What truck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

92utownxh

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Maybe you all can help me. Eventually I'm going to be purchasing a truck. Right now I have a little '99 Honda Civic to drive everyday. It has 180,000 miles, paid for, cheap to drive, and about 40 mpg. I also have a Jeep Cherokee with 215,000 miles. It has a 6 inch lift, 4.56 gears, and 33 inch tires. Mechanically it is great. I only drive it maybe once a week. It needs some major sheet metal work. The rocker panels are gone, rusted out. There are a few holes in the floor. Basically it needs a whole new floor welded in. I mainly use the Jeep in winter, 4x4 is a must where I live. I also pull a 5x10 trailer with it for firewood and hay. I'm about at the limit of the Jeep's capabilities there though. I've brought home 175 square bales and 11 big round bales.

I have a wife and a one month old and 5 year old. I'm open to any suggests you folks have as far as vehicles. The Jeep is fun, but it's not useful enough for me. I also have a motorcycle that I'm keeping for sure. My wife likes that I ride and wants me to do what I enjoy. I'm thinking sell the Jeep for what I can. I really not sure what I can get out of it. I'd love $2,000 but not sure I'll get that. I'd like to keep a new to me truck at or below $5,000. I want to be able to take the whole family in it. I've been looking at late 90s and early 2000s Chevy half tons. 4x4 extended cab V8. Ideally I want to sell my 5x10 trailer and get at least a 16' tandem axle. I think I need the biggest truck I can get though. I've seen 3/4 tons also. 4x4, extended cab.

Basically, I want something that will pull and stop a loaded 16'+ trailer full of hay or firewood and haul around 2 adults and 2 kids. It won't be a daily driver since I have the car. I'm open to any make, but I want it to be low maintenance and reliable. Like I said, it has to be 4 wheel drive. I don't care if it's auto or manual. My car is a manual. The only thing is my wife cannot and will not drive a manual. It could be a good thing, but I'm sure it will be useful if she can at least drive the truck if needed. We have 36 acres, woods, field, and livestock. It'd be nice if I could pull a tractor on a trailer also. I don't have the tractor yet though.

What are your suggestions?

I am in the exact same spot you are in. My jeep and honda are both paid off but don't help much with the firewood. My wife says I can get a truck but I would have to sell the car and jeep. The thought of basically giving either away keeps me from making a decision. I will never get a good price on either if sold due to the high milage. I also hesitate to buy any truck from the early 2000s as the frames rot like mad with all the salt they put down. My last truck was a Chevy 1500, 2002 with 80K miles. Frame rotted away to nothing in places. My buddy tells me that the paint that was used back then didn't work very well( I kinda figured that when I could put a fist through the frame holes). It sits out back with the plow on it for winter yard cleanup. Everything else on it is basically brand new. Motor is really just broken in at 80K. Shame

I think you would be happy with a truck like that. Not sure on the towing capacity for a large trailer, you would need to check with the specific truck's rating.

I've owned 98', 2 different 00', and 02' Chev/GMC. Currently own a 97'. Both body styles are nice. The 99+ 5.3 motor has faster acceleration but the 98 and older 350 has more torque. The smaller V8 (4.7 IIRC) available on 99+ is still plenty sufficient to pull most loads.

You will want to beef up rear suspension if you will be hauling hardwood in the box.

Have you considered a Tahoe/Yukon? Not as handy as a truck in some situations, but my Tahoe will tow anything my old Sierra would, and goes just as good in mud and on hills. Miss having a bed to throw stuff in, but with 3 kids, the extra interior room wins that argument.

My wife has a minivan so I was more leaning towards a truck that could haul my family also if needed. I hadn't even thought about a suburban or something like it. There definitely would be good things about it. Another kid isn't out of the question. I'm leaning towards a truck though. I'm tired of pulling a trailer just get some lumber, a gate, or whatever. It'd be nice to just throw stuff in the bed.

Will a half ton be enough truck for me or will I wish I had something bigger? I have no idea on the weight limits on a half ton or 3/4. 4 doors would be nice. When did 4 doors become an option for Chevy or others? Anything to stay away from?

