What Should I Do With This Echo CS-440 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fuzz1500

Recently traded some items to my bro for his nice Echo cs-440 ! I sold my Husky 450 to him last year..and he likes it way better . Ive always loved this saw . It feels so darn good in my hands . Like an old pair of leather gloves :) It is no speed racer.....but is really reliable with good torque...and I personally love the looks of it ! Im gonna hang onto this one . When I trade stuff.....and no money changes hands...its like I have no money into the new item . Which is how I feel about this . So Im willing to listen to anyone who says some mods would be most noticeable on this model . I know for sure that I wanna switch down to a 16 inch b/c to maximize the power . Has anyone Ported and muffler modded these saws . Im half tempted to send this to Randy this winter...and have him work his magic !! What do you guys think . And no........Im not gonna upgrade by trading for a Husky or Stihl :) :)

Don't take this wrong-

porting costs the same regardless of saw. If you like that saw that much, then spend the money and have it ported. The feel of a saw is a very important aspect in determining how satisfied you are going to be with it in the long run. I wouldn't spend the money on that saw, but you seem to really like it...so go for it.

Pull the red plugs off the carb with a drywall screw so you can adjust the carb correctly. The muffler is the internal stinger type. Looking at the exit hole of the muffler, add a hole in the corner under the external baffle and ditch the screen. This vents pressure without loosing the reflection wave. Going further, the 440 has a bolt down cylinder so it could be removed for porting and to set the squish. You could also slip a cs-520 engine into that frame if you can find a good used one.

I have A cs-4400. Pretty close cousins. Great back-up saw. Decent enough until it meets 12"+ hardwoods. I just can't justify porting it. Muff mod did wake it up. Maybe someone else will have some experience with a ported one?

And yeah, I like the feel. But the av is pretty lacking.

Performance is very close to an 024.

I appreciate all the advise ! Its kind of one of those deals where I like the saw alot . Ive not heard of Echo mods on here too much compared to Husky and Stihl . Sometimes its nice to have a variety ......and to make comparisons amongst thr group on my shelf . And I think with the right mods.....the Echo 440 could surprise some people . It acts like it just needs "Woken up"

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to think of mine as the Toyota Camry of chainsaws. Nothing fancy, but reliable as they come. Sure like the the controls and air filter. Makes you wonder wtf was Stihl thinking when they came up with the multifunction choke mechanism?

I like to think of mine as the Toyota Camry of chainsaws. Nothing fancy, but reliable as they come. Sure like the the controls and air filter. Makes you wonder wtf was Stihl thinking when they came up with the multifunction choke mechanism?
this is kinda how mine are. good chains, muffler mods,
and retune will make them work pretty good. it doesnt take a fast saw to ware me out anyways

I think opening that muffler up would satisfy your wants for unleashing some extra power. If it doesn't, you can look into other options later. Where in Ohio are you located?

Pull the red plugs off the carb with a drywall screw so you can adjust the carb correctly. The muffler is the internal stinger type. Looking at the exit hole of the muffler, add a hole in the corner under the external baffle and ditch the screen. This vents pressure without loosing the reflection wave. Going further, the 440 has a bolt down cylinder so it could be removed for porting and to set the squish. You could also slip a cs-520 engine into that frame if you can find a good used one.
I picked up one of these cheaply because I have a 520 and quite like it. I'm going to try a muff mod on the 440 but must be careful not to have the new vent melt any of the bodywork. I hope that the 18" bar won't be too much for it.
I have a 20" on the 520 and it seems OK. Mind you I don't get into anything very big and it probably will be for sale.

Lee

Back