What size chain is this??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadatwins

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anyone know what kind and type chain this is. Found this with the 090 G and it fits the sprocket that is on the saw. I thought the saw had a .404 sprocket but this is bigger than that.
Thanks

Probably 1/2" chain. Post a reply with the brand name and any identifying numbers on the chain, you'll probably get a response. I see it's regular chipper chain.

If it was 1/2" chisel, you'd have a dozen emails asking to buy it by now:D

Found a old box with Poulan / Baird P10 - 025R new chain in it that looks the same as the used one in the picture. No bar for this saw. Wonder if I can find a bar for this saw now or am I on a . 404 sprocket hunt like Masterblaster.

!/2"

What he said.Stihl lists both.404,and 1/2",for an 090G.Too bad it isn't chisel.If I am not mistaken,!/2" was standard,and .404,like poor ole MB has,is optional.

Oregon 10 and 10C, Carlton D2S and D3S,Windsor 58D and 63D Sabre 15 and 25 are all 1/2" pitch.

I looked this up at CSCC and found several other 1/2" pitch chains, but most would probably be older and unlikely to be what's on the saw you have.

Is 1/2" chain a good or bad thing:confused: I am not familiar with it at all. Is this something I can get a bar for or am I sitting with a dinosuar?

1/2" chain

Measure 12" of the stuff,if it is 1/2" pitch chain,you will have 12 drive links.If it is .404,you will have almost 15[ 14.85 to be exact]3/8"would be 16.It has been obsolete,for years.Old gear drives used it.It takes some power to run it,but takes a much deeper "bite"than .404,clears the chips better.Saw racers,just love it[I do too].AS far as a bar,I have only seen it ran on either a hard nose bar,or and open roller bar,and am not aware of any sprocket nose bar,although there may be some.It would not be that hard to modify an old bar, of these types from,say an old Mac,or Homie to fit the Stihl.The only driver thickness I have ever seen,is .063,although I think it may have been made in .058.The only problem,I could see,would be lengthenig,or shortening the chain,for lack of the tie strap rivets.These could also be fabricated.This is only an opinion,but if it were my saw,I would leave it as 1/2".Although it is hard to find,it can still be found.I have a 56 drive length loopof 1/2",as well as 20 other new chains,for less than $40.coming soon[ on e-bay, you have to read the fine print]Also it uses a 1/4" file,to sharpen,readily available from McMaster-Carr as well as other suppliers. Good luck Al

Re: 1/2" chain

Originally posted by Al Smith
.The only driver thickness I have ever seen,is .063,although I think it may have been made in .058.

I have a 56 drive length loopof 1/2",as well as 20 other new chains,for less than $40.coming soon[ on e-bay, you have to read the fine print

Al,

Yes it was made in .058. Oregon 9AC was the .058 chipper chain. I have a decent supply for whta reason I do not know.

Also you got a good deal on the 1/2 chain on ebay. I had it on the watch list then forgot about it. $26 plus shipping was a great deal. It was only $1 above his opening bid.

Bill

More 1/2" chain

I am sending a picture of both 1/2" chain,and.404,to show the relative difference in size.

Thanks for the responses. As I understand, I should now look for a bar for this 1/2" chain at .063 gauge. Sounds like that would be easier than changing over to more popular and readily available .404 gauge chain because finding a .404 sprocket for 090g is next to impossible?

.058 1/2" chain

In this ongoing discussion of 1/2"chain,bars etc.,and after Bill g's last post,I came to a reality,of sorts.In the enclosed picture,showing 1 sp-125,with a 48",1 sp-125 with a 36" bar,and 1 2100 s Homelite with a 28" bar,the 48" and the 28" are both .058.All are nos bars,never used before I got them.It would be by opinion,now that probabley the 48"was for a gear drive.In consideration of the style and age,I doubt there were any direct drive saws,of that era that could handle this size bar.With this in mind,it is know my assumtion that the long bar was intended for 1/2" chain.[ but I have been wrong before]I might also note,that all of these bars were modified to fit the saws,granted I have a milling machine,but it could be done with a Dremel tool.I have a McCulloch mount that I normally use on the black 125,but if anyone has 144 new drive lengths of .404 x .058 full chisel,full skip,and a tie strap,and want to part with it,give me a shout. Al

I spied a roll (or what's left of it) over in a friend's garage tonight, I was talking to his dad, it was 1/2 round/chipper chain. He told me I could have it if I could use it, I don't figure my saw would ever pull it, and on top of that, I don't have any links to put it together anyways.

is the 1/2 chipper worth anything? I told him to put it on ebay if he wanted to unload it.

Dadatwins,

As you have probably figured out by now, finding a bar is simple, finding the chain is hard. As for bars I believe I have several 16" that will fit as well as 21", 25", and 30".

Shade,

I am interested in that 1/2 chain even though it is chipper.

Bill

Back