What size log splitter do I really need?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have split 3 cords in a day, I think people over look the fact that unless you have 2 people running a good splitter you can't keep up.

I'll agree with that. 3 people makes splitting pretty damn fast without anyone getting a workout. 1 guy loading. One person stacking, and 1 just runnin the lever. Makes a lot of wood fast.

I like having extra people help me, but it's a luxury I rarely have. So to fix the getting buried problem, I picked up an old hay elevator off craigslist. Swapped out the motor for a chonda and away we go. Now I buck all my wood, then fire up the TW6 and make short work of it.

Attachments

• 20131128_121741.jpg
    20131128_121741.jpg
    771.9 KB · Views: 24
I have a 10 ton 30 year old monkey wards splitter with a 6hp robin. it does just fine for a little one. i like it cause its small and easy to move around. only thing that sux is its low to the ground, so i put milk crates under the wheels. i would rather split alone, that way if i split my hand off its my falt and i don't have to return the favor

As WhiteSpider stated, what tonnage the splitter claims to be & what it really is does not normally match. Example, I have a 4" cylinder with a valve whose pressure release is set for 2,500 psi. This calculates to be 15 tons. This size cylinder is frequently called a 20-22 ton splitter. A 4.5" cylinder bore will give you just under 20 ton & a 5" bore cylinder will provide you 25 tons.
http://www.calculatoredge.com/mech/pushpull hydraulic cylinder.htm

A splitter with a 4" cylinder & sharp narrow 4-way wedge/blade for splitting will split/cut just about anything you need if you take time to learn to read the wood & load into the splitter appropriately. However, if you have a dull/blunt, wide wedge, instead of cutting through the tough knots, you will be trying to tear them apart & will need a higher tonnage splitter.

As I lower the log lift halfway down & fill it up with rounds to split before starting the splitter, having an auto-cycle valve would not be useful to me. (I'm not running around grabbing the rounds to be split, they are waiting with me). If I was incorporating the splitter into a wood processor where I will be cutting a round while the splitter is splitting, then yes an auto-cycle valve would be a great option.

I'll stop before I get too long winded.

Latest posts

Back