What Tonnage splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been looking aroud for the best price on that 22 and 28 gpm pumps that you guys recomended me, any of you have a good Ideas for places to look for good prices, the only two that I've found online are Northern tool and Surpluscenter.com. My local TSC doesn't carry any that big.

My northern tool 24 ton takes 5 gallons of fluid I made a mistake when I changed it and over filled it what a mess. As soon as i ran it went everywhere. Becareful not to over fill it.

I build a 30 Ton horizontal splitter, 22 gallon pump, 5" x30" cylinder and loglift all from Northern. I split elm and oak. Email me if you need plans, I have them here somewhere.

Ramsplitter

i'd heard positive reviews of this splitter.
upon arrival i wasn't all that impressed.
however, it's proven it's worth.
this is the 20 ton, ramsplitter says it compares favorably to other's 27 ton units.
i'm not sure about that, but here it is making short work of some gnarly osage orange this afternoon.

Cheap Log Splitter

I bought a 22 ton splitter from TSC http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=5&paID=1037&sonID=778&productID=14590 and it works fine for me they sell for 999.00 it has a B$S 6.5hp engine. My brother bought a 30 ton splitter from Harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91840 with a Robin engine on it and it also works fine ( it uses a lot more gas splitting a cord of wood then mine does ) his only cost 1100.00

I think if I had it to do all over I would still buy the 22 ton model from TSC it is the same model that a local hardware store here rents out to people on a regular basis and they told me they hold up well... :angel:

I love my 8 hp honda motor I run it at full power for 20 idle for 10 while I move more wood over to it then full power again. It burns 1.5 gallons in 4 hours at this cycle my other splitters with Briggs engines burn 1 gallon an hour. It saves a ton on a fuel bill and since it is so efficient I just let it idle and don't turn it off when I cut and move logs over to it. I don't think I could back to the other manufactors I might try Kohler though they are susposed to make some good ones.

I'm building a hoz/vert right now. It will have new a 9 hp BS vangaurd, 16 gpm pump, 4.5X24" cyl 15 gallon tank and a plymouth voyager rear axle. It should cost $600-$700 but finding time to finnish it is the big problem.

Logsplitter

I bought an Iron & Oak logsplitter from Ficht Supply. 26 ton vert/horiz, 9hp Honda, log cradle (very useful). It is built like a tank and what it doesn't split, it will shear including nasty gum trees. However, if you want a 4 or 6 way you will have to modify these wedges to use them as the spliiting wedge is located on the ram. 9 gallon hydraulic tank. I haven't found anything it wouldn't split yet.

Back