What to do with a volunteer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the only way to get there is to lie (or not volunteer the whole truth) to a company man to get a job so he will teach you, then that is a choice you'll have to make. But keep in mind that "they" invited you to.

Incomplete thanks for the very complete answer. You lost me here though.

Incomplete thanks for the very complete answer. You lost me here though.

The answer to your question was "don't volunteer, don't ask to spectate; get a job as a groundie". What seemed to be skipped over was your apparent desire to determine whether or not you really would like the trade, without the obligation and expectation of employment. Sort of an Exploratory Investigation. Anyway, I don't know how a man can support his family on a groundy's wages. Maybe if it's not your only job. But treework is a demanding mistress that will drain you dry, but leave you smiling. I know a lot of guys work a dead job during the week and swing trees all weekend long (I think someone suggested that to you). The response that was given was "get a job at the bottom of the ladder" even if you don't plan on staying with that employer. But if you tell them you don't know/don't plan on staying with them, they'll never hire you. Soooo, there is the suborning of perjury right there. ;o) If money is not an issue (Ha!), then by all means start low and aim high.

I have heard of guys Teaching newbs for a fee, like Weekend Class/Night School.

Anecdotal Time:

A local company I used to do business with instated a new policy: No More Side Work for Employees; i.e. You Can't Do What You Want on Your Own Time Because We Think It's Hurting Our Bottom Line. Instead of incentivizing employee participation in the Company, by paying commissions for work brought in, they penalized industry. Everyone was forced to sign a new contract, and those who didn't where fired on the spot and then denied unemployment because their lawyer claimed "they quit" to the state board. Needless to say, not too many people refused to sign. Those who did sign, wait for it, kept doing side work. The Company created a situation where it encouraged it's employees and prospective employees to lie to them. That's not a healthy work environment. That is not a long lasting symbioses. Employers have to take care of their employees, create an environment that they don't want to leave, but be willing to cut the dead weight, plug the slow leaks. An employers job is to work himself out of a job: as he moves up the ladder in his own business, he must have a man behind him who can fill the vacancy absolutely.

But I understand most people aren't like this. Most are content with a paycheck and the weekend. Life is To Short to waste a minute of it in drudgery. We have no guaranty that after twenty years we'll have a pension, or that we'll even have the strength to enjoy that "retirement". Don't waste a minute doing something that is "good enough". Find what you absolutely love to do (look at your favorite hobby) and make a way for that to become your primary source of income. Even if it requires some long-term planning. Keep in mind that there are NO get rich quick schemes that last (look at the majority of lottery winners) And remember that the enemy of The Best is not The Worst, it's The Good or Good Enough.

not to change the sub or be sexest but can a women really do this job. i see young men that cant handle it all the time I consider myself in good shape but somtimes after some real rope work, or allday dragging and chipping, or like i said earlier walking around allday with a powerpole, and doing this somtimes 6 day a week, make me think twice about careers. this also goes to the op make sure the is what you want cause it can be dangerous and tough way to make a living:taped:

We regularly say it takes an exceptional young man to want to start in this business, but then compare the young lady to a the average. Look at those who play ball, or have been in gymnastics all their lives, I could not begin to do what they do; or dancing for that matter. Ballet is a very demanding profession, with a very short productive life cycle.

It is the same as with the men, we have to winnow the chaff to find the good seeds. As for the little gals, they can get farther out on the limbs that someone like me that is pushing 300# when geared up.

Back to DMD's position, I assume he will have decent pension that will help him with the learning curve. Starting as a groundie, then moving to climber trainee can happen in a few months.

Latest posts

Back