what would be a $100 load of wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
branchbuzzer

branchbuzzer

Undiagnosed
1. A whole bunch of dudes with chainsaws out of work.
2. Saw logs going for 1/2 what they used to a few years ago.
3. Every schmo with one pile of wood trying to get rid of it for gas/food/cigarette/Lortab money before their unemployment/disability/SSI check comes in on the 1st of the month
4. High wind storm bringing down tons of trees.

Equals

One full dump truck seasoned oak for $100, one short bed P/U $30-40.

I'm thinking of hauling oak up to NY, it'd go for more even paying the gas.

Walt41

Walt41

Addicted to ArboristSite
1. A whole bunch of dudes with chainsaws out of work.
2. Saw logs going for 1/2 what they used to a few years ago.
3. Every schmo with one pile of wood trying to get rid of it for gas/food/cigarette/Lortab money before their unemployment/disability/SSI check comes in on the 1st of the month
4. High wind storm bringing down tons of trees.

Equals

One full dump truck seasoned oak for $100, one short bed P/U $30-40.

I'm thinking of hauling oak up to NY, it'd go for more even paying the gas.

I'm in NY and see several ads for face cords delivered for $45.00, highest I've seen in recent history was seasoned cherry for $100.00 a face cord delivered.
Seems like every Jack bag with a truck and alot of county workers are selling wood in my area. I'm sitting on a ton of seasoned Oak, waiting for prices to stabilize, looks like it will be awhile.

HeX0rz

HeX0rz

ArboristSite Operative
I currently 'am selling cordwood for $100. Granted, the species are a lower quality. It doesn't really rake in much profit for the amount of work I'm doing, but its something.

$100 a cord of a mix of pine, spruce, poplar, a couple pieces of birch and tamarack here and there all cut to 16" long and split.

In my area, there is an abundance of the the good higher btu wood. Tamarack, birch, fir, vinemaple, and alder.

I have sold 6 cord of it so far and have a buttload more of it. Gonna have to sell the rest of it for $80 though as I have not gotten it stacked. I usually charge for stacking and delivery. $25 to stack per cord and delivery is dependant on distance.

People have pose much interest in the wood because it is cheaper and I offer it in $30 loads. Helps me get rid of the crap and helps them afford a way to heat there house for a while....

I can definitely agree on that firewood is hard to make a profit on, but if you can find a way to move large volumes of it efficiently, the less the overhead. I need to get my name out there with my firewood, and I tell my customers that I want them to be happy and if they have any problems call me.

Next year, I will be selling cords of wood of the GOOD STUFF for about $130.

Alaskat

Alaskat

ArboristSite Member
The prices suprise me, here forty miles from Anchorage in the Valley split spruce I get $ 200 a cord plus del. which is $60. to Anchorage. Birch fetches $275 to $300 a cord. The spruce I sell is beetle kill so its ready to burn.

branchbuzzer

branchbuzzer

Undiagnosed
Today here in NE TN, I noticed parked by the side of the road an extra $20 on top of that $100 would have got you a 10' x 6' x 2' slightly heaped trailer ( pretty close to a whole cord ) full of black locust.

This made me feel a little better on the way home after delivering a $50 short bed load of all red oak, thinking I was just about giving it away for free.

Last edited:
giXXer

giXXer

ArboristSite Operative
Amazing the range of prices across the U.S. I have noticed that the extremely high unemployment rate and extremely bad economy have really driven down the price of firewood in our area. Most common amount sold is 1/3 cord and they are going from $40-$60. I could easily get 2/3 cord delivered and stacked for $100. I know from experience that this will not be the case in January. The guys selling pick-up truck loads for $40 will be out of wood or selling the stuff they just cut which shouldn't be sold until the next year.

