what would u rather cut in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anytime after the second hard frost and as long as I can get in to the woods. Don't like to cut is the late spring because of the mud. In the early part of the summer we might drop a bunch of trees but we won't touch them until later in the fall. Once the leaves are on the trees, I'm done... unless I'm making more trails or shooting lanes.

I sweat when I visit this forum and see a picture of a chain saw:msp_ohmy:

Right now is prime time for cutting around here. Bright sunshine (mostly), breezy out of the NW, dry air, cool temps. , just right for working without a North Pole wardrobe but cool enough to avoid major heatstroke;)

In fact, the moon is so bright right now if I wasn't ready for a nap I believe tonight would be a really good time:D

Sweatin's good for ya, Guess you hafta live down south in the heat to appreciate summer. Cut some last year in 107 degree heat. Now that was kinda hot. Had to drink plenty of Gatorade and water. I'd much rather be sweating with a t shirt on than sweating with a coat on. Then when you take the coat off you really get cold cause you're wet.

and no Blazin, i wear thick pantys to keep the vagina warm.:hmm3grin2orange:

Id rather it be dry. And not over 28 degrees celcius.

Cutting in the rain sucks.... As does trying to drag a ton of wood out uphill in the rain.

Also don't cut on high fire risk days.... That's about it.

Having been stuck a few times I sympathize with the OP...but winter logging does have it's appeal with its naked vegetation.

Ideally if you can make it out when the ground is frozen harvesting is smoother. Otherwise when trees are dormant and dry we mostly cut and harvest logs to a staging area where it's convenient to process into firewood.. at whatever time it suits me. When you just take logs out it saves on the trips and the haul road holds up longer.

I'd just rather cut on a flat dry cleared ground...easier on the knees and other joints.

Cable pulley's can pretty easily get a small CUT out of trouble ...if you don't make it worse and bury yourself.

Spring, early summer, fall. Usually do my cutting and splitting in the spring...haul and stack in the summer, finish up in the fall. Don't care to fight the snow during the winter usually too darn much to get around. Goal always is to be done by end of Sept. so October and November are free for bowhunting.

I cut wood for the winter. That's when I use it and keep my fanny in the house. Not completely, I have some chickens I have to look after. I guess I'm the only one on here that looks at sweating as a good cleansing of the skin. All I need is plenty of cold water and I'm good to go. And no I don't wear my overhalls till they stand up in the corner on their own. I hate those white sweat line in my clothes too. ;)

I like to cut in the fall when it's cooler and the bugs are gone. The only problem is that the wood doesn't have time to season. It is a good time to get wood for next year though. :D

Cool weather for this ol' dog. I don't mind a good sweat but too much is a distraction.

First year I was cutting I dropped a couple gums in July. A heat wave set in and they lay on the ground for a month. It was just too hot and miserable out there to buck 'em up. Well, the termites found 'em and got to work. I stepped in a yellowjacket nest while dropping a nice maple that year, too. Ain't gonna happen again, I can tell yas that. :D

The woods is muddy in winter but in this flat terrain, it's not a deterrent to getting my rounds loaded out. It makes for a pigged up mess but they come outta there. I much prefer cool to cold weather for working up firewood. No sweat. No bugs, bees or ticks. :)

like pretty much everybody else i like fall and spring, last year we had barely any snow and i cut all winter long. this year i hadnt touched a saw to wood since december, until last friday. and that was right along a driveway, i still wont go out in the woods til the snow starts disappearing. its waist deep...no fun.

The roads are rocked, the ground drains well. If we didn't cut in the wet season, we'd have no firewood.

Summer is fire season. In fact, around August, there is usually a ban on firewood cutting due to the fire danger.

What is this "mud" you speak of? The only mud here is on the bottom of the Arkansas river.

I cut in the winter. Best days are in the 30s with sun and no wind.

I have a very limited cutting season. We start when we are done with storage sheds for the year, this year that was Jan 1st. And we cut until we have to start with sheds again in the spring. I think this will be my last week-end in the woods. Supposed to hit 48 this week-end and has been warm the last couple of days. Snow has been melting and the frost is coming out of the ground. Might even get stuck with the tractor this week-end but we will see. Will start splitting the pile in my free time to make sure we have enough ready to go for next season. We sell firewood, I have about 10 cords split and stacked already, god knows how much is in the pile.

View attachment 287277View attachment 287278View attachment 287279View attachment 287280View attachment 287281

Latest posts

Back