What to do with junk wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the owner of the lot I'm cutting at comes by and is pretty happy with the progress I've made.... then mentions there is some problem trees at his feed mill (adjacent lot)... an ash that has a branch touching the roof and several brushy trees that are in the way of removing some tanks that will be need to be moved out by crane in the next month or two.... I'm thinking - great now I'm his yard b***h.... but I say I'll take a look... finally looked it over last night and come to find those "brushy" trees are all mulberry and the ash branch is 2 minutes work with the pole saw.... needless to say I'm all over that action :rock:

Yeah, what woodbooga said.
That's just the kind of wood my fire pit sees almost every night from early spring to early winter. We cook most all our meals outside (except when it's raining) over that fire. The nice thing about "lesser" wood is it burns down fast to a low cooking fire, whereas "better" woods (like oak) can take one, two, maybe even three hours to "burn down".

attachment.php

What? Are you on a hotdog and baked potato diet? or do you got a spit to drop over that thing?

I agree with Indiansprings

In this economy not everyone is rolling in dough (and people are still losing jobs left and right) and can afford primo seasoned wood....but might still need some wood. Well, will need wood even more then if they are outta work and/or they didn't get enough and it is a harsh winter, etc.

Offer the wood at a discount, it'll sell. Money is money, and if it needs to be cut and moved anyway, might as well make a little payback on it. Or even offer a swap, a "what ya got"? deal. Who knows what treasures you might get for a cord of grade B or C wood from someone who really needs *something* to burn but is short on cash.

Then there is pure charity, perhaps to some elderly folks on small fixed income, etc.

The last thing I would do is just burn it in a bonfire. I just can't waste stuff like that. I see some of that around here and it actually whizzes me off, not even an attempt to even give it away first, even just a sign on the road "free wood" or anything, just push it in a pile and throw some diesel on it and burn it...just don't seem right to me.

dead on,zogger...dead on....

if it burns... around here you can sell it.... someone is too lazy to cut their own.:rock:

I feed mine to the cows..

OK OK I don't have cows but it would be pretty cool if you could!

Junk wood I burn in my shed or I have brush fires in early winter after the 1st snow, or in the spring in the rainy season..

What? Are you on a hotdog and baked potato diet? or do you got a spit to drop over that thing?
Hot dogs and baked potatoes are for rookies and girl scouts.

I've got several different cooking grates, grilles, spits, forks, and whatnot... most homemade with my welder and ingenuity. That, and with an assortment of cast iron cookware there ain't nothin' you can't make on a campfire... including pies, cakes, cookies and bread.

You really should try my campfire coffee... it'll put hair on your willy...

just ask a woman.... they will tell ya, if their hard up enough there's no junk wood!!!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Did some camping over the weekend and brought along a couple swedish candles made from siberian elm. Son in law was impressed and put in his order for next year:msp_smile: The candles were about 12" diameter and ~24-30" long, seasoned for about 10 months and were plenty dry. Makes for a nice 2-3 hour fire with no fussing around (re-arranging splits, adding more wood, etc.) Also makes for a very clean burning fire, something other campers could use a few lessons on.... A good use for "junk wood".

Last edited:
Update

Well over the summer and to date I ended up with about 6 cords split and another 6 in rounds of the so called "junk wood"... siberian elm, american elm, cotton wood, boxelder.. Anything good - ash, black cherry and mulberry has come home with me.

Got a call about a month ago from the property owner, he knows the owner of the local marina/bar/restaurant and they're looking for alot of wood for their fireplace that they keep going during business hours.. I mention that the wood has only been split since July, some later - they don't care how seasoned or what type of wood it is. Delivered 5 loads over the weekend, and will need more throughout the winter. They were burning it as I delivered the last loads and it seemed to burn just fine, the last 3 months with no rain helped in that respect. I'm charging $60 for aprox 50-55 cubic feet (what I can get in my 1/2T pickup), not much but I need to deal with the junk wood just so I can get to the better stuff for my own use. The best part is I didn't have to advertise and deal with the general public, and it seems that they maybe able to use all the wood I need to get rid of from the lots I'm clearing :msp_biggrin:

I forgot the best part, after delivering a load of wood, walk 10 steps to the bar and have a cold one!

Last edited:
Ok people repeat after me "there is no such thing as junk wood, there is no such thing as junk wood, there is no such thing"! Unless the wood is so punky and rotten that it falls apart before you can load it into the truck. Uggg...so many wood snobs on this site...clearly this disease is way more prevalent on the east coast. This is easily a curable disease though, load up your saws and head to Nebraska, now only cut the "good wood not the junk wood" and heat your house with only good wood. After you jumping out of bed in the morning, and your feet sticking to the floor from the ice that will be there from only burning good wood, you will start to appreciate all wood is good.

From what I hear as you get older good wood is harder to get, then it becomes a situation of praying for wood, then a little older and you can barley remember what it was like to have any wood let alone good hard-wood:msp_biggrin:

Back