and a first aid kit. Fuel, scrench and oil for the saw, water and food for me.
I see it similar! Sounds like burdening oneself with unneeded junk is popular here. First aid kit shouldn't be left out either!

Right with you on that, except for always having Granberg filing guide in my little 12 lb tool bag on walking into the woods. Every other fill-up the cutters get a stroke or two. Helps to slow things down, and let your brain catch up. No axe normally; big local stick works fine.

I have had a fuel filter (PP5020) fall off in the tank; just fished it out, snipped the line a 1/4", and popped the filter in again. I carry one spare chain for when the mounted chain gets rocked or destroyed; hasn't happened yet. Saw mix goes into liter aluminum bottle for backpack stoves and b&c oil is in dish detergent squeeze bottle. Down south here, Gatorade and water.

Bag of wedges are just the ticket for keeping bar from getting stuck. Couple battle dressings and first-aid tape for keeping me stuck together- still unused. Almost forgot- small leatherman tool is right there with the weird carb adjustment tools.

Sometimes cutting hangups with bud, we split up cable winch, chains and tow-straps. Terrain permitting, light wheelbarrow for hauling.

You don't need heavy wire to fish out a fuel filter. Paper clip with a circular hook on the end will do nicely.
A paper clip will do the trick, and I have used one myself, but I'd worry about it falling into the tank. Not that it would be detrimental... just another inconvenience.

I carry 4 saws with me & if they won't work then I figure God's telling me it isn't my day to cut. He hasn't sent me a don't cut message yet. (Stihl 08s with 25" bar, 08s with 17" bar, Husqvarna 338xpt California with 14" bar & a Jonsered CS2139T with a 12" bar.)

I don't carry spare parts. Make sure saws are serviced after day's use. However I do carry:
View attachment 345514
View attachment 345515
(Photos taken before I got the Husqvarna 338xpt & the other 2 Stihls with 17" bars are S10s, basically the same a the 08s's.) The bucket is mainly for use on the tractor.
You are more than prepared by the looks of that set-up. Nice

Akdoug this list also doubles as a list of things i want to keep on hand so i don't have to run to the dealer every time i need something since it is a 30 to 40 minute round trip.
No problem. I get years out of fuel filters, air filters, sprockets and sprockets. I cut about 30 cords a year with two saws.

I take files and a stump vise as it is with several extra chains and a second bar.

I plan to use long needle nose pliers for getting the fuel filter out but that would be a new experience for me so if there is any better tool to accomplish that please let me know.

I run an MS 271 that has a spur drive sprocket. I have no idea if it can be setup to run a rim sprocket with .325 pitch chain but I would be interested if it was something that was possible. I need to look into that further. I'm sure someone on here knows. I definitely need to add an extra flippy cap to the list.
n_a,i like a pair of forceps for fuel filters.not as bulky as needlenose pliers.i have both straight and angled tips.

n_a,i like a pair of forceps for fuel filters.not as bulky as needlenose pliers.i have both straight and angled tips.

I like that I need to add that to the list.

I like having some of this stuff with me especially when I travel 5 hours to my cabin to do some cutting for up there and to have the saw go down over something silly would ruin the weekend.

All things mentioned make sense - my one add is a roll of self adherent compression bandage. No first aid kit covers it but it is perfect for wrapping sprained joints, taping up splints, holding a cut together and snakebites.
Buy mine from a fodder store quite cheaply and use it for whatever. Not having to worry about the glue on self adhesive bandages and being able to add compression makes it the thing I carry even if I don't have any other first aid stuff.
Only used it once chainsawing, but it comes out of the backpack I take mountain biking far too often. The threat of snakebite means it's always in my pack - but even without that it's a cheap, light, simple thing to carry and use if required.
Used miles of it looking after horses as a kid, but Google says there are human specific versions now.

I honestly see no reason to carry an air filter, fuel filter and spark plug. Nor do I see any reason to carry an E-clip (never lost one), or a sprocket.

I have replaced every one of those in the field, along with starter rope, sprocket bearings, chain catchers, flippy caps, . . . I guess it depends on how you use stuff and where you use it.

I work with storm cleanup volunteers, and sometimes have to troubleshoot saws that are not my own, personal saws. Spark plugs get fouled, and are easier to replace than clean in the field. Same thing with bad gas and fuel filters. It can be easier to replace basic, consumable items in the field when testing for basics: air? fuel? spark? And, despite good intentions, things like screnches, bar nuts, and 'e'-clips vanish in the grass.

Sometimes a saw needs to go in for help, but if I can get/keep it running in the field, that is worth a lot. We learned how quickly basic parts disappear from store shelves after a storm, and how long it takes for them to become available, so we started carrying these in our equipment trailer.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back