What tyoe of tree is this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the pics arent real helpful.

could you get a close up of a leaf and a close up pic of the bark?

Does it have any fruit, seeds, nuts? If it does, pics of them too.

need better pics, more detail

I agree with LD1. No offense, but the pictures aren't clear enough to identify. Without clearer pictures, and seeing bark, leaves, fruit, etc., I would guess, based mainly on the form that it is a dead arborvitae (Northern White Cedar).

When was the pic taken? If it was spring I would guess oak. It would be the only tree I know that doesn't shed it's leaves till the new growth starts in the spring. I also say it's, fastigiata meaning narrow growth cultivar. It could also be a beech judging by the color of the leaves. Post a better pic.

Beech or oak would be my guess as well. If you can make out some of the leaf margins in the second picture, its most likely an oak of some sort. Strange with all that upright growth. Is it possibly just growth off an old stump? haha

(some of the) Oak are the only trees I know of that hold their leaves way into the dormant season.

Depends when the picture was taken. If it was in the spring and the leaves were brown but still hainging on the tree I'd say English Oak based on the shape. Or my other guess would Lombard Poplar.

Whereas I am in complete agreement that we need better pictures, I am currently leaning towards the Quercus robur, 'Fastigiata'.

The tree in your picture looks like it was topped in the past, but the growth pattern and the retention of leaves could certainly be an English Oak.

Look forward to better pictures.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ST559

Sylvia

Do the leaves look like this?
If so Pin Oak; Quercus palustris fastigiata.
Pin Oaks hold their leaves as others have said. We Also don't have as many oaks as you so perhaps there are others hold their leaves aswell.

I would also say Quercus robur fastigiata. In a few area you can see a lobed leaf margin if you look closely

trying to tell from what the pics look like it looks like a ceder

I assume you mean Cedar. Cedrus sp are in the Pine family. This means they have needles, also Cedrus sp do not loose their leaves.
Cedar most be the most abused common name there is but I don't know any that look like oaks. Maybe if you could be a little more specific than "it looks like a ceder" sic
I agree with Texas Traveler it looks like a Pin Oak.

Back