What was one mistake that you won't do again?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M.D. Vaden

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
I'll list more, but one mistake I won't make again, is to go out for an estimate with an address, but no phone number.

My wife took a call when I was out, not long ago, and someone asked for an estimate. They left the address, but no phone number.

I went to the property - a bit obscure - near the river by Portland and Lake Oswego, Oregon.

What happened, was that a landscaper or somebody, picked up one of my ads that had just been distributed, and set me up on a wild goose chase.

Now, I will not go and do an estimate unless I know the person, or have a number to call back and verify.

PUclimber

PUclimber

ArboristSite Operative
Work for a boss who doesn't follow ansi standards when it comes to safety. Always look into new things before i try them instead of just looking at new ideas and thinking oh that looks easy even though it's not the proper way or safe.

Doctor Dave

Doctor Dave

ArboristSite Operative
PUclimber said:
Work for a boss who doesn't follow ansi standards when it comes to safety. Always look into new things before i try them instead of just looking at new ideas and thinking oh that looks easy even though it's not the proper way or safe.

Took down a fir in pieces with only one wedge in my pocket. I needed the wedge for a 20 ft. middle section that swept in the wrong direction (the top 50 ft. didn't need one). I buried the wedge (later found out I had also angled my back cut just a little below the face) below a big chunk, and I had to climb down (sweating bullets) and felled the last 40 ft. from the base, narrowly missing a garage. Next time I'll bring more wedges (or trust that I'm good enough to miss something by 3 or 4 ft?).

John464

John464

Addicted to ArboristSite
cut my leg open and trimmed the meat on a finger. one handing is dangerous and I try my best not to do it anymore. the next time I may not be that lucky

ozy365

ozy365

ArboristSite Operative
A week ago I leaned over the bucket to tie some rigging. Long day...too tired. Couldn't reach the controls so I pulled on the rope to move bucket closer. I got a lot closer after my ribs seperated...no fracture, but still sore.

younggun

younggun

ArboristSite Operative
work for a guy who thinks your suposed to aim your face nocth the direction you DON'T want the tree to go!

Edit: forgot to add the list of destruction for the grand totle of fore houres i worked for him:1 truck cab, 1 fence, and 2 telephone lines.

Last edited:
M.D. Vaden

M.D. Vaden

vadenphotography.com
One time-eating mistake I don't do anymore, that I kicked myself for repeating a few times, was not making sure that all the tools are back. When I'm done, I typically do a count...

2 handsaws
2 chainsaws
2 hand pruners
2 rakes
Etc...

It's always a drag to make that trip back to get a tool. As a small outfit, even the small tools are important expenses.

And I will go back to avoid the second mistake, violating my policy of carrying two of everything.

That includes a spare spring for my Felco handpruners.

Manco

Manco

ArboristSite Operative
younggun said:
work for a guy who thinks your suposed to aim your face nocth the direction you DON'T want the tree to go!
That happens quite often with general public or homeowners. They stand at a safe distance to watch you fell a tree and start heading for cover when you make the first cut of the notch. Had a guy yesterday do the looking up walking backwards thing to get out of the way of my notch:hmm3grin2orange: After they realize its just a notch cut they casually move back to their original position like nothing happened.

treeseer

treeseer

Advocatus Pro Arbora
1. Having wine with lunch. That one cost me 7 months of rehab.

2. Faiing to use lanyard while limbwalking = 2 dislocated shouders (didn't learn first time) :monkey:

3. Grabbing dead limb when freeclimbing. Hit ground 1' away from an iron pipe.

I could go on, but :buttkick:

smokechase II

smokechase II

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yesterday

Cutting down a few dead Lodgepole near a historic cabin that has been recently superbly restored.

One was leaning toward the cabin and had three limbs hooking a neighboring live lodgepole.

Thought I could talk it over with a few well place wedges.

Everything came out OK. But I'll never cut a tree like that again without a rope in place. I beat a few wedges to the point where they straightened the tree well but the limbs wouldn't let go.

Hate to have to say this, but you arborist guys are right. Part of the time.

Latest posts