what would u rather cut in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a very limited cutting season. We start when we are done with storage sheds for the year, this year that was Jan 1st. And we cut until we have to start with sheds again in the spring. I think this will be my last week-end in the woods. Supposed to hit 48 this week-end and has been warm the last couple of days. Snow has been melting and the frost is coming out of the ground. Might even get stuck with the tractor this week-end but we will see. Will start splitting the pile in my free time to make sure we have enough ready to go for next season. We sell firewood, I have about 10 cords split and stacked already, god knows how much is in the pile.

View attachment 287277View attachment 287278View attachment 287279View attachment 287280View attachment 287281

looks to be great start on your season.. how does the wagon u are useing unload?

Unless there's a blow down blocking a trail my saws don't run from mid-May to mid-September. I've never liked working in the heat; sweat, bugs, and sticky woodchips take the fun right out of it for me. Cool, crisp fall days, and late February or early March when the snow starts to compact are my favourites. But if the wind is calm, the snow no deeper than my knees, and the temperature above -20C I'm happy to cut.

In The winter after hunting and before trout season. Still get some as people want rid of, and on state forest in summer along roads before everybody else starts.

I cut all year long if I can, do not mind the heat but prefer the Fall..
Today was Brutal for mud..

Ideal temp for me is in the 25-40 range. I'll do "warm", but not "hot", (past 80). If cutting on your own property of course you can pick the time. But many times you have to cut when the opportunity presents itself.

The one thing I hate though is a lot of wind. Even if everything is already on the ground, I don't like cutting on a windy day.

Just keep the methane IN bovine...... :biggrinbounce2:

It was -21 C here one day I was blocking. I stay in if the wind chill gets much more than - 30. You're right about different climates. How hot does it get there?

The block where I cut, probably a bit below zero celcius to about 38 degrees C in summer....
It is about 400m above sea level... And 41 degrees south.

Would be very rare for snow to settle there, but not impossible. Gets very hot though for Tasmania.

The block where I cut, probably a bit below zero celcius to about 38 degrees C in summer....

It is about 400m above sea level... And 41 degrees south.

Would be very rare for snow to settle there, but not impossible. Gets very hot though for Tasmania.

Yeah, see, at 38 I'd be laying under a tree with a hose down my pants. 28 is quite warm for here, 30 is unusual. We only used to see that every few years but we had 30 a few times last summer.

A month ago there was 5 feet of snow here in the backyard but it will all be gone by sunday.

-30 here occasionally.

:msp_ohmy: if its below about 5 degrees C that's when you want to be in front of the fire!

Different climates I guess..... And at 5, I'd be working fast just to keep warm.

Different climates indeed! I usually wear two coats when I head out cutting in the winter, take one off when I get to where I'll be cutting while I get my gear organised and tramp down any snow for good footing around the tree or logs. Then I'll take the other coat off and work in my shirtsleeves, but any time I stop for a break one of the coats goes back on pretty quick. Our temps range from a few days at -35C or less in January/February to a few days in the high 30's in July/August. With that range anyone should be able to find the perfect cutting weather for themselves.

Back