What Wood be Fair?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireaxman

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've spent a good part of my free time scrounging wood for the last 4 months and I've gathered up about 15 cords of Oak. I got about 5 cords split, but I am care giver for my 81 year old mother. She has Bone Cancer and Dementia.

Last month she started having little strokes that are leaving her more and more helpless, needing progressively more attention. Looks like the wood pile is going to have to wait.

Somebody wants my "Stash". I'm thinking of trading him the logs I have not yet bucked and split for a percentage of his finished product.

What wood be a fair trade? I'll let him buck and split the logs I have "Yarded" for a percentage of the finished, split and stacked, wood. He can use my 28 ton splitter on my property to do the work, but he'll have to provide his own saw.

Split, seasoned, delivered and stacked Oak is bringing $300.00 per cord here. My wood is for my own use, but what he keeps he will sell.

Good question, and after some thought, I reckon a fifty fifty split would seem fair.he is providing the labor to split and stack,no small feat there plus his saw. You are providing the wood and the splitter.

A lot depends on how hard wood is to come by there,but if you gave him a half a cord for each one he splits and it runs 300 bucks a cord then he would be making 150 bucks for splitting and stacking a cord of wood.If it takes him three hours to cut,split,and stack a cord, he is making fifty bucks an hour minus his saw expenses.Pretty decent wages.

From your side of the coin, you are getting a half of cord of wood split and stacked for free, minus your expense of getting the wood there and your splitter.I assume that you didnt have to pay anything for the logs to begin with?

I'll agree. I know there are some folks who do a 50 / 50 split and they are happy. Myself...... I wouldn't be interested in all the work for half the wood, but many do.

A buddy of mine had his property professionally logged last year and the loggers left the tops of the oak trees. He has offered to anyone interested a 2/1 split. Basically you can take 2 cords of wood and leave him one cut and split by his woodshed. I thought that was a pretty fair deal.

Somewhere between 1:1 and 2:1 would be fair. Another thing to consider: What would happen to the wood if you can't get to it this year? If it will rot away, then make the best deal you can and don't worry about it. If it would just sit and still be there for you next year, you don't have much incentive to make a deal, unless you don't have enough processed for this coming winter, in which case you could use the help.

Because you are providing the wood in a yarded area and the splitter, a 1:1 split seems closer to fair to me, as you have already done some of the work and are providing equipment. Also, 1:1 seems fair because he is selling it and does not need it for his own use. I presume you put a fair amount of time in gathering this wood, so you must value that time accordingly.

This calls for a GTG

Before you make any deal maybe a GTG is needed. Shouldn't take long for a bunch of AS'rs with their mean machines to reduce that pile to stacked wood. A couple of $$ for food/drink and you are set. The AS'rs have nothing better to do they can't go to the beach :cry:

Brian

I did not have to pay any money for the wood, but I had to work pretty hard for it. I have good working relationships with several professional arborists. They cut, I haul, or I help them cut and haul for "Free" and I get the wood. Whenever I hear a chain saw running somewhere I go see whats going on, and if its a good tree I offer to haul it off for them. Saves them dump fees and hauling time, keeps me in firewood. Costs me some time, gas for the truck, diesel for my tractor, and the inevitable equipment damage (broke the loading ramp off my trailer last month).

The wood could sit on my property for a couple months, but the Long Horn Beetles and termites get in to it pretty quick unless I can break it up at least enough to get the bark off it. By about January 2011 the sapwood will be getting pretty pithy. Wonderful, warm, humid Southeast Luisiana summers get to it pretty quick. Another good reason to go ahead and move it out is to keep my working relationship with my suppliers. I need to make room for more wood, so I can continue to help them with their disposal problems.

Thanks for the answers. Sounds like somewhere between a third and a half. I can afford to be generous, since I will have more wood coming in and since I only need 5 more cords split, stacked, and dry for next winter. I'll offer him 2/3 for the splitting and stacking. $50 and hour sounds like a dad burned fine wage to me, although I know he will also be out some time and gas to deliver to his customers. There is a ready market, so he should do well.

Before you make any deal maybe a GTG is needed. Shouldn't take long for a bunch of AS'rs with their mean machines to reduce that pile to stacked wood. A couple of $$ for food/drink and you are set. The AS'rs have nothing better to do they can't go to the beach :cry:

Brian

Thanks for the suggestion, Brian. But this guy also needs the work. If I can help a man make an honest living, that will feel good too.

I did not have to pay any money for the wood, but I had to work pretty hard for it. I have good working relationships with several professional arborists. They cut, I haul, or I help them cut and haul for "Free" and I get the wood. Whenever I hear a chain saw running somewhere I go see whats going on, and if its a good tree I offer to haul it off for them. Saves them dump fees and hauling time, keeps me in firewood. Costs me some time, gas for the truck, diesel for my tractor, and the inevitable equipment damage (broke the loading ramp off my trailer last month).