Take a trip south of the rust/snowline and get a straight axle anything, maybe a 3/4 ton suburban. The vehicles down here last a lot longer, little rust, and never been plowed with.

Where we are, with that list of requirements $5000 buys you a list of problems and not much more. I had an old truck that I love(still have it) its a 95 gmc 1500. It has a bed, but its pretty anemic for any heavy duty work. I needed a tow vehicle and something more family ready. I kept the truck and bought a 3/4 ton suburban. Neither of these vehicles get driven everyday. I have a commuter car that gets beaten. I hope these two vehicles last me for almost the rest of my life for the amount that I drive them. People think Im crazy but I dont drive them in teh winter even though they are both 4wd. Its the only way you can guarantee their longevity. I take good care of them and keep them garaged. Everyone's situation is different. It is hard to beat th 3/4 suburban for everything but the gas mileage. :dizzy: with the exception of the excursion, there is not a more utilitarian vehicle on the road.

Don'y know about Gm stuff but the F250 and F350 from 2000 on up will certainly get the job done even with the 5.4L. Friend has a 2000 F250 extra cab and 8ft box 7.3 D works well for him . I have a 99 f350 with the V10 2valve, been a work horse for me, I also have a 2006 F250 with the 5.4L 3 valve It gets the job done also, but not with the authority of the V10 or the Diesel. Thing is kind stay away from the 6.4 & 6.0 diesels they are a bit of a problem.97- 98--99 was a body change over so in that time period there are F250s that are light duty( more like a f150 on steroids) and a second set that are heavy duty. My 06 can have a full ton in the bed and a SS on a trailer behind without shooting the moon with the headlights although with 5.4L up front its working pretty hard but that has a lot to due with the 3.73 rear end instead of something in the 4.xx area.

I have a 1/2ton with a 5.0L and it doesn't like to tow more than ~2000 lbs - it can do more but likes to ping going up slight inclines.
Favorite for towing is my 93 F350 with the dirt simple 7.3 IDI diesel (non-turbo) - towing mileage is better than the 1/2 ton and it pulls my 10k rated equipment trailer and S185 bobcat just fine. I went out of my way to find manuals - don't like the early 90's automatics unless their built up a bit.
A few 99+ superduty recommendations but I don't think you'll find much at $5k and those that are need work.

I'm still leaning more towards a truck, but I looked at some suburbans on craigslist. They're cheap compared to the trucks. Strange. Also, those that mentioned the suburban or tahoe, was that the 1500 or 2500? About all of them I'm seeing are 1500 with a v8.

I'm still leaning more towards a truck, but I looked at some suburbans on craigslist. They're cheap compared to the trucks. Strange. Also, those that mentioned the suburban or tahoe, was that the 1500 or 2500? About all of them I'm seeing are 1500 with a v8.
It's fairly rare to find a good, used 2500 SUV. People buy them and hold them.

With any 3/4 ton you will give up significant mileage when traveling unloaded, which can really add up over time.

The early super duty Fords had lots of front end problems. Also there was one batch of diesels that had a lot of problems and poor mileage compared to earlier and later models. Do your homework once you identify a vehicle to purchase.

Look for the 2500 (3/4 ton) suburban. I think the Tahoe was only available in 1500 (1/2 ton). There is also a Suburban 1500 which is a 1/2 ton version.

I had a 92' F250 4x4 ext cab at one point in time. Had the 460 with the 5spd zf tranny. Got it just for firewood and occasionally moving stuff and it worked like a champ for that. Paid 2000 and sold it for the same amount due to a possible move across the country. Solid truck that was BUT I wouldn't want to drive it too far or haul kids. Especially without four doors.

SVK is right. Unless you use the truck always loaded, it'll be a thirsty vehicle.
But a large SUV type can also hold all the family and all the gear (and keep it dry) for long comfy trips.
Both will pull large trailers seeing as most big trailers come with electric brakes.
Make sure whatever it is it has a tranny cooler.

I never understood why Gm didnt make it from the factory, especially to compete with the Excursion Diesel. They would have sold a pile of them.

Latest posts

Back