What to do with dead saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Option 1: rebuild it.
Option 2: sell it described as a scored cylinder and offset the cost of new saw.
I personally would choose option 1.

if nothing else you can turn it into art.
im toying with the idea of plunging a cut into a tree out behind my house and letting my craftsman/wildthing stick out by the bar.

problem is i think the tree would die of shame.:dizzy:

Unclemoustache, that is a great moustache. I think it might even deserve some rep. You need to take a full-size pic of the stache and post it in a thread dedicated to moustaches in the off topic part of this forum. I'm sure many would award you mass rep for such a contribution! I know I will.

Last edited:
What a rough crowd!:dizzy:

Just because its scored doesn't mean its useless. Pull the top end off and see how bad it is. Many times the cylinder can be salvaged, and just a piston and rings can get it going again. If you aren't mechanical, or don't want to fool with it, box it up and you'll find a taker here on AS if you keep the price low.

I fixed a saw earlier this week that had 75# compression. It was scored, but the cylinder cleaned up, and I cleaned the piston and ring up and put it back together. I was thinking that a new piston and rings were going to be necessary, but 160# compression cold may have changed my mind.

Lots of folks here dislike Echos despite their reliability. The 455 Rancher doesn't get much respect either, but would be a backup saw for not too much additional $ provided the cylinder isn't trashed.

find a parts saw and fix that thing

Forget a parts saw, forget another Echo, go with an aftermarket piston & cylinder (if you find you even need a new clyinder; try some muratic acid on the cylinder & see how it cleans up first) slap that thing back together & sell the Echo....uh oh, on second thought, better keep the echo for a loaner, after all, who would buy the echo!

What a rough crowd!:dizzy:

Just because its scored doesn't mean its useless. Pull the top end off and see how bad it is. Many times the cylinder can be salvaged, and just a piston and rings can get it going again. If you aren't mechanical, or don't want to fool with it, box it up and you'll find a taker here on AS if you keep the price low.

I fixed a saw earlier this week that had 75# compression. It was scored, but the cylinder cleaned up, and I cleaned the piston and ring up and put it back together. I was thinking that a new piston and rings were going to be necessary, but 160# compression cold may have changed my mind.

Lots of folks here dislike Echos despite their reliability. The 455 Rancher doesn't get much respect either, but would be a backup saw for not too much additional $ provided the cylinder isn't trashed.

I did this to my Jred 49sp. It was still running but I saw carbon in the exhaust port. I started cleaning the carbon out but got it inside the engine. I knew right then the engine had to come apart! I pulled the cylinder and piston, cleaned the piston up. I flushed the crankcase out with fuel mix. Cleaned out the ring grove so the ring was free and put it back together. I got 150 cold psi. That's without any running. I haven't checked after a few tanks but I think it has gone up. I can feel more resistance in the starting rope.

You have nothing to loose by taking it apart. Post pictures. We love pictures. Ask questions.

Dan

Latest posts

Back