What to Replace my Dolmar 421

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gearjunkie

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've owned 4, 42cc Dolmars in the past 4yrs and although they have the best power/weight ratios of any saw in its class, the ongoing intermittent lean idle conditions that leave me hanging on jobsites, has lead me to trying something else..

I went today to my local Husky dealer/buddy to pick up my new 562xp, i took the 421 back in to have him have a look to see what the problem with the Dolmar was this time, because the last 3 421's have had same issues.. fuel line fell off inside tank earlier this year and it ran great for the past 6 months until this week, it would idle down ffine then pick up and start high idling.. no amount of carb adjustment would correct it, and I've had enough.. I love the little dolmars but if they can be counted on, then it has no place on my tree truck..

Anyways, while at the dealers today i looked at the MIJ Redmax 543xp then saw Mweba's Utube video/s, man they look as lame stock as the MS260 of about 12yrs ago, and yes I've read that they wake up after 10-12 tanks of fuel, but the videos looked like stock their anything but impressive.. And for the $640CDN price tag plus 13% tax, im not sure I've brought home the right 40cc ground saw..Even with squish tightened down to .019", which ive read seems to be the sweet spot, possible exhaust opened up, etc, is this saw worth the effort or should i be looking at something else..

What are your thoughts on these or a top contender in this class saw..

Fuel line issue on the 421 has been fixed for quite some time now from the factory and a simple o-ring on the line fixed the early ones that fell off.

What has been the issue with them leaning out?

Likely a built MS241. The 543xp interests me but w/o porting it looks pretty tepid. The 241 is a good saw stock and better one ported. If you don't mind me asking, how are you using it at work and for what tasks?

Although I've been a Stihl mechanic for over 10yrs and then stepped into the aboriculture trade 17yrs ago now, wow how time flies, but grown to prefer the ergonomics of the XP's and now wondering other than mixed reviews on the 550xp, it and the 543 are the same weight but with a .75hp increase over the 543 which is attractive in itself.

The 421 Dolmar with 15" bar has been invaluable for use in the tree as a replacement climber once the wood exceeds the 12" 200T. Also perfect for on the ground limbing and bucking up to 6"-8" stuff. Absolutely loved that saw until it starts acting up.

Another beef I've had with these past 3-421 that the 420 never did was once the engines warmed up and ran then shut off, 9/10 times it needs to be choked for restart. Sometimes a 4-6" pull will fire these engines and what initially sold me on the 420 but to often their too temperamental

Fuel line issue on the 421 has been fixed for quite some time now from the factory and a simple o-ring on the line fixed the early ones that fell off.

What has been the issue with them leaning out?

The 421 I took in today with lean issues, I purchased new last fall had the fuel line fall off inside the tank this summer and my dealer got me going, and ran great {other than intermittent warm start issues} until this week. Idle rpm will pickup and start spinning chain, induce extra fuel charge through primer bulb and sure enough it will bring engine back down to rough idle only to rev back up high again once that primed fuel burns off. I richened low speed jet to no avail. Checked fuel like inside tank and still attached.

I'm a stickler for preciously mixed premium gas and synthetic Dolmar or Husky oil. But like I've mentioned that little 421 is one dynamite saw when their running right and I've sold a pile of them for my dealer but man when I can't trust and depend on them it doesn't matter who's name on it, they need to perform flawlessly.

Just wondering if there possibly was never an O ring installed on that intank fuel line, that could be causing this lean condition huh.

The 5105 or the 5100 { 50ish cc } I had a few years ago for a short period if I remember correctly was a fair bit bigger body and heavier than the 420/421 with a gutted cat and 5/8" stinger, not a saw in its class I've come ever come across thatll come close to out performing it

The 421 I took in today with lean issues, I purchased new last fall had the fuel line fall off inside the tank this summer and my dealer got me going, and ran great {other than intermittent warm start issues} until this week. Idle rpm will pickup and start spinning chain, induce fuel through primer bulb and sure enough it will bring engine back down to rough idle only to rev back up high again once that primed fuel burns off. I richness low speed to no avail. Checked fuel like inside tank and still attached.

