what tree is this leaf from?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deevo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Okay, so I can't find the name of the tree this leaf belongs to! I looked in all my books and tree id guide. Anyone shed some light? First I thought it was a honey locust...but it's not. :dizzy: It's a large tree that I am doing some dead wooding on next week. It's all going to come down eventually due to it's deteriorating condition. I didn't have my camera to take any pics of the tree at the time.
Thanks in advance

Leaf ID

Okay, so I can't find the name of the tree this leaf belongs to! I looked in all my books and tree id guide. Anyone shed some light? First I thought it was a honey locust...but it's not. :dizzy: It's a large tree that I am doing some dead wooding on next week. It's all going to come down eventually due to it's deteriorating condition. I didn't have my camera to take any pics of the tree at the time.
Thanks in advance

Looks to be Pecan (carya illinoensis) if you have them far north.

Maybe too far north for Pecan sp, but with that bi-pinnate leaf it could be Fraxinus sp (ash), or poss Juglans sp (walnut). I would need more pics to help identify. I own a nursery in California ( high desert, NOT L.A.!) Did it produce any type of seed or nut?

Maybe too far north for Pecan sp, but with that bi-pinnate leaf it could be Fraxinus sp (ash), or poss Juglans sp (walnut). I would need more pics to help identify. I own a nursery in California ( high desert, NOT L.A.!) Did it produce any type of seed or nut?

Yeah, looked around the other day when we were doing a trimming job next door, there were so many leaves on the ground and didn't find much. Should know this week if I got the job to remove it, it's dying and growing into the side of the eaves! :cheers:

Should know this week if I got the job to remove it, it's dying and growing into the side of the eaves! :cheers:
Maybe someone else will get the job to prune it. :yoyo:

Why does it look to you like it's dying? :confused:

Maybe someone else will get the job to prune it. :yoyo:

Why does it look to you like it's dying? :confused:

We did some pruning to it last week, large vertical cracks up 2 of the 5 leader branches and crown has a lot of dead wood. Might be using a bucket or lift to speed things up for removal. Also it's growing into the eaves of the house. I was thinking about a crane, but not enough room for the guy I use to set up.

Latest posts

Back