What to do about persistent poachers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Legally and non violent would be to call 911 and report an intruder every time you notice them on your property, barring that, do some due dillegence and research what is needed to post your property so that Trespassing by anyone can be prosecuted, every state and county has a different set of rules, could be as rediculous as purple paint on trees, or like here in WA it doesn't need to be marked at all, private property is private property. Then once you have proof, be it witnesses, or trail cams prosecute, if the sheriff/police refuse, prosecute them as accomplices (they won't be happy about it, and will retaliate but FTP they should uphold the laws or be subject to them) May be you need to visit the local DA, or even the Sec of state, keep going until you get results.

As for the good ole boys argument, private property is private property, you don't buy 440 acres to have the neighbors treat it like its theirs.

Now... Is trapping animals legal in your area? if so, it could be an interesting hobby to get into, working up a trap line in 440 acres would take some time and a substantial investment, but a couple hundred poorly marked bear traps, set up on their favorite paths...(bears that is...) would certainly have an effect on them getting away.

I would also look into castle doctrine status of your state, i.e. do you have the right to defend yourself from some ******* on your property clearly armed, and possibly dangerous. (and this isn't a gee it would be funny to tell the passivist to shoot his neighbors) You start pushing back against these morons, they will more then likely push back harder, they have already demonstrated an unwillingness to respect your property, you or your pets, past experience goes to show that if they catch legal trouble, then violence started by them is the eventual escalation. So do yourself a small favor, get a rifle, learn how to use it well, and keep it nearby anytime they might be around. (yes this coming from the "liberal")

an expensive, but reasonably effective solution, is tall strong fences, difficult to climb over, and hard to see through. then plausibly if they get caught cutting said fence, it could be breaking and entering with intent to do harm...

Skip the retaliation. It will only cause you legal issues and result in escalating the situation.

1. Put the No Trespassing signs up at appropriate height per the game warden. Hide cameras near/above to document them ignoring them and/or removing them. Also, put a second set of No Trespassing signs up higher on the same tree to magnify your point to game warden/law enforcement.

2. As stated, have your attorney send certified letters to these families advising them they are not welcome on your land and if they are found, will be prosecuted both criminally and civilly to the fullest extent of the law.

3. As many have stated, invite some other law-abiding hunters (especially law enforcement, first responders, veterans, and other respected community members) to your property who will respect your wishes and act as watch dogs. Advise them of the activities involving these criminals driving your property pre-dawn. The folks you invite to hunt will be motivated to be up early to keep this from occurring as it will drive the same deer off your property that they are hunting.

Sorry about your dog. Avoid retaliation as it will result in you becoming the focal point of law enforcement.
Agree. Good summary and right down the line of what my notes say. Thank you. I’ll go from there.

I do not know about new york but in many states there is a purple paint law, you do not have to worry about signage getting torn down, just paint your trees with purple paint on your borders. and as others have said game wardens are state officals they swing a bigger stick than the locals.

I do not know about new york but in many states there is a purple paint law, you do not have to worry about signage getting torn down, just paint your trees with purple paint on your borders. and as others have said game wardens are state officals they swing a bigger stick than the locals.
No purple paint law in NY yet. But it would improve my case if every tree on the line has purple paint on it. Argument of “I didn’t know, I didn’t see the signs” falls away.

Only need the line that butts up to the buttheads who are trespassing. Even if no survey is done you could always make sure your on your property even if it's 10-50' in and do the paint thing as guys have suggested

I heard and found it interesting that the color purple was selected because color blind people can see it, that seems so wierd, when we did our lines I painted the trees just inside our property line and did not worry about how straight it was , and instead of using a spray can paint I went to the paint store and had them mix a gal .of exterior and went at it with a brush, much cheaper. It has been 3 years and it is still there, but it does need a touch up.

I'd suggest that you proceed with caution. You and your family are new to the area and the locals likely have many connections that go back a lot of years. The last thing that you need are idiots targeting you, your family and your belongings. Counting on the law to protect you leaves you getting protection after the fact.

I think you've gotten a lot of good advice but please don't following any of the advice given here that involves injuring other humans. From reading your postings I'm sure you wouldn't anyway but it bears repeating.

