What woodstove do you have?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodstove

I dont have any pictures, but I am currently using an ashley airtight in the garage. This stove was used in the maryland area in a lot of old tobacco stripping rooms. It is the second one I have come across in the last fifteen years, and I was wondering if they still made them.:

Johnson Energy Systems 7900. It was a scratch and dent special from Quality Farm and Fleet back in the late 1980s. It is a smaller whole house furnace that is piped into the cold air side of our forced air fuel oil furnace.

My thinking now is to find a "reasonable" OWB so I no longer need to tote wood down the basement stairs.

Why Split Wood for Heat ?

I have a Central Boiler outdoor unit. I split nothing yes nothing never. My unit has a 2' wide by 3' high door, and the bigger pieces I can get in this inferno the longer the burn time. This heater does my heat,hot water,heats the pool,and you can even hook it up to dry clothes in your dryer. I load the heater about every 4 days in the average winter cold but when it hits single digits its every 2 days. In the summer I divert the water from heating my indoor boiler tank and in the summer if only using the hot water a full loaded heater last 15 to 20 days.
But on the other hand I really miss the sore knees and the splinters from spliting and not to mention the dry throat waking up in the morning and how can I forget the ash pan trips when opening the door and the wind blowing it all through the house. But the bark and the critters that come into the house was really a sweet thing. I miss shooting those 1 inch wolf spiders with my pellet gun while watching TV.

Ask me theres a better way !:bang:

But on the other hand I really miss the sore knees and the splinters from spliting and not to mention the dry throat waking up in the morning and how can I forget the ash pan trips when opening the door and the wind blowing it all through the house. But the bark and the critters that come into the house was really a sweet thing. I miss shooting those 1 inch wolf spiders with my pellet gun while watching TV.

Ask me theres a better way !:bang:

Sore knees?: Mine are sore but it's from my "active youth" not splitting wood. 'Bend at the knees with ease...'

Splinters: gloves

Dry throat: Kettle of water or humidifier.

Ashes: Mine produces little, maybe two dumpings, Pick a less windy day.

Spiders & guns: Well that just made me start hearing banjos and seeing images of the Clampetts!

WELCOME TO AS!!!

Some people have answers for everything !

Sore knees?: Mine are sore but it's from my "active youth" not splitting wood. 'Bend at the knees with ease...'

Spiders & guns: Well that just made me start hearing banjos and seeing images of the Clampetts!

The sore knees were from splitting 40+ inch oak slabs into managable size pieces with a 31 ton vertical splitter with my knees pounded into the ground. My knees bend fine, even with 1400 lbs on the incline leg press for 10 solid rep's at the gym.
Gloves are good but sometimes get in the way, but I can understand why some men with alot of time on their hands watering the heater and watching the Beverly Hillbillys would want to keep their hands soft for other things. How much heat can be created by only empting only 2 times a heating season? maybe in Florida I guess

The easiest way of all would be to fill the fuel oil tank and help out the Arabs I guess.

Jed:cheers:

The sore knees were from splitting 40+ inch oak slabs into managable size pieces with a 31 ton vertical splitter with my knees pounded into the ground. My knees bend fine, even with 1400 lbs on the incline leg press for 10 solid rep's at the gym.
Gloves are good but sometimes get in the way, but I can understand why some men with alot of time on their hands watering the heater and watching the Beverly Hillbillys would want to keep their hands soft for other things. How much heat can be created by only empting only 2 times a heating season? maybe in Florida I guess

The easiest way of all would be to fill the fuel oil tank and help out the Arabs I guess.

Jed:cheers:

Jed...heh, heh!

No Jed here.

Perhaps you are right. I see you feel strongly about your heater. But do you feel you have made a case to all the stove and FP burners to junk their old fashioned methods of heating in a "what WOODSTOVE do you have" thread?

Joint damage: I can admit that I can't give you an honest 10 reps at 1400lbs like you :lifter: because my time in the gym was centered around "girly" "softhanded" kickboxing not just looking purty. Hence, joint damage. But being one of the quiet ones there I liked the tuff mouthy guys more than any sparring partner...esp the new guys. I don't roll around heavy with the boys anymore but I manage to keep limber by splittin' wood and staying active.

Everything I said to you was to illustrate a point or two. You have a valid point in the wrong thread (psssst, do a search for OWB)

Anything else???????

Fireplace & Woodstove

Jed...heh, heh!

No Jed here.

