What type of firewood do you cut??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
In your area, what are the main types of firewood you cut??? I myself get white and yellow birch, red/white oak, little ash, Beech is my fave. Even a little popple once in a while... I once in a while stumble on some locust or hard maple also... Just wondering, as far as areas go, what the most common types are. My brother in law cuts mostly firs up in alaska. How bout all you's in here eh? :popcorn: :confused:

Cheers eh?
Dude

Varies here form year to year. Last year we scavanged slash piles for bigleaf maple, madrone and doug fir. This year we are thinning the black and white oak groves here and cutting up any grand and doug that fir we are felling larger than 4 inches into firewood. Also cutting oak, ash and red alder snags for firewood. Most of what we have in the cord racks is red alder, black oak, and doug fir.

Mostly Ponderosa Pine and Jeffery Pine. A little bit of Oak (not much is available here).

I'm hoping to get some Pinyon Pine soon to try. I have heard good things about it.

I cut only one kind of wood here in NH......... FREE !!!! ALot of red oak, maples, ash,beech,white birch, even poplar. Really, any hardwood i can get my greedy little hands on.

Here outside of Buffalo NY we have all the hardwoods you could ask for

Red/White oak
Sugar Maple
Ash
Hickory
Beech
Ironwood
Apple
Black Cherry
Honey Locust

Right now I am burning a ton of Silver Maple from last years October storm alot of just small stuff to take the chill off

Storm

Here outside of Buffalo NY we have all the hardwoods you could ask for

Red/White oak
Sugar Maple
Ash
Hickory
Beech
Ironwood
Apple
Black Cherry
Honey Locust

Right now I am burning a ton of Silver Maple from last years October storm alot of just small stuff to take the chill off

Earlier this year we got a nasty little microburst that went through a small area here, we're still cutting up the wood... It did some aweful damage all over here. Knocked down barns, ripped roofs off etc... VERY strange for this area...:dizzy:

I don't have to do much cutting here where I live because there is a log yard about five minutes from my house. I get the end pieces that are mostly white and red oak, cherry and poplar. The size of these end pieces range from about 18 inches to almost 3 feet long. All I have to do is split the bigger ones to make them more manageable.

Red Oak, Pin Oak, Scarlet Oak, White Oak, Chestnut Oak (Rock Oak), Silver Maple, Red Maple, a little Sugar Maple, Beech, Black Birch, Green Ash, Some White Ash, Shagbark Hickory, Pignut/Mockernut Hickory, Black Cherry, and Black Gum.

There are probably a couple of others that aren't coming to mind right now.

We have lots of Aspen, Tulip Poplar, Black Walnut, and a little Black & Swamp Oak, but I haven't tried to burn any of those, yet.

Im lucky as not only do I not have to go out and find wood, but the local tree companys deliver it for free!

Its mostly Oak(red, white and pin), Maple, Lots of Ash, Locust, Hickory, Beech etc.

All I have to do is process it.:D

Last edited:
Very Blessed with great hardwoods here in Eastern Pennsylvania similiar to what PA Plumber had said. Ranges from Hickory, Oak, Ash, Cherry, Birch, Walnut, Mulberry, Maple, Apple, Dogwood, Poplar, Locust, Pear, Sycamore, Hawthorn and so on. I wish that ALL of you guys could be in an area that offers so much variety of hardwoods.

Now granted I don't get all this at once-whatever comes my way that's free I usually take! :laugh:

any

I will burn anything. But prefer Hickory.
I have maples, walnut,ash. white oak, red oak,elm,sassafras,
Right now I am heating with shortwood.. Cookies,, hundreds of em big ones little ones flat ones crooked ones.. I am referring to leftovers from the GTG
I know where I can drag a big Sickimore log up for the next GTG

Free firewood is what I try to cut.

Usually a mix of urban hardwoods - ash (lots - EAB!), red and white oak, maple (soft, hard), hickory, walnut. Not much beech, at least around here. I've come across a fair bit of box elder over the years (the fruti of urban "ghetto" removals), and more recently have scored some ornamentals and fruit tree stuff (redbud, dogwood, apple, mulberry). Nowadays I get my wood from freecycle, from friends, and from stuff I happen upon, since I don't have time to do any paid tree work anymore.

I've got an arrangement with a local tree trimmer guy to drop off stuff from his local trimming and removal work, but I have yet to see anything out of that deal. I even offered to accept reasonable quantities of pine, since I'll split some to keep and split the rest to freecycle to build up good karma.

new england speicies

oak,maple,hickory,ash,birch,cherry,beach,ironwood,poplar,boxalder, with the storm this spring we have enought down or leaning for the next 4 years.

Storm

oak,maple,hickory,ash,birch,cherry,beach,ironwood,poplar,boxalder, with the storm this spring we have enought down or leaning for the next 4 years.

I wonder if that's the same one that hit us over here??? :confused:

Very Blessed with great hardwoods here in Eastern Pennsylvania similiar to what PA Plumber had said. Ranges from Hickory, Oak, Ash, Cherry, Birch, Walnut, Mulberry, Maple, Apple, Dogwood, Poplar, Locust, Pear, Sycamore, Hawthorn and so on. I wish that ALL of you guys could be in an area that offers so much variety of hardwoods.

Now granted I don't get all this at once-whatever comes my way that's free I usually take! :laugh:

How does Sycamore burn?

Back