What would you choose

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stmonnat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok somebody gives you $3000 dollars and you have to spend it all on one saw. The saw can come from any era but it has to be your only saw,what would you buy

post-5056-1233041072.jpg

M249 SAW

[video=youtube;X4nfZu8VqgQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4nfZu8VqgQ[/video]

Last edited:
Not aware of any saw of olden days or current production that cost three thousand dollars new. If you mean some collectable...I don't have an opinion really on that, not really into collecting. I think it is cool other guys do it, fun to look at the nice restores, etc.

Prices on "collectables" are too varied and it is too personal, collector by collector, what would be worth what. someone might be willing to drop one hundred for the same saw someone else would love to have in a collection, say to complete a series, and maybe pay one thousand for it, whatever, like that.

Now custom built, different story, say start with your number one fav saw, and have it miced, blueprinted, every single bit of it. Not just a rebuild and port job, a full custom build to make it both powerful and long term *reliable*. Something worthy of really being called "cast iron" "it's a tank" etc. all the way to maybe custom crank/rod/cylinder/piston, etc. Like a custom race saw is built..just a worksaw instead. Maybe that could come in at three thousand.

Beyond that, I really have never run all that many different saws, so can't say what would be good to start with. Most likely something in the 60-70 cc class, your generic "all around one saw plan" saw.

There's an immaculate 090 on ebay right now. Buy-it-now price is something like $4,700. Might be able to get it for $3,000. That'd be my choice. Or a not-so-perfect one can easily be had for way less than $3,000. Course, I could make up the difference buying long bars and loops of chain. :D :D

So if you all wanted a saw, a 090 would make you all happy????

Would you use it all of the time?

Or just take it out on pretty weekends and cut Balsa wood with it?

I would get a few oldies-but-goodies then I would get a brand new Stihl 441 M-Tronic or a 660, or a 800. The possibilities are endless!

There's an immaculate 090 on ebay right now. Buy-it-now price is something like $4,700. Might be able to get it for $3,000. That'd be my choice. Or a not-so-perfect one can easily be had for way less than $3,000. Course, I could make up the difference buying long bars and loops of chain. :D :D

I was referring to new ones! :msp_wink:

A Wild Thing and $2900 of gas, mix oil, bar lube and chains.

The amount of money isn't really relevant it's just what was gave to you and you were told to spend it on one saw and you are not aloud to have any other saw period what is the one saw you want

Back