Guess that dude took my post a little to personal.... Was just trying to point out a law of mathematic that works here "for every action there is a equal and opposite reaction" probably not "equal" but.........

I bought 10 acres adjacent to my property, the sign went up at 3:30 or so my wife saw it and after talking to me called the realtor and had a purchase agreement by 5:00, by the next morning there were 4 other offers, ours won and that made those people very pissed(I offered the full price which was reasonable)....it hasn't been fun and I've had to come across as a crazy ******* to keep them off(my signs get shot alot) my property...I had to walk in front of my neighbors stand(it looks out over the land...the PO was only here once years ago...so they hunted it like their own....they moved some stands off after I got it) to get into my new property....I made a road though the woods to get there and devert the deer......anyway the jealousy thing sucks....I just didn't want another neighbor not to piss off my other neighbor(but to be honest it does give my some satisfaction! And I get to use CHAINSAWS:chainsaw::rock:)

Cameras:
You will have to place one camera high in a tree watch the other camera.
(and both in a metal box) The lower camera is actually bait.
Put up a sign CAMERAS IN USE, No trespassing. Leased for hunting to the local Game Wardens and DA.
Trespassers likely will be shot. Survivors will be tortured and then maybe prosecuted.

Also I've rigged tire flatners using 1/4 inch pipe welded to a steel plate. It gets an instant flat.

Maybe also ask the Game Warden to pay you a visit when the next big snow comes around. Take a 4 wheeler or utv ride around the property looking for their tracks in the snow. (especially out of season)

Like one guy said, they have been doing this for a long time and you are an outsider that has some good hunting property.
Might even put up some signs.
Problem is they have no respect for your property or dogs.
It would not work out very well, ever, for whoever shot my dogs on my own property.

Get the law on your side and do not get in a situation where they turn the tables.
Keep constantly calling the Game Warden and Sheriffs dept and get some complaints registered.

I heard and found it interesting that the color purple was selected because color blind people can see it, that seems so wierd, when we did our lines I painted the trees just inside our property line and did not worry about how straight it was , and instead of using a spray can paint I went to the paint store and had them mix a gal .of exterior and went at it with a brush, much cheaper. It has been 3 years and it is still there, but it does need a touch up.
I'm mildly color blind (similar colors blend blue/black, tan/brown/pink, grey and just about everything) purple can be pink, grey or blue depending on whats around it.
I think they chose purple as only crazy people would use it otherwise, or more then likely some new age "witchy" soccer mom realllllllly likes purple and has some swing on the county council.

Get some Nelson Paint. It will last longer than latex. I used to use super spot, but it makes a mess and the gun can be a pain to keep clean. Aero Spot is a little more expensive, but is super easy to use and lasts a long time. https://nelsonpaint.com/aero-spot/ I've tried other brands, but nothing lasts like Nelson. They also have special boundary paint you can brush on or get a sprayer and squirt on: https://nelsonpaint.com/boundary-mark/

One thing I was told to do by the Sheriff here in Indiana is this:

If the sheriff is called and they talk to them, they have to do a search for wants/warrants. I was told to then take that information (if they are clean) and get a restraining order to keep them off the property. Then all they have to do is step foot on the place and you get it on camera. They are toast because you would prosecute them for that.

All the other things that have said apply. I have a customer that is a non-resident landowner of 80 acres. After he bought the place he had trespass problems. Both Sheriff and Game Warden was called and told of the problems, I was made an agent of the landowner AND the landowner signed an affidavit saying that he WOULD prosecute anyone found trespassing. For some reason, problems tapered off after that.

A few NY things. Need license to trap. Posted signs need yearly inspection. My worst trespassing people work for the state (they don't work for you by any stretch of the imagination). Be ready to find out that the bad guys wear purple ties and you crossed the baddest street gang in the state. If you don't have a buddy who can check backgrounds then you have no business roaming around, much less buying property in the corrupt state of NY.

Besides being local, sponsored all kinds of little league, working volunteer fire and having guys who pull triggers in,/for different three letter.gov I have still made serious efforts before and after buying land to solve the problem before I have to avenge my dog. You should have had every cell number, name, handshake, birthday, favorite libation...of all the neighbors shortly after closing. If you don't establish your rules them they will establish theirs.

