What wedges do you guys use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a photo of that 'custom chainsaw milled' wooden freebie wedge that did the job.

attachment.php

Ya' hit that one so hard you squeezed all the sap outta it! :D

Casey

Baileys

I've gone with Bailey's for all of mine. For under 50 bucks for 10, get as many as you can and beat the hell out of them. I use them for the felling cuts, but then tend to tap a few in for bucking on uneven ground. I've used orange for all, but the greens might be just a good for being seen.

Stihl and Oregon. That is what I can easily get locally. They work and are as inexpensive as what I have seen through the mail.

I'm tough on wedges, so I no longer buy the nice ones. Madsens usually has a huge bin of all kinds and sizes of wedges that have some cosmetic defect for cheap. So every time I go there I buy some more.

That way I can have a wide range of sizes. I mostly use them for blocking out big wood or taking down big stumps a cut layer at a time.

Yesterday I had my bag of wedges working pretty hard while I finished up a a few days of blocking big wood and a fair size stump. The final cut was 68 inches across, had my 50 inch bar working pretty hard. I forgot my camera, but I have the last slice (cut in two so I could get it to my trailer) so I might take a picture of the piece reassembled.

Wedges, a long pry bar and my 78 inch cant hook are all must haves!

Last edited:
Usual Oregon yellow and Stihl orange,
but in addition a 'High Lift Wedge' from the UK, has a replaceable wooden 'body' with an alloy tip and end ring...don't leave home without it!

I'm tough on wedges, so I no longer buy the nice ones. Madsens usually has a huge bin of all kinds and sizes of wedges that have some cosmetic defect for cheap. So every time I go there I buy some more.

That way I can have a wide range of sizes. I mostly use them for blocking out big wood or taking down big stumps a cut layer at a time.

Yesterday I had my bag of wedges working pretty hard while I finished up a a few days of blocking big wood and a fair size stump. The final cut was 68 inches across, had my 50 inch bar working pretty hard. I forgot my camera, but I have the last slice (cut in two so I could get it to my trailer) so I might take a picture of the piece reassembled.

Wedges, a long pry bar and my 78 inch cant hook are all must haves!

BT,

Yep, I've got a LogRite 78" Cant Hook, designed especially for homeowners. No 029/290 owner should be without one. :cheers:

Joat

I haven't bought a wedge in years. . . I will just pick up the ones the fallers left in the unit. If they are broke, take it to the belt sander. Fixed. Or maybe I'm that cheap? :clap:

Not 'cheap', but maybe: 'frugal', 'thrifty', 'resourceful' . . .

Like, if you are walking in the woods and you see a plastic wedge lying on the ground you are NOT going to pick it up? That would almost be like condoning littering!!!

And once you've picked it up, you're already emotionally attached to it. Are you going to throw it out because it's got some minor cosmetic defect that can be cleaned up on the belt sander? Wasteful!!!

You can always used the extras as door stops, to shimmy that wobbly table, spiltting frozen bagels, . . .

Philbert

I think that most in here know the real deal. You are going to beat the snot out of them. Get the cheapest you can find that work. If they are breaking, forget them, but if they work, use them till you can't anymore.

Are you bored Four Paws?
I like the red heads. They give the best lift of all the plastic wedges. They last longer with me using them. Maybe because they lift more, I don't have to hit them as much? Maybe because they are harder? Maybe they lift more because they are harder? Maybe, maybe I just like them better because they cost more.
I don't like the hard head wedges or the rifled wedges. The hard head wedges are OK for beginners learning how to wedge trees that do not have to carry them over bad ground in a wedge pouch. The rifled wedges are just irritating.

why is the rifled wedges not any good, Everyone i have heard talk about them don't like them. I thought about getiing some , but everyone says their bad then somethings got to be wrong with then.

The tips seem to break very easily on the rifled ones. Also, when the striking end gets smashed, they don't track worth a hoot. If you try to put them in on 90 degree angles, they are slicker than snot.

When brand new, they are kinda nice.
Brand new only lasts a few trees though.:(

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Ya' hit that one so hard you squeezed all the sap outta it! :D

Casey

Yah, I went back to the trees and shot a photo of the wedge a day later. The sap had gushed out of the stump by then. Bishop pines really ooze the sap. When I was bucking the tree up into rounds the smell of terpentine was really strong. I mean 'do not light a match' kind of strong.

Back