What to get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHMike

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was bucking up a bunch of trees Saturday morning and was just about done when the saw ( Husky 355 Rancher) made a hiccup sound and died. Still has compression, but does not want to start. So that night I tell the wife that the firewood production has come to a halt until I can get the saw fixed. She tells me to go out and get another high quality saw and get the husky fixed & use as a backup since we bought it in 2000.

Well, you don't have to tell me twice! So I need some help in picking a saw.

I am looking at the Stihl 271 Farm Boss, Husky 450 or 455 Rancher, or the Echo Timber Wolf CS-590.
I've only owned 2 saws & both were huskys. I am by no means an arborist, in fact I will only cut trees up to a certain size that I am comfortable with ( 20" - 25" ). Anything bigger, and my neighbor who is a logger will drop them for me. I have 40 acres with a tractor and skidding winch. I generally CSS about 8-10 cord per year, although I was hoping to up that amount this year.

What are your thoughts??

With the amount of wood that you're cutting I would get the best saw that I could afford, being you have a 355 a 70cc saw would be a good choice if possible, either way good luck and let us know how it works out.

I've read a lot of good reviews on the CS-590. I will be stopping by the different dealers to look the saws over & get a feel for them.

I havn't set a firm budget, but I'd like to stay close to the $400 range.

All good recommendations. There is a Echo 600 in the classifieds, and Mastermind has a Stihl 044 for sale for $550 that is ported- that would be the one I grabbed.

Find the best dealer in your area, ask for recommendations given your requirements, and go from there. As long as the brand is Stihl, Husky, Echo, Dolmar, or Jonsered, it'll be up to the task.

Without a doubt the Echo 590 is a far better choice than the others listed. The Stihls in that category are way overpriced and the Husqvarnas will be disappointing. Go with the Echo.

Back