Perhaps you are right. I see you feel strongly about your heater. But do you feel you have made a case to all the stove and FP burners to junk their old fashioned methods of heating in a "what WOODSTOVE do you have" thread?

Joint damage: I can admit that I can't give you an honest 10 reps at 1400lbs like you :lifter: because my time in the gym was centered around "girly" "softhanded" kickboxing not just looking purty. Hence, joint damage. But being one of the quiet ones there I liked the tuff mouthy guys more than any sparring partner...esp the new guys. I don't roll around heavy with the boys anymore but I manage to keep limber by splittin' wood and staying active.

Everything I said to you was to illustrate a point or two. You have a valid point in the wrong thread (psssst, do a search for OWB)

Anything else???????
:jawdrop: No need to get defensive ! I have 2 fireplaces and 1 woodstove and I enjoy a good fire through the glass doors. I just was trying to make a point that if your burning wood for heat that the OWB is the way to go. I lift at the gym for strength to hit the softball not to look Purdy:jester: If my house didn't burn 300 gallons of fuel oil a month I would have been fine with my fireplaces and woodstove. I am just a poor Aerospace Engineer. Take it easy Livewire

:jawdrop: No need to get defensive ! I have 2 fireplaces and 1 woodstove and I enjoy a good fire through the glass doors. I just was trying to make a point that if your burning wood for heat that the OWB is the way to go. I lift at the gym for strength to hit the softball not to look Purdy:jester: If my house didn't burn 300 gallons of fuel oil a month I would have been fine with my fireplaces and woodstove. I am just a poor Aerospace Engineer. Take it easy Livewire

I do that but no harm no foul!!! Hell I even repped ya for your first post!

Keep posting and, again, welcome aboard!!!!

A Great Glass & Chain Cleaner>

I use Wurth Liquid Pitch and Resin Remover, which we use at work to remove pitch and resin from saw blades and planer knives. It's pricey and may not be easy to find, but works well on the creosote build up on the glass insert. You could also try oven cleaner. Be careful and read the label. Some brands will etch the glass. Try a small area in the corner of the glass.

I normally clean my glass doors with oven cleaner.
The other day I went to the dollar store to look for
my wifes birthday present. I purchased this bottle
of greased lightning. This stuff is INCREDIBLE.
I've never seen anything like it.
Spray on the glass doors, but, make sure you have
some newspaper beneath the doors to catch the drips.
Just spray on and let it drip off.
Clean up with paper towels.
It is also an AWESOME chain cleaner.
About $3.00 for 40 oz.
Found in most home improvement stores.

This has been the first winter I used my Pacific Energy fireplace insert. I have been very pleased. I would say it cut my oil consumption in half, even though I only burn about 8 hours a day. Just took a delivery of oil; used only 256 gallons during an almost 3-month period. Should also note that the winter has been mild and had a new furnance installed too. But still very pleased.

I normally clean my glass doors with oven cleaner.
The other day I went to the dollar store to look for my wifes birthday resent. I purchased this bottle of greased lightning. This stuff is INCREDIBLE. I've never seen anything like it. Spray on the glass doors, but, make sure you have some newspaper beneath the doors to catch the drips. Just spray on and let it drip off. Clean up with paper towels. It is also an AWESOME chain cleaner. About $3.00 for 40 oz. Found in most home improvement stores.

Forget that noise. I read on this site about a much easier way that works like a charm. After your fire is burnt out and there is nice cold ash in your stove simply soak a piece of newspaper in warm water, dip into ash (again, cold ash!), then wipe away creosote. Trust me, it works!

Then you can use the same piece of newspaper to help you start your next fire. I am a fan of anything that prevents me from having to use chemicals. Easy.

CHECKPHOTOS101.jpg
no fuel like an old fuel:blob2:

My 1st stove was an efel like the initiating post. Around l975. Since then I ve had, in 3 different houses, a Morso 1125, Two Vt. Castings Resolutes and currently have a Vt Castings winterwarm (the larger of the 2 ) insert. Was hugely disappointed w it s out put. Burns too fast and no where to damper down in back. Wish I had put in free standing. Have 4 days now of burning the Clayton 1600add on furnace. I put in my basement. It s 20 ish and we got a constant 71 all day and night. I m thrilled to death w it. We put a humidifier on it. I m in heaven. Question: Can vcstgs insert be dampened by restricting flow at chimney exit? About imposs to put one behind stove.

Latest posts

Back