what would u rather cut in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacknightwolf

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I like many have ran out of good wood this spring. snow finaly melted off and been out trying to gather some fire wood.. I run famall 350 tractor . would guess kinda heavy. seams like every place I try to go spend more time getting unstuck. would certainly think i would rather cut in the snow than this mud. at any rate I am sure I will harvest enough so I will not run out this comeing season!!! Lesson learned.

I like 15-20 degrees the best... Without heavy winds though. Not much of a chance getting stuck in mud or wet. Generally dress warm and keeping busy doesn't let your body notice the cold much. I hate sweating my butt off.

I Hate sweating when i cut. It keeps you distracted from your work. Saws also run better when it cold out. And cools better

Sent from me to you using my fingers

Summer, I do not like winter.

Due to the massive amounts of snow you get.

You're just pissed you can't drive the bike every day.

I have to cut in the summer. I'd rather cut in the winter but there's usually just too much snow.

Late fall works for me. Except the scrounge is the best in the spring. Of course.

Late fall, winter, early spring. Crops go in the farm fields, the bikes come out, and the saws get to rest. It's nicer cutting with no weeds, bugs, snakes, and sweat.

I am just about ready to start cutting again. Winter just too nasty here and the ground doesnt freeze. Trying to go A to B just leaves hugemongous ruts. I would *like* to cut in the winter, just isnt practical. Sometimes I walk in and fell trees, but didnt this winter, although I did drag a ton of heavy branches around to go get later, propped them up off the ground here and there. Also scoped out all the next trees on the to be cut list.

Late fall, winter and early spring here, too. The skidsteer takes care of the snow issues very nicely. I hate bugs, woodticks, bees(allergic reaction to stings), thorns, heat and humugity, and all the other evil things associated with summer cutting.

Not to mention I am laid off in winter time. That helps decide when to cut too.

Ted

I would rather cut in the cold and no sunshine. Here lately, I have been doing more cutting in the summertime than usual just because we have wood brought to our place and I like to keep it cleaned up. I don't care to sweat much while cutting firewood.

I cut all times of the year as long as the temps and winds are not too extreme. The mud stops me for hauling, but I will cut a bunch to be gathered later. I also have a growing stack in the woods to dry out for year after next to work on as well. Hoodie weather is my favorite temp though, just cool enough to not sweat too much, but warm enough you can go with out bulky gloves and too many clothes. Bugs in the summer suck too.

Last edited:
I do not, will not go firewood harvesting in June, July and August... any of the other months I'm game.
Mud is the worst and I avoid working in it whenever I can... I hate having my boots loaded with it, I hate having equipment full of it, and I really hate firewood coated with it.
As far as the getting stuck/unstuck thing... well... I run bias ply tires and... :smile-big:

Back