what would you charge for this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BewtifulTreeMan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
how much would you charge to remove this silver maple? a simple flop into the the front yard. slight lean towards house, had to climb a bit to put a line in it for pulling it over. top ended up right on the sidewalk making for pretty easy cleanup. logs and chips hauled away. I'm looking for serious answers here :Eye:?

I'd say probably around $600. Would have to get a better look at the site, equipment available, and the tree to give a definate $ amount.

treeman82 said:
I'd say probably around $600. Would have to get a better look at the site, equipment available, and the tree to give a definate $ amount.

hey thanks for your guesstamate,

Should equipment available really matter? Shouldn't i sort of substitute additional labor to make up for lack of equipment? obviously i cant go under bid a company with a feller buncher on a big land clearing job, but shouldn't i try to be similar to the big boys on pricing?

apologies if i misunderstood your meaning

I'd go $975 just to be under $1k , sounds a little better.

What should you make per manhour?
Multiply that times, what...8 to 10 manhours, plus a little travel time.
At $75. per MHR, that's about $600 to $750 just to fell it and clean up.
Add some for the stump, and a good deal more if you take away the wood.
How does that shake out with what happened? What did you get for the job?

Before I looked at the posts I was thinking $750 for this time of year. It would take my crew two hours to do that job. In the summer I could get $950.

$420, no stump grinding, and we took out those two bushes by the front door. took two of us about 3 1/2 hours.

then we spent it all on beer and smokes :)

we shoot for $50 per man hour, might have to up that a bit

$600 to remove and $65 to stump. Guys, the other question is what if it had to be climbed and had rigging envolved?? Would you all charge the same or would it change?

The amount that anyone can get away with charging is directly dependent on the local market's accepted amount.

Even here in southern Manitoba, I have to change my quotations depending on location. If bidding outside of Brandon, population of around 40k, I have to lower my rates to stay competitive. Whereas within city limits, which has more competition, I can get closer to what the job's worth.

If you over-price your work ........ word will spread quick enough ......... and it will come back and bit you in the backside! PHC allows certified individuals and those with excellent reputations the ability to charge more than their competition, but when dealing with removals, it's a touchy area!

The tree you showed .............. I would have taken it out, cleaned up, and hauled away for probably $450 ............. keeping in mind we are all looking at a picture. Then probably another $50 to 75 for stump grinding. I'd probably be slapped in the face if I told the homeowner that it was going to cost $1000+. But all the more power to those who can...........

a well priced job will lead to other work,highballing everything youll soon be outa work $400 in your pockets better than in someone elses :) tree jobs are what your happy to do the job for IMO

The other side of the coin is low priced work will keep you so busy you don't have time to realize you're not actually making any money! :dizzy:

I'd have said around $500 by myself, a little more depending on who helped. I think equipment on site would change my bid. If you don't have a chipper, then even though it would be more work I think around here you'd have to be cheaper. I think a chipper kind conveys a more established co. It looks a little better than a trailer.....

You made no mention of going back in the spring to plant a new tree? Did you talk to the customer about placing a new tree a bit futher away from the house in the coming spring? Maybe it's just me but I'd try to sell him on a new tree to go along with the take down.

geofore, i had not thought of that, i'll run it by the customer

we'll be going back to put the finishing touches on the cleanup after the snow is all mented off anyway

thanks for your input everbody

If he says no, keep him on a list of removals you did and call him back next spring or next fall and see if he changes his mind. Some customers are tired of cleaning up leaves/gutters and need a little time to realize they really wanted a tree but in a better location. It wasn't the tree it was the location of the tree they were unhappy with.

Latest posts

Back