What to do with this Bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think safety here that thing is not worth using cause that crack in it looks serious

???? It looks "serious" ............ it looks serious of doing what? Do you even know?

Other than one day, one year from now it might throw a chain, what the hell could possibly happen?

Seriously,

Sam

For "everyday" type use, I'd replace it.

I would not completely be done with it though. Someone else mentioned it earlier, but I would save that bar and an old chain to use for leveling stumps, dirty conditions, etc., where the use would be limited.

The bottom line is that if it's the only bar he has or can afford, then there is nothing wrong with using it. It's not likely that it presents much if any safety issues.

I wouldn't use it myself because I have too many other good quality bars.
He's not a proffessional cutter, so I think we should let him use it.

It would drive me nuts to have to use a cheap bar like that, but if that's all I had I would make it work.

The only mechanical disadvantage I see with the cracks is that the rails would tend to spread in that area, especialy if the saw was already cutting tobaggans.
Gypo

The bottom line is that if it's the only bar he has or can afford, then there is nothing wrong with using it. It's not likely that it presents much if any safety issues.

I wouldn't use it myself because I have too many other good quality bars.
He's not a proffessional cutter, so I think we should let him use it.

It would drive me nuts to have to use a cheap bar like that, but if that's all I had I would make it work.

The only mechanical disadvantage I see with the cracks is that the rails would tend to spread in that area, especialy if the saw was already cutting tobaggans.
Gypo

Your right certainty no professional here and if i can keep $70 bux in my pocket longer its better. Yes it's a cheap bar and probably has served it's purpose well and still can. That saw wont even be used all that often either but when it does I don't want that extra worry of throwing a chain or it fraging for the mere price of a bar.

That saw wont even be used all that often either but when it does I don't want that extra worry of throwing a chain or it fraging for the mere price of a bar.

Do you seriously have "extra worry" when it comes to throwing a chain??? Or "fraging" ???

What is the world coming to. If your life is so boring that throwing a chain or a bar "fraging" (of which has probably never happened, you make it sound like the bar is a potential grenade or something), then you need to step out in life and trying something a little more adventurous. You should probably be wearing every piece of PPE that money can buy, especially the groin protector and maybe a mouthpiece for good luck.

Just here to help,

Sam

Do you seriously have "extra worry" when it comes to throwing a chain??? Or "fraging" ???

What is the world coming to. If your life is so boring that throwing a chain or a bar "fraging" (of which has probably never happened, you make it sound like the bar is a potential grenade or something), then you need to step out in life and trying something a little more adventurous. You should probably be wearing every piece of PPE that money can buy, especially the groin protector and maybe a mouthpiece for good luck.

Just here to help,

Sam

The bottom line is "NO, I don't walk around in fear of my life" or wait for bad things to happen. It was more or less a simple question. Doe's this bar have more life left or replace it...What would you do???

Simple answer...If it's at risk of coming apart I'll easily replace it and be done with it. Or if it's good for a little while and that's fairly common then the $ is certainty better in my pocket then someone elses.

The bottom line is "NO, I don't walk around in fear of my life" or wait for bad things to happen. It was more or less a simple question. Doe's this bar have more life left or replace it...What would you do???

Simple answer...If it's at risk of coming apart I'll easily replace it and be done with it. Or if it's good for a little while and that's fairly common then the $ is certainty better in my pocket then someone elses.

Advice, use the bar until it is worn out just like any other bar. The stars and moon would have to line up just right, and you would have to hold your tongue just right for this bar to endanger your life anymore than any other bar.

My opinion,

Sam

Use it. I really dont see a safety issue for occasional use. Worst case might be a messed up chain. Compared to the dangers in using a chainsaw to begin with, I dont think a cracked bar adds too much. Just forget all about that crack and carry on,bars are expensive...:givebeer: Its all good..........

I'm thinking of getting a bar anyways and just saving that for some crap cutting. Do I got with another 24" or get a 28"? It's going on my homie 925

If the majority of your wood cutting will be less than 24", I'd say you are much better off with the shorter bar. Less money to buy, new loops of chain are less expensive, better performance in most wood as long as a severing cut can be done in one stroke. I have bars from 20" to 42" to fit most of my Huskys, but the shorter bars seem to get the overwhelming majority of the work.

Not since I was a teenager.........

Use it ot lose it.

I always enjoy how everything on this site becomes a :check:.

Homelite 925s were sold in droves around here with the 20"-28" Homelite bars. They work well all the way up to the 28" and in my opinion are best served by a 24" or 28", with my preference being 28". Keep your eyes open because there are still a fair amount of those bars out there NOS or barely used.

Keep your eye on the seals and bearings, lots of 925s have had damage done to them because they will run fine during a bench test but during use the seals will leak enough to cause PC damage. Just looked at a couple of good condition ones that the seals pissed out on and now they need a P/C. These saws were just "serviced and tested" on a bench.

Last edited:
Use it ot lose it.

I always enjoy how everything on this site becomes a :check:.

Homelite 925s were sold in droves around here with the 20"-28" Homelite bars. They work well all the way up to the 28" and in my opinion are best served by a 24" or 28", with my preference being 28". Keep your eyes open because there are still a fair amount of those bars out there NOS or barely used.

Keep your eye on the seals and bearings, lots of 925s have had damage done to them because they will run fine during a bench test but during use the seals will leak enough to cause PC damage. Just looked at a couple of good condition ones that the seals pissed out on and now they need a P/C. These saws were just "serviced and tested" on a bench.

I just found a NOS 28" for it. I was thinking either 24 or 28 but I have a few 24's already and whatever goes on it would stay on it so thinking a 28 just for fun. It's not a work saw anymore, just a fun saw.

On those NOS 28" bars can the saftey tip over the sprocket be removed?

I just found a NOS 28" for it. I was thinking either 24 or 28 but I have a few 24's already and whatever goes on it would stay on it so thinking a 28 just for fun. It's not a work saw anymore, just a fun saw.

On those NOS 28" bars can the saftey tip over the sprocket be removed?

The ones that I have seen, yes.

925s are a good saw to run for fun.

Mt bar finally came in the mail today. It only took 2 weeks...I hate the post office!!! It was well worth the wait though cause its super nice. Brand New Sugi Bar for the 925.

DSC04379.jpg

Latest posts

Back