What should I doo for my fruit trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel JD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just want some professional advice on what if anything I should do here in the fall for my fruit trees. I have a plum tree and a loquat. For those who don't know, the loquat blooms in the fall, and I don't want to do anything to make it more susceptible to freeze damage, nor do I want to burn it with the blooms on. So should I fertilize these trees or just leave them be? Alsoi if anyone knows a way to keep the nuisance squirrels and birds away from the fruit in the spring...that info would be much appreciated. I had a tree full of plums and never got to pick the first one last year...all thanks to the squirrels.
Thanks again,
J.D.

Sheshovel said:
Well not a thing.As far as squirrels go all you can do is cover with a bird net and put a squirrel baffel around the trunk of your tree.

squirrels???

my cats believe i have brought them here purely for their enjoyment...

they used to invite them in as playmates, get bored relatively fast, and release them... i have since closed the cat door :)

i have few unwanted creatures here-- moles, voles, squirrels, chipmunks... i recommend cats...

What is a squirrel baffle? Cats....sadly not an option...the dog hastes them and my brother is severely allergic. So you all are saying no fertilizer...leave nature to run it's course? Do I understand correctly? Thank you for your input!
J.D.

You do not want to fertilize now the trees are going into their dormant stage,you would fertilize in spring and during the growing season.You can buy a baffel from Gardens Alive! company.

Sheshovel said:
You do not want to fertilize now the trees are going into their dormant stage, .
You do not want to force top growth now, true, but fall is a good time to correct deficiencies in the soil, especially air and organic matter. Your extension agent can help you get a soil test; job #1 is to find out what's in there.

Many trees put on a flush of feeder roots in the fall, so the timing is right for low-N fert.

Thanks for the responses...the big issue is keeping those daggone squirrels in check...as it is they and not the birds that do most of teh unauthorized harvesting in my neighborhood. I will be looking into Gardens Alive! and one of teh squirrel baffles.
J.D.

Back