To answer your question, judging from the range of prices in the posts here, a 1/2 to 2/3 cord of split, seasoned, hardwood sounds about right for $100..

branchbuzzer

branchbuzzer

Undiagnosed
Amazing the range of prices across the U.S. I have noticed that the extremely high unemployment rate and extremely bad economy have really driven down the price of firewood in our area.

Plus, they can sell it without screwing up their unemployment benefits ( which nowadays are unlimited in duration it seems ) which makes it all the more attractive as a source of income.

bobt

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a hard time criticizing anybody who is experiencing hard times and tries to make a dollar any way they can. I know they are undercutting the price of firewood, but hard times breed drastic measures. If someone is willing to work hard for a pickup load of wood and is willing to sell it cheaply,,,,well the more power to 'em.

The price is determined by whatever the market will bear. If the demand is there and someone is willing to supply the demand,,,well so be it. That has always been the American way. I can't see the gubberment putting up price supports for the firewood market.

banshee67

banshee67

Poulan Wild Thang
if people know you have good wood, and know anything about wood, they will have no problem paying more money than the other guys on craigslist are selling for.

my friend is advertising for $40 more per cord than some other people in this one area, his ad is right next to other ads on craigdlist listed in the same town for cheaper, yet people still call him for wood. not everyone is an idiot, some people realize you get what you pay for , for the most part

i have sold cords of green/unseasoned black locust in the spring/summer for 180- $200 , thats GREEN wood, because the people buying it actually know what it is, and call back for more, even though they can call the guy under me for $120 a cord for green wood, why would they want 3/4 of a cord of poplar and rotting maple? not all people are too cheap for their own good, thepeople that are, usually find out the hard way

Last edited:
subhunter

subhunter

ArboristSite Guru
Well to me it would depend on how well you like the neighbor. I actually had a guy call me monday night that has bought wood from me for the past three years. When he bought the first year it turned out I was good friends with his daughter in high school. (Long story short) He says man its been a kinda hard year etc,etc how much wood can I get for a 100. I said I would make him a good load up. He has a big furnace and After I put 3/4 a cord on the trailer I throwed the pile of long splits and the narley ones on as well. WHen we stacked it up yesterday afternoon it ended up being just over a cord of wood.
HE was tickled pink ;)

indiansprings

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
In our wood business he would get a full cord of wood, equaling 128 cu ft.
If he wanted 16" wood he would get three ricks 16" wide 8 feet long and about 52" high and we always want our customers to know they are getting their monies worth and be repeat customers year after year.

bobt

Addicted to ArboristSite
In our wood business he would get a full cord of wood, equaling 128 cu ft.
If he wanted 16" wood he would get three ricks 16" wide 8 feet long and about 52" high and we always want our customers to know they are getting their monies worth and be repeat customers year after year.

Yep, give them their money's worth and a little extra (52" high).

Good business sense on your part. They have no reason to go to another provider as long as your price is in the ballpark.

branchbuzzer

branchbuzzer

Undiagnosed
The price is determined by whatever the market will bear. If the demand is there and someone is willing to supply the demand,,,well so be it. That has always been the American way.

It sure is and I agree. The nice thing about selling AND burning firewood is that you're never really forced to sell. I may sell some for cheap just to get some quick dough, but it's always MY decision.

One thing that can put a floor under the price is the fact that electricity, oil, nat gas etc. prices are still what they were. Firewood is a commodity just like the other heating sources and they tend to move in relation to each other ( i.e. there's only so low that, say, nat gas can drop without the price of oil dropping too ). Wood might take a lot longer to stabilize, but the cheaper that it is compared to other heating sources, the more demand for it picks up.

Ambull

Ambull

OCD Muscle Saw Collector
Around here

1/2 cord of seasoned hardwood CSD is going for $100 from the legit sellers. Price will increase in the next few months as supply dwindles.

For $140 to $160 the hacks will bring you a cord of supposedly seasoned wood with green leaves attached, that stacks out to between 1/2 to 3/4 cord.

Take Care

LMAO you got that right Swamper.

Latest posts