I'm a stickler for preciously mixed premium gas and synthetic Dolmar or Husky oil. But like I've mentioned that little 421 is one dynamite saw when their running right and I've sold a pile of them for my dealer but man when I can't trust and depend on them it doesn't matter who's name on it, they need to perform flawlessly.

Have you tried adjusting the carb? sounds like the L is a bit too lean. Whatever the issue it's likely a very simple fix.

I've owned 4, 42cc Dolmars in the past 4yrs and although they have the best power/weight ratios of any saw in its class, the ongoing intermittent lean idle conditions that leave me hanging on jobsites, has lead me to trying something else..
...... ..

Actually, both the the MS241 and the 543xp have a better power to weight ratio than the PS-421.

However, the obvious choice is the 550xp - it isn't much heavier than the 421, but has a lot more power. It also is a better handling saw.

Hmm I am interested in seeing what the problem is with the 421. Echo has a new 361p it is a rear handle version of the 355t. Probably a bit underpowered compared to the 421 but may be worth a look.

Like i mentioned guys, those little 421 Dolmars once those exhausts are opened up cut like a banshee, and i wish i had kept the first 420 i bought because it was one dependable runner.. all 3 421's though has same lean issues at idle, so until they get it figured out, i'll look elsewhere..

I'm looking for something to bridge the gap between the climbing 200T, and older but super clean woods mod 372 and what a great saw its proved to be.

Seeing how the 550 @ 3.75hp and 543 @ 3hp but the same weight @ just under 11lbs, the 550 might be the route to go.. The 562 i brought home yesterday might not have been needed with having the 550 on board..

I'll have to have a look to see what guys have done to wake these 550's up..

I'm in the London area

Like i mentioned guys, those little 421 Dolmars once those exhausts are opened up cut like a banshee, and i wish i had kept the first 420 i bought because it was one dependable runner.. all 3 421's though has same lean issues at idle, so until they get it figured out, i'll look elsewhere..

I'm looking for something to bridge the gap between the climbing 200T, and older but super clean woods mod 372 and what a great saw its proved to be.

Seeing how the 550 @ 3.75hp and 543 @ 3hp but the same weight @ just under 11lbs, the 550 might be the route to go.. The 562 i brought home yesterday might not have been needed with having the 550 on board..

I'll have to have a look to see what guys have done to wake these 550's up..

I'm in the London area
I love both my husky 562 and 550, they go like the clappers and I don't have any serious issues with them.
However - i'd suggest using your 562 for a while before grabbing a 550, as they share a lot of similarities. If you are happy with one, you should be happy with both.
As far as issues - they aren't the best air filter setup in the world and if cutting hard, dead red gum or similar I have to make sure the filter seal is greased. This almost certainly won't be an issue outside of ****** Aussie timber.
Often if I have someone working with me who is unfamiliar with these saws they have trouble starting them. They are saws that must be started as per the manual. Choke till it pops, fast idle and then it'll start. If you don't hear the pop - like when you are standing next to the chipper - it'll flood. If it doesn't start straight away when it's warm it needs fast idle to start.
I have no problem, but it's not uncommon to look down from a tree and see someone wailing away on the starter rope.
They wake up with a muffler mod like few other saws, and a clean up of the casting dags in the ports and setting the squish to .018 - .020 with a thinner base gasket gives a little more again. They won't run with a ported saw, but they are pretty close.

They really are tough little saw a the 435 440 450. Tooless top covers too. Very similar in durability to the old 345 and 350

I'm in London too Gearjunkie , former Stihl Canada employee but looking outside the box now....hahahaha !

I have yet to run a 550xp but have long been infatuated by 346xps and love my 562. A 550/562 combo would cover a lot of ground. I'd almost lean towards a hopped up MS241/562xp combo though as I think it would cover more ground and provide more flexibility.

Back