What size skid steer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ducaticorse

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm starting to research skid steers, and am looking for some opinions on what size, and attachments people prefer over others. Ie; grapple bucket/ grapple/forks etc.

Reason for purchase is that we do mainly large removals and I need something that expedites clean up. I plan on feeding the chipper with this machine as well.

I don't mind dismantling fences when applicable, laying down 3/4 over grass etc.
Right now I'm thinking a 7 series bobcat, but I'm stuck on attachments. (have to make the money available go as far as it can).

I will also be using the machine for snow and ice management.

I have used a bobcat T190 and a bobcat S150. I prefer the bucket grapple as it is more versatile than the rake grapple. Especially for smoothing out any damage you might do or moving chips etc. I prefer the track machine also as the ride is better and less likely to get stuck.
I would go with the terex formerly asv or check out the new kubota. nice machine. starts at 75hp which is plenty for tree work. Also has joystick controls. If you're careful a track machine does less damage to turf than a wheel machine.

I have used a bobcat T190 and a bobcat S150. I prefer the bucket grapple as it is more versatile than the rake grapple. Especially for smoothing out any damage you might do or moving chips etc. I prefer the track machine also as the ride is better and less likely to get stuck.
I would go with the terex formerly asv or check out the new kubota. nice machine. starts at 75hp which is plenty for tree work. Also has joystick controls. If you're careful a track machine does less damage to turf than a wheel machine.

Great info. I was under the impression that tracks tear up grass more. I can see the pressure foot print being easier on the landscape, but not for turns...

To be more specific, I'm looking to spend as close to 10K as possible, preferably less. I didn't even know Kubota was making their own skid, great to know, but no doubt too pricey at this point in time..

Midsota

If you are looking at grapple buckets, The industrial grapple at the bottom of the page is what we have been using for 5-6 years and has proved to be one tough piece of equipment. Especially for grabbing the tree by the end holding it out lengthwise in the air for bucking. We run ours on a John Deere 260. Don't know the capacities, but wouldn't want anything smaller. FWIW

http://www.midsotamfg.com/pages/Grapples

If you are looking at grapple buckets, The industrial grapple at the bottom of the page is what we have been using for 5-6 years and has proved to be one tough piece of equipment. Especially for grabbing the tree by the end holding it out lengthwise in the air for bucking. We run ours on a John Deere 260. Don't know the capacities, but wouldn't want anything smaller. FWIW

http://www.midsotamfg.com/pages/Grapples

Holy **** those are some very reasonable prices. You've used and abused these pieces, and they've held up ok?Thanks for the site..

Great info. I was under the impression that tracks tear up grass more. I can see the pressure foot print being easier on the landscape, but not for turns...

To be more specific, I'm looking to spend as close to 10K as possible, preferably less. I didn't even know Kubota was making their own skid, great to know, but no doubt too pricey at this point in time..

You have to be careful on your turns just as you would with a skid steer wheel machine but tracks have much less ground pressure.

100_2078%20%28Small%29.JPG

That's a damn big machine.... I do mostly residential removals, and think driving that tank around would scare people LOL. I'm looking at more of a mid weight steer..

Did that grapple hold that entire log out straight?

Holy **** those are some very reasonable prices. You've used and abused these pieces, and they've held up ok?Thanks for the site..

Wow, I actually put up a pic! sorry,didn't know i could do that. Yes, you NEED that bar across the front to hold tines together & the rounded clamps like those for grabbin trees from the end. Last year is the first time we did any touch-up welds where the mounting plate hooks up, they were starting to stretch a little, but we've pushed this thing alot harder than it was meant for.

aviod skid steer

several companies make articulating loaders that dont tear up lawn like a skid steer will or a tractor with turf tires also woks great to grapple buckets are a must for removing wood and brush no dragging or lifting

several companies make articulating loaders that dont tear up lawn like a skid steer will or a tractor with turf tires also woks great to grapple buckets are a must for removing wood and brush no dragging or lifting

Agreed. I've looked into them, BUT, the Gehls available are too pricey, and the mini's dnt have enclosures for winter work. Price wise, it looks like a skid for now.

t 200

i have used a t 200 on my own yard,it is unbelievable what it can do.on firm ground you can drive it on the grass with no marks.but if soft ,will still mark it up a bit. the t150 is lighter and less power,but nice too.k

Have run the 763, 863,873, 864, t200, t250 extensively over the past 20 years and the t300 currently. Tracks instead of tires anytime. If you're in the 10K range, all you'll get in reasonable shape is the 763.
Bobcat 763 Kubota Diesel Skid Steer Loader 46HP Garaged
Not a bad machine and if you need more traction, you can get the steel tracks to put over the tires. Keep in mind the hydraulic flow output. With some of the attachments, GPM is a limiter on what you can run. The machine shown doesn't have the plumbing for attachments so that would need to installed as well as on any other machines that don't have it. I too have been looking for a machine but nothing interests me yet.

Have run the 763, 863,873, 864, t200, t250 extensively over the past 20 years and the t300 currently. Tracks instead of tires anytime. If you're in the 10K range, all you'll get in reasonable shape is the 763.
Bobcat 763 Kubota Diesel Skid Steer Loader 46HP Garaged
Not a bad machine and if you need more traction, you can get the steel tracks to put over the tires. Keep in mind the hydraulic flow output. With some of the attachments, GPM is a limiter on what you can run. The machine shown doesn't have the plumbing for attachments so that would need to installed as well as on any other machines that don't have it. I too have been looking for a machine but nothing interests me yet.

That one is pretty clean, but I think he's a couple two tree grand high on the price from what I've seen, hard to tell exactly cuz they didn't list hours. Thanks for the info on the flow, I was aware of that, eventually I plan on looking into the grinding attachment ( flow important).

Ideally, it would be that machine, plumbed for attachments, heated, enclosed cab with bucket for 10K.

I think it's attainable given today's economic conditions

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php
This is the set up I am using I don't like the grapple at all it does a good job pushing but you can't pick very much up with it everything just falls out the bottom.

Keep looking and be ready to jump, especially on CL. I looked for a long time for my new used one ton and it was well worth it.

With the winter upon us and the landscping companies down till spring, ask around to see if any owners are looking to trade their equipment for new in the spring. They might be willing to sell to you instead. Again, be ready with the cash as I have found thats what pushes them to decide.

Keep looking and be ready to jump, especially on CL. I looked for a long time for my new used one ton and it was well worth it.

With the winter upon us and the landscping companies down till spring, ask around to see if any owners are looking to trade their equipment for new in the spring. They might be willing to sell to you instead. Again, be ready with the cash as I have found thats what pushes them to decide.

Yeah, kinda think of it, most of all my stuff is from CL.. I just put down on a like new bandit for about half of what they are currently advertised at with a fraction of the hours. I know I'll find a skid for "steal"

Back