A few NY things. Need license to trap. Posted signs need yearly inspection. My worst trespassing people work for the state (they don't work for you by any stretch of the imagination). Be ready to find out that the bad guys wear purple ties and you crossed the baddest street gang in the state. If you don't have a buddy who can check backgrounds then you have no business roaming around, much less buying property in the corrupt state of NY.

Besides being local, sponsored all kinds of little league, working volunteer fire and having guys who pull triggers in,/for different three letter.gov I have still made serious efforts before and after buying land to solve the problem before I have to avenge my dog. You should have had every cell number, name, handshake, birthday, favorite libation...of all the neighbors shortly after closing. If you don't establish your rules them they will establish theirs.
Point taken. I did canvas this community hard after the purchase and did fairly well with most folks. I hold the key piece of a snowmobile trail and keep it open and improve it. I donate to all the local charities and fire houses etc. I have pretty nice equipment and rent it out to anyone local who needs it. I am starting a new business that will create 30 well paying jobs in the next ten years and that is a much more powerful tool in a wildly economically depressed area where jobs disappear by the hundreds all the time.

This clan though, from the start, said to my face that they had and would continue to hunt my property. It’s frustrating, to be sure. I’ll cultivate my relationship with law enforcement and put other hunters on the front line with these boys. It’s all about the long game in this situation, and as I find out more about their practices, I can make inroads, as well as make hunting my land expensive for them through civil courts and the court of public opinion. There isn’t a single land owner in the area that likes their land poached by these jokers; and I’m by far not the only one, but they are slow to stand up for themselves, let alone each other, publicly. It will be expensive, but I’m pretty sure i can make it less fun for them; on my land, anyway.
Thanks for your input

I enjoy farming and don’t necessarily need to earn a living doing it. I’d like to pay the property taxes with the hunting and continue to improve deer habitat and nutrition yearly. yes, am not too worried about it except that it endangers my family, my livestock, and my dog is dead. I found where one stray bullet lodged in the side of my horse trailer. It sends a chill down the spine, for sure. Some of the poachers are 20-somethings, usually drunk. But 5 or so of the regular poachers in the family are in their 40’s 50’s and upper 60’s. They should know better and act better but evidence shows they don’t.
Introduce the young ones to crack and meth.

A year or two and they have no desire to hunt.

Point taken. I did canvas this community hard after the purchase and did fairly well with most folks. I hold the key piece of a snowmobile trail and keep it open and improve it. I donate to all the local charities and fire houses etc. I have pretty nice equipment and rent it out to anyone local who needs it. I am starting a new business that will create 30 well paying jobs in the next ten years and that is a much more powerful tool in a wildly economically depressed area where jobs disappear by the hundreds all the time.

This clan though, from the start, said to my face that they had and would continue to hunt my property. It’s frustrating, to be sure. I’ll cultivate my relationship with law enforcement and put other hunters on the front line with these boys. It’s all about the long game in this situation, and as I find out more about their practices, I can make inroads, as well as make hunting my land expensive for them through civil courts and the court of public opinion. There isn’t a single land owner in the area that likes their land poached by these jokers; and I’m by far not the only one, but they are slow to stand up for themselves, let alone each other, publicly. It will be expensive, but I’m pretty sure i can make it less fun for them; on my land, anyway.
Thanks for your input
Guess I should let you know.. I am a Former Marine and Looking for a new gig... Dirty deeds are done dirt cheap is my motto, and sleeping on the ground in -30 is not an issue. I could bag them and claim they were trying to "deliverance me" then I could go straight into about how I self identify as a blasian transgender octopus and there were 9 of them.... just saying... Top Edralin used to say that idle hands were the devils tools... and I am bored at the moment. ;)

Guess I should let you know.. I am a Former Marine and Looking for a new gig... Dirty deeds are done dirt cheap is my motto, and sleeping on the ground in -30 is not an issue. I could bag them and claim they were trying to "deliverance me" then I could go straight into about how I self identify as a blasian transgender octopus and there were 9 of them.... just saying... Top Edralin used to say that idle hands were the devils tools... and I am bored at the moment. ;)
Ken your speaking my language now🤣

Back