What was your 1st chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well the first saw i ever bought on my own was a 041 farmboss. i used dads untill they didn't run no more so i went and found the 041 farmboss for 75.00 bucks and put a carb kit and spark plug in it, ran it untill i had to fix my truck and i messed up and sold it to a other member and he loved it like i did. but now i got a other one and i got a few more parts to get and it will again be in the wood.

My first purchase was a Craftsman with an 18 inch bar in 2004/2005. I got to use it once and it was promptly stolen from me by some loser who was working on the renovation at my parents house. I turned around and bought my CS440 which I still have!

my first saw was.....

Frontier MK1 1973
it was red, no break and a button to press and oil the chain. Little wonder I have VWF after using this saw, I remember it making my ears hurt too, adding to my deafness :msp_mad:
If only we knew then what we know now, the good old days:bang:

Model Profile: MARK I

My first saw was an 028 AV Electronic Quickstop. Bought it used from a saw shop in Jamestown and used it for 15 years. I dropped a big pine on it.........in seeking parts and info to get it going again I found ArboristSite. It's been all downhill since. :(

A small yellowish green Skil brand saw. Not sure what model. Cut a lot of stuff with it. It didn't idle. I finally gave it to a friend and he wound up giving it to someone else. Who knows, it may still be out there cutting...

My first saw was a poulan s25 i used for climbing and a crapsman 3300 then i bought a used stihl 028av that was in 1989 in 1991 i wanted a new o28 and i bought the first new 026 in town for 349.95 a month later i bought a new 009l and a 038 magnum and a new oldstock pioneer 1074

Mine was a POS Homelite CS50 that Dad handed down to me. That thing seen more "air time" than cut time. Then Him & Mom got me a Husky 350 for Christmas one year (2000). That was a huge step up. At the time I thought it was the baddest saw a guy could ever own. Then came the 268 about three years ago. Found this site not long after & it's been down hill from there.

Poulan S25DA, top-handle SCREAMER w/14" b&c, 1977, from NEX NavAirSta NorVa. Never experienced a failure for the couple of years I owned it. Noise levels so high, I generally used ear plugs inside muffs. Without hearing protection, you'd be ringing like a bell.
"Pro" was up in a norway maple taking it down for a neighbor, and I was on the ground cutting up what he dropped. After about 15 minutes of that, he sent down a rope for me to attach the Poulan. Really sped up getting it down. (He ignored my calls to return my saw.) :msp_sneaky:

MS460 last year. Since then, I have added a DP muffler and Brad was kind enough to port it for me. Just a few more things I would like to do to it before I can call it done and move on to the next one.

22257c93.jpg

e67a81ee.jpg

a1560d82.jpg

Frontier MK1 1973
it was red, no break and a button to press and oil the chain. Little wonder I have VWF after using this saw, I remember it making my ears hurt too, adding to my deafness :msp_mad:
If only we knew then what we know now, the good old days:bang:

Model Profile: MARK I

I had the Johnsred version, 1/4 pitch. Mean little stink, left me a nice scare.
Don't forget shutting off when wet.

My first saw was a Husqvarna 41 also. Bought it new in 1986. I sold it to a friend of mine 10 years ago and he still uses it around his house. Great little saw.

Now, 10 years later and about 3 years of this forum, I have 12 saws. Still looking for an extra clean 038 Magnum to buy to complete my "Bucket List" of saws.

First saw I "owned" is the old Homlite I bought at a pawn shop in early '96. Dtill don't know what model it is. Used it to cut a butt load of firewood, until it sucked the reed valve into the crankcase. Went out and bought another Pawnshop saw, this time a Stihl 041 AV. still have it, and the Homlite, too. Made a new reed and backing plate out of similar thickness stainless steel, and it runs great!

Now I have the Homelite, the 041, a Homelite 650, Craftsman 18", Wildthing, and an 840 Mac gear drive with a 48" bar. Everything runs but the 650 and the 840...

Last edited:
Back