What size mini?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDAA

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a tracked mini for my set up. I'm looking at a couple of bobcat mt 52s. It looks like it has a pin height a little less than 6 feet and a lift capacity of 500 lbs. I'm looking for something that can save my back a bit. I own a s-185 bobcat already. I'm just looking for something that is more turf friendly, compact, and lighter weight. Just looking for machine and size opinions thanks!

My SK650 is only slightly more "turf friendly" than a roto tiller. Haven't tried using turf tracs on it yet.
The lift capacity spec is probably only about 1/3 of the weight it can lift without tipping over. Adding additional counterweight (humans or iron) to the operator platform can significantly up the lift capacity ante.

I pondered this for a long time. What I came up with and I am so glad I did is an articulated mini wheel loader with a branch manager grapple. Way stronger and lifts more than a mini no turf problems I bought an AL20dx series 2
My guys l love it and say it's the best piece of equipment that we own!

I pondered this for a long time. What I came up with and I am so glad I did is an articulated mini wheel loader with a branch manager grapple. Way stronger and lifts more than a mini no turf problems I bought an AL20dx series 2
My guys l love it and say it's the best piece of equipment that we own!

Ahh but that wouldn't fit sideways on a truck. The small Avant articulated loader would though...But it isn't quite the machine a mini is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Ahh but that wouldn't fit sideways on a truck. The small Avant articulated loader would though...But it isn't quite the machine a mini is.

Try again big boy! The al20dx is the avant multi-quip before avant started marketing it. with the grapple all coupled up it is 8'6 long so it fits sideways perfectly.

That is 6" wider than my truck, actually. When I looked at the hydraulic specs of the Avant, vermeer 650tx beat it.

Mini isn't bad on turf if you are careful when you turn. I put down plywood when soft ( because of washboard effect due to thread), or at spots I want to do a 180 turn.

That is 6" wider than my truck, actually. When I looked at the hydraulic specs of the Avant, vermeer 650tx beat it.

Mini isn't bad on turf if you are careful when you turn. I put down plywood when soft ( because of washboard effect due to thread), or at spots I want to do a 180 turn.

Mine will lift 1200 pounds and can dual up the front wheels to be stable on hill sides just like my grinder.
Why is your truck only 8' wide? 8'6 is legal and with a chip box you want as much room as possible!
Just my thoughts I'm glad the 650 works for you

Fairbanks Stump,
Can you speak of any issues you've had with your avantage? Would you go out and get an avant 420 with any reservations? I'm seriously looking at it considering with what I've heard and read of it. It seems that most of my thoughts are right in line with what you have posted. Thanks

I currently have an mt52 that I love, but I think the 420 with a bmg would make my world a better place. Sorry; I've been drinking.

I bought a ditch witch sk 500. I built a grapple for it. I love it. It was worth every penny I spent on it a true game changer

We run two sk650's with BMG grapples and now I'm ruined/lazy.

I do a little bit of landscaping here and there and a lot of stumps. It literally made shoveling stump grindings about ten percent of what it used to be. I am not totally exhausted at the end of the day.

Back