What woodstove do you have?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHECKPHOTOS101.jpg
no fuel like an old fuel:blob2:

Nice picture. Reminds me of the old saw shop my dad and I used to go to when I was 8 years old or so.

Positive Rep for a good old memory. Thanks for posting.

Morso 3610

8-10 hour burns easy
It is a little big for our 1800+ sq foot cape in SE Massachusetts but once we do an addition ..........................................:rock:

Nice looking stove. Morso has been around for a long, long time if I remember correctly.

Thanks, thats why we went with it, plain and fancy

Morso and Jotul both claim to be the first
1853 I think.

Water and vinegar clean the glass better than anything, if the wood was punky or a little wet, put some ash on the newspaper

Johnson Energy Systems 7900. It was a scratch and dent special from Quality Farm and Fleet back in the late 1980s. It is a smaller whole house furnace that is piped into the cold air side of our forced air fuel oil furnace.

I just bought a house with a Johnson Energy System 7900. Do you have any additional info on it? It's my first woodburner of any sort, other than the parent's fireplace. It's got a blower on the back. Hey, I live in Ohio, too! :)

Got an Amishman coming to look at it tomorrow. Maybe he can give me some more info.

:dizzy:

BlazeKing, King Model.

Heats a 1800 sq. foot 2.5 story off grid house, it's the only heat source, uses 2 cords +/- so far per Canadian winter, lives in basement. It was the best of the stoves that I looked at in my region. Considered a Pacific Energy Summit from a local dealer, but the BlazeKing just had way better features IMO. Nicest features are: big easy access firebox, LOW and Deep firebox 6-8" below the door = no logs or ashes roll out, and so clean and easy to load. Also, long efficient burn times with high heat output, less lost up the chimney and less wood used and so less loading, and when used properly it has very low emissions. Heavy steel construction and very well built. Easy to use, excellent temperature control and to clean out ashes. We also cook something on it every day.

Our valley gets choked with so much polluting smoke from too many dirty woodstoves and furnaces. I try not to add to the air pollution by using a clean burning stove and making it work that way.

www.blazeking.com

I have a Royall indoor boiler model #6526. I think it holds about 35 gallons of water, plus I heat all my hot water with it. Keeps the house nice and warm!!

Intrepid II

This stove heats my 1200sf ranch perfectly about 4 hours at a time
with 3-4" slpits of maple.

northstar

i bought a heat n glo northstar last year. it is in my living room with a 29 ft ceiling. could be 10 degrees outside and i can still keep it to 85 in the house. also has two separate heat zones which i have going to a finished basement. i find the basement zones don't work as well when it is really cold out but i get more heat than i need on the first floor. i pretty much let it burn all the time. i have to stop it once a week to empty ashes

Hardy H2

Getting ready to hook up a used (family) Hardy H2. We pulled the water lines this weekend, still have to insert the water to air heat exchanger in the duct work, AIC water to water heat exchanger for the domestic water, electric, and thermostat... getting so close...

stove_400.jpg

iCreek
Mid-Missouri

Pacific Energy

Its one of the larger ones and probably a bit over-kill for this cabin (-700sq ft) but as an airtight it works well, I replace the door gaskets once a year and keep the chimney clean. Its sizes allows me to burn up to 20" pieces which is a bonus as I keep the over sized stuff from the woodlot. With fir I manage an average 5hr+ burn, usually up at 3am to stoke it. My place, though well insulated, is old and drafty but I keep it toasty :)
Been a really good stove.

:cheers:

Serge

Last edited:
Another Lopi fan here, bought an Endeavor last year and love it. Heats a 2000 square foot ranch evenly with the ceiling fan running and it's easy on the wood pile. With seasoned wood the glass stays clean except for the occasional all night burn. Even then it cleans up within an hour of burning the next day.

Its one of the larger ones and probably a bit over-kill for this cabin (-700sq ft) but as an airtight it works well, I replace the door gaskets once a year and keep the chimney clean. Its sizes allows me to burn up to 20" pieces which is a bonus as I keep the over sized stuff from the woodlot. With fir I manage an average 5hr+ burn, usually up at 3am to stoke it. My place, though well insulated, is old and drafty but I keep it toasty :)
Been a really good stove.

Serge

No offence, but a 5 hr burn with 20" fir logs seems awfully short to me unless the stove is burning as hot as possible, which should not be required for a 700sq. ft space, should it? That type of wood stove performance to me is very poor and just would not work for our winters.

With my BlazeKing, I EASILY get 12 hours from burning 3 x 8+/-" splits about 16" in length on average. Also, there is NO WAY that I'd want to get up at 3 am to stoke a fire for a 700 sq. ft cabin, nor any house. My house is 1800 sq. ft., 3 levels and I've never gotten up in the middle of the night to attend the stove whether burning fir or pine or even cedar and I don't fill it to it's max either, but usually just 3 splits about 8" across and 16" long. Even on the coldest winter nights, around -25 F (-30 to -35 C), I've never had to get up to refill the stove, I'd just fill it more on the colder nights so as to burn a bit hotter, plus I'd use birch, which lasts.

Sorry but I wonder if there is something wrong with your stove's performance, or your house really is extremely drafty?

No offence, but a 5 hr burn with 20" fir logs seems awfully short to me unless the stove is burning as hot as possible, which should not be required for a 700sq. ft space, should it? That type of wood stove performance to me is very poor and just would not work for our winters.

With my BlazeKing, I EASILY get 12 hours from burning 3 x 8+/-" splits about 16" in length on average. Also, there is NO WAY that I'd want to get up at 3 am to stoke a fire for a 700 sq. ft cabin, nor any house. My house is 1800 sq. ft., 3 levels and I've never gotten up in the middle of the night to attend the stove whether burning fir or pine or even cedar and I don't fill it to it's max either, but usually just 3 splits about 8" across and 16" long. Even on the coldest winter nights, around -25 F (-30 to -35 C), I've never had to get up to refill the stove, I'd just fill it more on the colder nights so as to burn a bit hotter, plus I'd use birch, which lasts.

Sorry but I wonder if there is something wrong with your stove's performance, or your house really is extremely drafty?

Sound like you have a catalytic stove and he doesn't.

Stove works fine, if I burn more'n 1 piece atta time I'd have all the doors and windows open, and yup, its perty drafty old beast of a cabin (mostly single glaze windows etc.) :D I don't mind gettin' up at three, then I can come on here for an hour or so and bug you guys :p If I load it right up I'll get 8-10 to coals, but it gets way too hot for this climate usually.

Thanks Sprig, that makes more sense as I'd expect more than 1 log to be pretty warm for that small space.

FWIW, my stove is a cat stove.

Back