The wood could sit on my property for a couple months, but the Long Horn Beetles and termites get in to it pretty quick unless I can break it up at least enough to get the bark off it. By about January 2011 the sapwood will be getting pretty pithy. Wonderful, warm, humid Southeast Luisiana summers get to it pretty quick. Another good reason to go ahead and move it out is to keep my working relationship with my suppliers. I need to make room for more wood, so I can continue to help them with their disposal problems.

Thanks for the answers. Sounds like somewhere between a third and a half. I can afford to be generous, since I will have more wood coming in and since I only need 5 more cords split, stacked, and dry for next winter. I'll offer him 2/3 for the splitting and stacking. $50 and hour sounds like a dad burned fine wage to me, although I know he will also be out some time and gas to deliver to his customers. There is a ready market, so he should do well.

I think 2/3 is fair. He has quite a bit of work to do for it.

considering how much involvement you have already had in the process, and considering you will be letting him use your splitter, 50/50 isnt to unreasonable.

If it was my wood I would probably go for 1:1. For logs that are already hauled and stacked and using your splitter 2:1 sounds a little rich. Have you asked him what he thinks is fair? You should both be able to come out of this happy.

considering how much involvement you have already had in the process, and considering you will be letting him use your splitter, 50/50 isnt to unreasonable.

I agree and then he gets to use your splitter. I would split fuel cost 50/50 also. You might help him out by letting him have the straight even pieces that stack well and taking knotty and short pieces off the ends. Knotty wood holds a fire better anyway. If you can afford to be generous and give him more, that could be a good option though.
If I was going out to the woods to gather the wood it would be much differant, don't think I could have a reasonable profit sharing 1/3, as a matter of fact I done it a long time ago. Might be alright to get your own wood, but selling wood I like to make more then $2 an hour.

If it was my wood I would probably go for 1:1. For logs that are already hauled and stacked and using your splitter 2:1 sounds a little rich. Have you asked him what he thinks is fair? You should both be able to come out of this happy.

I have not asked him yet. Kind of wanted to get my mind around it first, and the advice I have gotten here has helped. He is coming Monday morning to look at the wood and work out a "Deal".

Also trying to think what I wood want if the shoe was on the other foot. In good concience I will not offer him a deal I would not be willing to take if the roles were reversed. While I was cutting with a homey XL and splitting by ax wedge and maul, I would have jumped at the chance for a 50/50 split using someone's hydro. Now that I have a nice splitter and a 460, and a good source of raw material, I wouldn't mess with someone elses wood except to help them out.

This guy has his own splitter and 440. I'm just going to let him use my splitter to save him transport, and mine is a little better (H/V, his is Horizontal only, and some of this is big wood). But he doesn't have any raw material, and no room to yard it. Also, he needs the bucks. I've got a comfortable pension.

I'll ask him what he thinks is fair before I tell him my minimum, but after what I am hearing here my minimum is 1/3. If he tries to get me under 1/3 I'll give someone else a shot at it. There are several other candidates available. Even a couple of AS'ers between here and Lafayette, but this guy asked me first.

I've cut with others on shares before. In your situation, 50/50 seems more than fair, and it seems like you're willing to go with this, so have at it and everyone wins.

I have ranged from 1/3-2/3 for a guy who owned the land, helped cut and split, and supplied hit tractor to run the splitter, to 3/4-1/4 cutting on my land with all my equipment, and the partner supplying only labor. In these cases, it was agreed on in advance, and everyone was happy. Make sure everyone knows the deal and is in agreement with it before any cutting starts, and you will do fine.

Rep sent to ya.

I've cut with others on shares before. In your situation, 50/50 seems more than fair...

I have ranged from 1/3-2/3 for a guy who owned the land, helped cut and split, and supplied hit tractor to run the splitter...

In these cases, it was agreed on in advance, and everyone was happy. Make sure everyone knows the deal and is in agreement with it before any cutting starts, and you will do fine. ...

Thank's, Steve, that pretty well describes the situation. My land, my wood, my splitter, my tractor. Mr. W. came by right on time this morning. We agreed on 1/3 for me, 2/3 for him, and he was glad to get it. We used my tractor to pull a few logs out of the pile to get him started, and he is happily at work right now as I sit here with mom.

I dont know. Looks like maybe I would have had a chance to get to it myself the way things are going right now. Mom took a turn for the worse. Quit eating, losing weight real fast, drinking very little. Only God knows, but right now I will be surprised if she makes it for more than a few days.

But Willie needs the money, I'll have plenty of wood for next winter, and I can stay close to mom for the end. No regrets.

Props to you for being a good son!

Your mom I am sure appreciates you being there for her.

Back