What to use for air filter material?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cnice_37

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I have a Homelite XL that won't run, looks fine and compression is there so I started digging in. Not sure I should waste my time with this saw, but it was Friday and I was finishing a brew, so why not.

The air filter has disintegrated.

I also have an old Briggs motor for a minibike that has the same style, plug it on, air filter that is basically gone.

Is there some kind of material I can buy off the shelf and cut/ fit to my needs?

I really don't want to spend any kind of money on this saw.

Speaking of which - would you even consider rebuilding a Homelite 240 that runs good except it needs new sprocket and doesn't oil? I'm thinking in a box it goes and when my kid gets old enough we'll consider a gas scooter experiment.

Thanks for the help.

So I have a Homelite XL that won't run, looks fine and compression is there so I started digging in. Not sure I should waste my time with this saw, but it was Friday and I was finishing a brew, so why not.

The air filter has disintegrated.

I also have an old Briggs motor for a minibike that has the same style, plug it on, air filter that is basically gone.

Is there some kind of material I can buy off the shelf and cut/ fit to my needs?

I really don't want to spend any kind of money on this saw.

Speaking of which - would you even consider rebuilding a Homelite 240 that runs good except it needs new sprocket and doesn't oil? I'm thinking in a box it goes and when my kid gets old enough we'll consider a gas scooter experiment.

Thanks for the help.

I asked myself the same question some time back too - fed up of extortionate prices for chainsaw filters - I've found the felty/papery material used as cooker hoods - to absorb smells and grease works fine for me and it's cheap

other suggestions welcome

You can buy thin felt at fabric stores. There is sheet foam that the dirt bike guys use, and syntheitc paper towels will work. K&N sells pre-filters for use with their air filters and they seem to be like silk.

I have a couple of old Stihl 024 filters that appear to be nothing more than screen. My snow blower has no air filter at all, and never has, so wasn't intended to be run in a dirty environment.

You can buy thin felt at fabric stores. There is sheet foam that the dirt bike guys use, and syntheitc paper towels will work. K&N sells pre-filters for use with their air filters and they seem to be like silk.

I have a couple of old Stihl 024 filters that appear to be nothing more than screen. My snow blower has no air filter at all, and never has, so wasn't intended to be run in a dirty environment.

Yeah snowblowers don't worry so much about dirt...but saws do!

I was thinking foam... so I'll look into that. Thanks

I've used felt from fabric stores and had very good luck. You might try metal screen door screen as a base for the felt to lay against. Worked good on 10-10 I had.

Can't stop staring at your avatar....:dizzy:

I like the foam stuff too. It's easy to clean, and you can oil it lightly with air filter oil.

I have used acoustical speaker foam, bulk HVAC filter media, and lightly used, white Scotch Brite pad for small engine air filter material. New Scotch Brite pads contain small particles of loose material that wash away with light use, or just soaking and kneading with your hands.

I would be concerned about heat melting the foam. Have you thought about getting a furnace filter - about $3 at Hd or Wm. Cut out some of the pleated material to fit. You can even use some of the metal screen for a stiffener. Or, you can double it up for thickness.

I would be concerned about heat melting the foam. Have you thought about getting a furnace filter - about $3 at Hd or Wm. Cut out some of the pleated material to fit. You can even use some of the metal screen for a stiffener. Or, you can double it up for thickness.

Excellent thought I can see exactly the piece you are talking about. :rock:

Crapsman/Poulan saws use foam filters. The inner of the Stihl heavy duty filters for the 440/460/660 is foam. The aftermarket MaxFlow fliters for Stihl are foam....

I used Seal-All to attach register vent filter material to old Poulan filters, to have backups in the field.
You can can get a pack of the material cheap at HD or Lowes.

I wouldnt be concerned with foams meant to be air filters melting. Stuff that is used in the ATV and dirtbike world is really tough stuff. I recommend UNI-filter stuff and maybe a prefilter such as outerwear.

I found a real fine mesh stainless screen on ebay and used JB weld to secure it in place.

Interesting idea. I have used stainless reusable filters in utility ATV's. They go down to 20-30 Microns, while the paper are around 10. I would think that would be fine for a saw. I have something to search for on e-bay.

Back