what tool works best for crank seal removal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helimech

certified donk
Reaction score
hello
I'm wondering what tool works best for the crank seal removal on a 038, 046 and 032? a socket and tapping to install i think also.

also what do you use for the fly wheel removal? i was gonna get the still tool

helimech

You can get the STIHL f/w puller on ebay for less. For seals, use a screw driver to drive down one side of the seal just a tad to loosen it, then use a specialy ground screw driver push into the opposite side of the seal and pry it out. I'd show what mine looks like, if I could do pics. Grind off the tip at about a 30 degree angle and deburr it.

hello
I'm wondering what tool works best for the crank seal removal on a 038, 046 and 032? a socket and tapping to install i think also.
also what do you use for the fly wheel removal? i was gonna get the still tool - ----helimech

I've tried the modified screwdriver puller and had mixed results. The $18.00 Lisle seal puller works better for me, but it also needs some grinding to make the puller point smaller. The Lisle as it comes out of the package is designed for larger seals. The Stihl flywheel puller works great and is available on ebay for around $20.

For seal removal, the factory tool is certainly the ticket. That tool is quite expensive for just a few uses, though. I got by for several years without it. You can get the double ended puller on the internet for $20 or so. Plenty of moped/scooter places stock them.

I have the Stihl one, and it works pretty well. Isn't always as easy as it should be if you get a stubborn seal, but you aint goin to bang up the bearing like the good ol' boy drywall screw method! If you aren't going to do at least one or two seal pulls a year, the Stihl one is a little expensive.

i was looking online and can't find a factory seal tool on the new. any one have a pic of one?
found the fly wheel puller on ebay thanks

I have the Stihl one, and it works pretty well. Isn't always as easy as it should be if you get a stubborn seal, but you aint goin to bang up the bearing like the good ol' boy drywall screw method! If you aren't going to do at least one or two seal pulls a year, the Stihl one is a little expensive.

I've used screws plenty of times to remove seals and have never messed up a bearing...just have to take your time.

I've used screws plenty of times to remove seals and have never messed up a bearing...just have to take your time.
Me either, but some folks do have the old hams for fists...and then the proper tool saves the day. ;)

where the seal rides in the housing, I/e the outside dia. just inside that dia,,take a GOOD awl, and punch a hole in the seal,and dont drive it thru tooooo far. I then use,,a short deck screw, with the torx head,,and screw that into there. then use the claws, of a claw hammer,,to get under the head of the screw,,and pry the seal out...or use a small nail prybar..

Last edited:
does it work well for the smaller flywheel side seals?
you wouldnt happen to have a video of you using the tool would you?

Yes it does , I made the exact same thing out of some screw drivers . Works slick . Push the screw driver down between lip of the seal and crank , turn that notch so it gets under the lip of the seal away from the crank and then either pry or pull the seal out . This has been the best thing I have used so far to get out those flywheel seals on a 024, 026 . Takes less than a minute. The finer the tip the better for those small seals on the flywheel side. A bigger tip works good for the PTO side .

I agree . Funny how the simplest things can make a job like seal removal so easy and not a lot money invested and get some use out of tools that otherwise would not be used.

Latest posts

Back